The Annual Summer Camp Thread - CY 2009

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: The Annual Summer camp Thread

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:16 am

wagionvigil wrote:In the next couple of years you will be seeing councils closing scout camps that are not servicing X# of scouts. I know of one council camp that does not see 500 scouts a summer and you cannot operate a quality program with that small of attendance.

I know one that is only 1 week and has all volunteer staff that seems to work out very well they offer many different merit badges that most camps don't. If enough kids are interested in a badge they will get a councilor and offer it at camp.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby biglou » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:43 pm

I know which one you are talking about. The waterfront is absolutely gorgeous! You cannot beat Kinzua!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:11 pm

The council I grew up in (Cahokia Mounds) merged with Piasa Bird Council in 1990 to form Trails West Council (Illinois).
Last month it merged with the Okaw Valley Council.

This class 400 council now has 3 fully-outfitted camps.
It needs one, at most two.

Scouters in the new combined council are all in an uproar over closing/selling one or two camps.
Emotion and memories are obstructing what should be a sound real estate decision.

If someone (or a group) feels strongly about NOT closing a camp then get out your checkbook.
Pledge operating/capital funds (better be well into 6-figures) for that particular piece of property.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby alex gregory » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:18 pm

wagionvigil wrote:If you have 10 councils in an area should there be 25 or 30 camps in that area?

Probably not, particularly when most Councils cannot seem to support more than one or two camps. What I would like to see is a few more larger properties with high-adventure programs for older scouts and Venturers. If the high-adventure programs at Philmont and Sea Base are as popular and hard to get as they appear to be, then there is clearly not enough supply for the demand.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Camp Sydney Dew is a small camp & a relatively small population wise district. A number of years ago the powers that be were looking at closing it. A group of dedicated supporters got together and worked to save it. Realizing that they were not going to compete on facilities, they decided to compete on customer service. The staff there will bend over backwards to meet your needs. So in some cases, smaller is better.

Disclosure: Sydney Dew is not in my Council & I have nothing to do with it other than spending a pleasant week there with my troop in 2006.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

The Annual Summer Camp Thread - CY 2009

Postby Quailman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:08 pm

My troop just got back from Buffalo Trail Scout Ranch in west Texas. I didn't go but my son did. Apparently he completed every MB he signed up for, eight in all, including swimming. As hot as it was there, it was hotter and way more humid here at home. Our daytime high the other day was 104. Theirs was only 92 that day, and they cooled of to around 60 each night.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:27 pm

Just got back from Worth Ranch (Longhorn Council camp located west of Fort Worth) and it was HOT!!!!

Daytime highs the last two days was 103 with heat index of 110.

Spend most of days making sure all the boys (other troops included) drank plenty of water. My troop didn't lose a boy, but several had to be taken to local hospital for treatment of heat exhaustion and dehydration. Sleeping at night almost impossible because of the heat and lack of a breeze.

I ended up teaching Radio MB since the scheduled instructor had a family emergency the day before camp started. Was able to call in a couple of folks to assist and had 67 boys earn their Radio MB.

I also did a lot of walking and ended up losing almost ten pounds.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Got back a week ago from Seven Ranges Scout Reservation (south of Kensington, OH).

Nineteen scouts (8 first year campers) earned 59 merit badges (and one partial - Rifle Shooting).
Upon return last Saturday the advancement folks conducted 5 Tfoot, a First, Star, and Life BORs.

Our autistic scout earned Canoeing, Leatherwork, and Indian Lore.
He also completed his Tfoot BOR.

Nobody got homesick or left early.

One severly sprained ankle that required transport for x-ray (my son).
One of my troop committee members present is an orthopedic surgeon (and Eagle Scout)...nice to have around.

Daily temps in the high 70s with lows in the upper 50s at night.
Light rain showers on Wed (no storms).

Mosquitos not out yet.

Darn near perfect...
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby cballman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Six days and counting unitl my Third Final year going to Scout Camp. I expect to have about 38 boys going to camp with us this year. I will get the final number on Tuesday night.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby kwildman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Is Seven Ranges still requiring each Scout to bring fire wood to camp? Just curious how they are getting away with all the EAB quarantine areas.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 am

kwildman wrote:Is Seven Ranges still requiring each Scout to bring fire wood to camp? Just curious how they are getting away with all the EAB quarantine areas.

Good question (as Carroll County is outside the current EAB quarantine area).

Only those Scouts wanting to participate in the Pipestone (camp honors) program bring a bundle of wood to camp.
The firewood must be bark-less (dead/dry), larger than your pinkie, and smaller than your thumb.
Total length between 12 and 16 inches.
Pipestone participants bring one cubic foot of bound wood (sticks).

A Scout can also collect his wood while in camp.

The ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources) has given a waiver to the Buckeye Council for the transport of this size wood. (Since the size of the wood being transported is so small there's no fear of EAB transport.)

Scouts coming to Seven Ranges from outside of Ohio do not need to bring wood.
Taking fire wood across state lines would violate the Federal EAB quarantine.
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Just got back from EBSR in central WI. Had 12 boys in camp, all seemed to have a great time. Weather was a little warm at the start of the week, but it got better as the week went on. Then I came home and caught a cold. Oh well.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 pm

jr56 wrote:Just got back from EBSR in central WI. Had 12 boys in camp, all seemed to have a great time. Weather was a little warm at the start of the week, but it got better as the week went on. Then I came home and caught a cold. Oh well.

When I was a boy with Troop 39 from Fort Sheridan, Illinois (Northeast Illinois Council) back in 1980 thru 1982, we attended Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation in Pearson, Wisconsin. Great memories of northern Wisconsin.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:28 am

just got back from a week at Chief Logan Reservation. Took 15 youth and 4 adults. Very good time by all. Got home Saturday and slept the rest of the weekend. Dont know where the kids get the energy.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:52 am

kwildman wrote:Dont know where the kids get the energy.

They drain it off of us adults :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:25 am

kwildman wrote:Dont know where the kids get the energy.

Billiken wrote: They drain it off of us adults :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Don't know whether to laugh, or cry? Laugh because it's funny... Or, cry because you're right.

Ah, but we have our secret weapon from Wood Badge... where you learn the secret ninja art of drawing energy from the nine-tailed Fox (or, in my case, a Bear.) -- Uh, then again, maybe I've been watching too much Anime, huh? :roll:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby kwildman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:35 am

Woodbadge Critters - would make a great cartoon. LOL
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:59 pm

#1 just got back from a week as a Counselor-in-Training (read, volunteer). They had only 40% of the volunteers of the previous week, and were short two staff members. Kids worked 17 hour days. All the Scouts I've known who volunteered were able to work on their own stuff during down time, but there was NO down time. I think they ought to offer to let them go a week for free as a provisional, and am going to suggest that (to no end, I'm sure). #1 enjoyed the camaraderie, and said if it wasn't for the one rude old coot at the beachfront, he'd be willing to do it again, even under the same circumstances. Unfortunately, that one director was "asserting his authority" to #1's detriment.

Any of you have sons who volunteer (no pay) at camp?
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:51 pm

our council gives the CIT's a week at camp free
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Previous

Return to Summer Camp