The Moon Landing

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

The Moon Landing

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:04 am

I was Aquatics Director during the summer of 1969 at Camp Conestoga. THe Moon landing was on Sunday during check in. WE had a storm and check in at the pool was cancelled. So we got to watch the moon landing in the "staff lounge". WHere were you for this Historical event?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: The Moon Landing

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:14 am

I was 1 1/2 years old and don't remember a thing.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:25 am

I've been to two games at Yankee Stadium in my life (and countless games at Shea). I watched as they announced it on the scoreboard during my first visit.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:49 am

I was 8 yrs old and at my Cub Pack's family picnic at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Belleville, IL.

We were outside but I kept running back into the bar where the T.V. was.

I remember an adult saying kids weren't allowed in the bar and another saying "so what...this is history".
We got to stay.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby ccjj » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:07 am

At that time, I was in my mom's stomach, waiting to be born in November.

ccjj
ccjj
Star

Postby 9009scoutmaster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:07 am

I was nine years old and we were at our next door neigbors home. Kids watching 12 inch black/white TV downstairs and adults watching up stairs.
1978 Eagle Scout
Former SM
GHL District Chattahoochee Council
SR-668
BEAVERS BUILD
9009scoutmaster
Life

Postby kwildman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:32 am

I was three... dont remember a thing.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:22 pm

I was 5 and although I remember that I heard about it, I don't think I was watching it on TV, nor do I think I had any clue of it being any sort of important accomplishment.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby VenturingL » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:32 pm

I was 10. My family spent the day in a neighboring town, but we made it home in plenty of time to watch it on TV. My younger brother & I knew we were going to get to stay up later than usual because of it's importance. My 5th grade teacher had challenged us at the end ot the school year to make a scrapbook to help us remember the event. I did - I cut every article out of the newspaper each day that had anything related to the moon landing. Another thing - the kids in the town we lived in (very small, in Ohio) took pride in & were inspired by the fact that Armstrong, too, had grown up in a small town in Ohio.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:55 pm

The Apollo 11 Crew arrived back to Earth before I arrived. I didn't arrive until November 1969.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 pm

VenturingL wrote:I was 10. My family spent the day in a neighboring town, but we made it home in plenty of time to watch it on TV. My younger brother & I knew we were going to get to stay up later than usual because of it's importance. My 5th grade teacher had challenged us at the end ot the school year to make a scrapbook to help us remember the event. I did - I cut every article out of the newspaper each day that had anything related to the moon landing. Another thing - the kids in the town we lived in (very small, in Ohio) took pride in & were inspired by the fact that Armstrong, too, had grown up in a small town in Ohio.

Wapakoneta is a very small town near where I grew up. They have the Neil Armstrong museum there and we went regularly for scouts and school field trips.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:17 pm

I hate to be a smart alec :lol: but I did not exist!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby ccjj » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Scoutaholic...I too arrived in November of 1969.

I did attend Neil Armstrong middle school. It was built in the middle 1970's and named him!

ccjj
ccjj
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:22 pm

I had just had my ECOH. We lived in Guam so we were across the International Date Line so it was already the 21st of July.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 pm

kwildman wrote:Wapakoneta is a very small town near where I grew up. They have the Neil Armstrong museum there and we went regularly for scouts and school field trips.

There's a town near where I live now that is often mentioned in reference to the moon shots. In fact, its name was the first word uttered when the Eagle had touched down. And Apollo 13 immortalized it in a phrase that's become a figure of speech that's used any time something goes wrong. Its nickname is Space City. :mrgreen:

A very popular outing for cub scouts is to do a lock-in at Space Center Houston.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:50 am

I was at the the movie studio helping the special effects crew film the event.

:D :D just kidding!!!!!! :D :D
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby JH-SM-T03 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:21 pm

I was spending a few days with my future wife's family before returning home from spending 2 years in Uncle Sam's Army. I helped her dad move in a new color TV so we could watch the landing.
Jim Hunter
SM T803
JH-SM-T03
Second Class

Postby jr56 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:34 pm

I was 13 and attending the Jamboree in Idaho. We listened to it on the radio in camp.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:50 am

I was at Buckskin Scout Reservation for Summer Camp. We were under a dining fly that had quickly been put up behind the shower house (because it was raining) watching a very bad black and white picture on small TV. I you have ever been to that camp or even look it up you will find it very near the National Radio Obseratory at Greenbank, WV - i.e. in what the FCC calls a "radio quiet" zone - especially in that year. We had a terrible time getting any signal.

We thought we were getting really bad picture on the TV. Later we found that even back in the rest of the world the pictures weren't any better.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:51 am

I had just graduated from college and was moving to the Hudson Valley area of New York, where I spent the next 35 years teaching HS Mathematics. But, my Dad worked on the production of the lunar rover, so sure, we watched everything we could on TV. That was also Woodstock Festival year. Didn't go to that!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Summer Camp