Medical Forms

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Medical Forms

Postby t305spl » Sun May 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Hey...

What do the camps you have attended or worked at require?

-Class I-II?
-Class III?
-OTC Medication Form?
-Medication Cards for each med?

Just looking to find out what other camps require when it comes to Medication and Health related forms? If you have links to those forms that would help too!
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Sun May 04, 2008 7:33 pm

The camps I have attended all follow requirements in G2SS. Normal summer camp program require class 2s for the scouts and class 3s for the over 40s. If they are doing an high adventure type activity they require a class 3.

Northern Tier, Sea Base, & Philmont require the equivalent of a class three on their on form.

We have always handled prescription & OTC medications be collecting them & having Scout come get them on schedule. I have always told the scouts & the parents that the scouts are responsible for taking their on medication. (Even if we help the forgetful ones to remember.)

There are special cases like asthma that scout carry their medication with them.

The normal Class 1 to 3 medical form are available on BSA's web site
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby deweylure » Sun May 04, 2008 8:33 pm

The summer camp we go to collects all medication and you ae supposed to see the nurse to get your meds. the exclusions are epi pens and inhalers.

Do all BSA camps dpo this or is it a case of a state rule?

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun May 04, 2008 8:42 pm

Our camp requires all meds be at the health lodge and if the scout does not show up they go and get him. This is especially important for the scouts on ADHD meds.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby t305spl » Sun May 04, 2008 9:03 pm

Let me clarify a little bit with regards to my question:

A Class I form is required for anyone staying in camp less than 72 hours, a Class II is required for everyone under 40 that is staying over 72 hours, and a Class III is required for anyone over 40.(This is non-High Adventure just BSA Resident Camp)

My revised questions:

-Does the Summer Camp you attend/work at require a separate form for OTC Medications?
-Does the Health Officer dispense the OTC as he/she feels necessary, or is it required that the individual bring them just like prescription medications?
-Does the Health Officer require the medications to be in separate individual resealable bags clearly labeled and then all the individuals medications are put in a larger resealable bag, if not how is it done?
-Does the Health Officer require that a Medication Card is in the bag with each medication(drug name, dosage, side effects...)?

All the answers vary depending on State, Camp, Health Officer, and Council...just wondering how it's done at other camps!

Thanks!
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

State of Connecticut Dictates whats required here

Postby SMTroop240 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:59 am

The State of Connecticut’s requirements for summer camps go well beyond the G2SS, A Physical within 2 years, or one during the 6th, and 10th grade, whichever is sooner, this has to be documented on the State of Connecticut’s equivalent of the Class III form. Medical Administration Form for each medication to be administered (I have one scout that needs 7 of these). An allergy treatment plan for scouts with diagnosed, potentially life threatening, allergies that details the actions to be taken by the Scout, Scouts Leaders, and Camp Medical Staff in the event of an allergy attack. All of these forms must be signed every year by the Scouts Physician. Needless to say, it is a paperwork nightmare.
East Lyme, the home of Lyme disease.
SMTroop240
Second Class

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon May 05, 2008 11:26 pm

To t305spl: at our camp in upstate NY, the answer to all 4 of your questions is "yes", Everything you've listed is that way at Camp Tri-Mount.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Tue May 06, 2008 9:19 am

Also, for those age 40 and over... Your Class III physical is only good for one year from the date of the physical.

Example: I got my last physical and attended Summer Camp in July of last year. But, I'll be attending Camp again this year in June. And, if there are no major changes, my last physical is still good.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Quailman » Tue May 06, 2008 9:38 am

RWSmith wrote:Also, for those age 40 and over... Your Class III physical is only good for one year from the date of the physical.

That's a great policy. It forces me to get regular checkups that I never would do otherwise. (though I'm going next Monday after a fifteen month gap - I've not been camping since January)
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby t305spl » Tue May 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Yes, the requirement is if you are over 40 you must have a physical within the year. If your physical will expire during the session at camp, you must have a new one completed before camp. If you do not, you will only be allowed to stay in camp for under 24 hours.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby WVBeaver05 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:59 pm

t305spl wrote:Does the Summer Camp you attend/work at require a separate form for OTC Medications?
-Does the Health Officer dispense the OTC as he/she feels necessary, or is it required that the individual bring them just like prescription medications?
-Does the Health Officer require the medications to be in separate individual resealable bags clearly labeled and then all the individuals medications are put in a larger resealable bag, if not how is it done?
-Does the Health Officer require that a Medication Card is in the bag with each medication(drug name, dosage, side effects...)?

The camp we attend most often has a separate form for OTC that shows what OTC meds are approved by the parent for the Health Officer to administer.

The camp my son attended his first year required that they be brought, bagged, etc. as you describe. My son was finishing a course of 4 a day antibiotics and 3 a day antihisamines (I think). Boy what a mess. We literally spent hours preparing the bags, forms, etc. In spite of all the effort (simplfied by scanning the dosage form, filling in part, printing multiples, etc.) I was feeling pretty confident in their process. That is until he came home and said he missed like 3 doses because he and the SM couldn't find the Health Officer at the appropriate time. In this case, for these meds, my 11 year old would have done no worse and probably better if he had been able to just keep them with him and take them. Not everyone is the same and not all meds are the same, but in spite of all the "stuff" we had to do I consider it to have been counter productive.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 am

Our council has phased in over a 3 year period the Class III Medical form.

If you are under 40 the physical (and form) is good for 3 years if over 40 the physical (and form) is good for one year.

In addition, they have a supplemental OTC medical form as well as a video/photo release form that must be completed by all campers.

Finally, the SM is responsible for administering/tracking the administering of meds for campers. They are provided a tracking sheet that is to be completed and provided back to the parent at the end of the week that details who/what medication/and when administered.

Samples would be available on the GPC website www.gpc-bsa.org

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby t305spl » Wed May 07, 2008 6:23 pm

This Summer I will be working as the Health Officer at Camp. This is my first time on Staff at a BSA Summer Camp, but it seems like it will be a great experience.

I have been gathering information regarding Medication/Medical Forms so I can formulate how I am going to review, record, update, and file the forms.

It looks like I(or another member of the team that is doing check-in) will re-review each Medical Form during Unit Check-In at the Health Lodge. I have created a Medication Form that will be completed during Unit Check-In at the Health Lodge so each Medication is recorded along with such things as Route, Dosage, known Side Effects and Times. This sheet will be initialed each time the Scout/Scouter receives their medications.

We do allow Unit Leaders to hold and dispense a scout's medications, but I must have a detailed letter on file in the Health Lodge. It also must have all proper signatures, and of course the medications always have to be locked and stored properly.

Getting my ducks in line...so the Scouts/Units will have a smooth, easy, and (most importantly) stress free Health Lodge Check-In and Medication system...and a safe and enjoyable time at camp.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:54 pm

I don't really know. I just gave them a copy of my athletic physical for this year.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Re: Medical Forms

Postby lowsmith » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Last year our summer camp began placing lockable containers (troop must bring their own lock) in which to place medications. Troops can choose to have the health lodge keep and administer or they can lock the meds at camp and administer. works out well as in the past it has been nearly impossible to get all of the boys to remeber to go to the lodge (especially as our camp is quite large and the health lodge can be a long walk).

Also this year the camp started offering health pre-checks. we were able to collect health forms and mail in copies to be screened by the health officer. this prevented the traditional long wait for health re-checks on check in. This worked out really well.
lowsmith
Scout

Re: Medical Forms

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:08 pm

Class II for the boys; IIIs for the over-40. Requiring a physical every year for over-40 seems like overkill; it's okay for those of us with health insurance, but one of our ASMs had to shell out $140 to have his done.

For most meds (stimulants were an exception) the camp medic gave troops a choice; the meds could be administered by him, or kept and administered by the SM. He kept a copy of all the data. We have one Scout who takes stuff 4x a day. That would have been a major pain to keep sending him to the medical building. Instead, his mom put each of the combinations for each time in a baggie, labeled with the day/date/time. Meds were meted out by the SM's wife, and the bags were kept as proof that he'd taken them. We've done this on countless campouts and activities for almost two years with this particular Scout.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Return to Summer Camp