Camp Applying Age/Rank Restrictions on MB Classes

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby deweylure » Thu May 01, 2008 9:03 am

Why won't you give a partial? I thought if a scout tries a badge and does not complete it he gets a partial, That way he can go home and finish it with more time to practice with a local counselor. It seems that without the partial he must start over. Please correct me if this is some type of scout policy. For the sake of discussion say the scout is 14 and did not finish the badge at camp.

Maybe I missed the intention of your post.

deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 01, 2008 9:09 am

Do to the Safety involved in Climbing I do not accept a partial unless it is from a scout camp and I personally do not give partials. Most scouts do not get the MB because they do not rappel or make the climbs. Those are the big two in that merit badge. It is usually a fear thing.The rest of the MB takes no time at all to complete.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby RWSmith » Fri May 02, 2008 9:05 pm

milominderbinder2 wrote:The BSA Advancement Polices #33088 are very clear on this.

"Any Boy Scout may earn any merit badge at any time."

True. Very true.

milominderbinder2 wrote:We can't add an age or any other requirement or prerequisite to a merit badge. We can't remove requirements either.

Ah! Now, there's the rub. We needs to be defined... It is very true that "We" (individuals, i.e., SM, MBC, UL, etc.) can not (and should not) prevent any Scout from earning any MB due to his age, with one notable exception: a parent. (That last part is not in the 33088; nonetheless, it remains a fact.)

But, We, as in an entity, i.e., the District or Council, can impose age restrictions at Summer Camp or other (District- or Council-level) group events in the interest of risk management. This frequently involves adopting certain, established BSA guidelines, i.e., BSA's Age-appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activities, or BSA's COPE standards, as prerequisites for participation in certain "activities"... even MB classes.

FWIW, I'm a purist of the worst kind. Barring any safety reasons adopted (or recognized) by National (and there are a couple), I say a kid should be able to take (and fail, miserably) any MB he isn't ready for, as long as the MBC doesn't allow that failure to dissuade the Scout from trying again, later. Besides, that's what mamas and daddys, and SMs are for... to guide that 11-y/o, 67 lb. lad to (maybe) wait a couple of years before trying out that Lifesaving MB, at Summer Camp, esp. considering he might knock a 16-y/o out of his last opportunity to take it. So, I can see where it goes both ways. So, if young lad wants to take the MB, I say, "let him!" And though I prefer to see such decisions made on a case-by-case basis, program directors, e.g, Summer Camp or COPE, should be (and are) allowed some prudence in setting restrictions (age, size, etc., as appropriate) for certain group activities/events, in line with those guidelines/safety standards.
Last edited by RWSmith on Sat May 03, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:12 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Do to the Safety involved in Climbing I do not accept a partial unless it is from a scout camp and I personally do not give partials. Most scouts do not get the MB because they do not rappel or make the climbs. Those are the big two in that merit badge. It is usually a fear thing.The rest of the MB takes no time at all to complete.

Doesn't Larual (spelled wrong) Caverns require you to take Climbing in full anyway?
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat May 03, 2008 6:44 am

Yes
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Previous