Small Merit Badge Offering at Summer Camp

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Small Merit Badge Offering at Summer Camp

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:51 am

The boys this year wanted to go to a camp where it wasn't so hot, so we decided on a camp in New Mexico (in the mountains).

Yesterday I downloaded the Leaders' Guide from their Council website and the merit badge offerings is very limited. Below is what is offered:

Merit Badges offer at Camp Wehinahpay:

Archery
Basketry
Camping (P)
Climbing
Environmental Science
First Aid
Fish & Wildlife Management (P)
Fishing (P)
Fly-Fishing (P)
Forestry
Indian Lore
Leatherwork
Orienteering
Pioneering
Pulp & Paper (P)
Rifle Shooting
Soil & Water Conservation
Shotgun Shooting
Wilderness Survival
Woodcarving

(P) – These Merit Badges will only be awarded partial completion at Camp.

I am going to recommend to our boys that they sign up for First Aid. They all earned Environmental Science last year at summer camp.

There are no water-related merit badges due to this being a small camp and the temperatures would be too cool to be on the water or swimming. The boys all knew this and were okay with it.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:54 am

do the boys get to pick their own? Or do they all have to take the same?

I like Orienteering I think all the boys need to attempt this one.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Fibonacci » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:33 pm

The volunteer fire-fighters in our troop do NOT recommend taking First Aid at camp. One just told me "I hope my life doesn't depend on a Scout who earned First Aid at Summer Camp." Many camps have such fast paced classes that the Scouts don’t really have time to master the requirements.

Since this camp is in an environment very different than your home, how about suggesting that the Scouts try Fish & Wildlife Conservation, Fishing, Forestry, Soil & Water, or Wilderness Survival. These might give them a closer view of a new ecosystem. I hope your Scouts really enjoy this (new to them) camp!

Also, it looks like the other camp in this council is entirely an aquatic camp. That's a curious way to design camps, but it certainly seems to work.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Normally, I wouldn't recommend First Aid at camp because of exactly what was stated.

However, I have spoken to the person (Scoutmaster in my district) who recommend this camp. He stated that the course is very thourough and is actually taught by an EMT.

I have already spoken to my nephew and he wants to try Orienteering, along with Wilderness Survival and Rifle Shooting and maybe Climbing.

I just want everyone to have fun......and me too!
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Only partials for FISHING?! No offense, but was an EASY merit badge.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Re: Small Merit Badge Offering at Summer Camp

Postby scoutaholic » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:16 am

mt_goodrich wrote:...There are no water-related merit badges due to this being a small camp and the temperatures would be too cool to be on the water or swimming....

Too cool?!? Our council runs the highest scout camp in the country (10,400 feet), which is also a few hundred miles further north from this one you mention in New Mexico. Camp Steiner offers 24 MBs this year, including Swimming, Lifesaving, Canoeing, Rowing, and Small-Boat Sailing. I believe they also offer the mile swim.

Many of the scout camps in the Utah mountains offer a polar bear event before sunrise, but that doesn't stop them doing other waterfront activities during the days.

I earned lifesaving as a youth in a mountain lake not far from Camp Steiner, and survived the temperatures fine.
I earned my BSA Lifeguard in Bear Lake - several miles further North, but lower altitude.

I think the coldest lake I ever swam was Emerald Lake on Mount Timpanogos. The lake is at about 11,000 feet at the bottom of a glacier, and regularly has icebergs floating in it. That was cold! I wouldn't recommend swiming in that water for any longer than you have too.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:09 am

I hear what you are saying. Then again, this council has another summer camp that is strictly water related.

I think the problem with the fishing merit badge is the pond they have isn't big and they might only have one species of fish. I dunno :?:
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Fibonacci » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:07 am

A second problem with finishing the Fishing merit badge might be the requirement to "clean and cook" one. This can create quite a smelly mess, and it appears that your chosen camp does not allow cooking in the unit or food in the tent area.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:21 am

SOunds like Bear country for me
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby mt_goodrich » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:59 pm

wagionvigil wrote:SOunds like Bear country for me

It sure is....I'll be right at home!!!!!
Mike
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Return to Summer Camp