Camp Wehinahpay (Conquistador Council)

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camp Wehinahpay (Conquistador Council)

Postby mt_goodrich » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 pm

We have decided to go to Camp Wehinahpay for Summer Camp this year. I know it is early, but it is a small camp and only hold four sessions.

Interesting is that because of cold weather, it doesn't begin camp until June 24th and it ends on July 26th.

We weren't sure the boys would be interested since there is no swimming pool or lake to swim in. They were all fine with it.

They wanted to go somewhere with mountains and cooler weather. Last year we attended Camp Pioneer in Mena, Arkansas (run by the Caddo Area Council). They loved the camp, but it sure was hot and humid. Just about everyone had heat rash (including me). Had to run to the local Walmart to get a tube of Desitin and it did the trick.

This is the second year of going out of council for camp. We try to stay in council every three years.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Fibonacci » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:04 am

Our local school districts are usually in session through the 3rd week of June, so a June 24th start date is quite normal for us.

Our troop travels out of council also. I think that we are usually in council (two hour drive) about two years out of five. Other camps that we have attended are 4 to 7 hours away.

They wanted to go somewhere with mountains and cooler weather.
What other criteria do you use for selecting a camp? It sounds like your Scouts are eager to try new places. Kudos to them!

Camps in this area start filling weeks in September. Most have asked for a first payment in December, and a second one this month. Do some councils have most Scout Troops making last minute choices?
Fibonacci
Life

Postby mt_goodrich » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:12 am

The application for this camp came out in October. We knew we wanted to go and had gotten a video from them, but figure application wouldn't be available until first of the year.

I had sent them an email asking a question about something and in the return email, they attached a 2008 Summer Camp application. Stated that they are a small camp and that it tends to fill up quick. We went ahead and filled it out and submitted the $100.00 deposit. Next installment isn't due until May 2008.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Return to Summer Camp