Two (Separate) Weeks of Summer Camp

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Two (Separate) Weeks of Summer Camp

Postby Billiken » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:25 pm

My troop has at least 6 Scouts that expressed interest in attending two weeks of summer camp in 2008.

The first would be troop's "primary" week at camp.
This is always the week of Father's Day in June.
At this camp we cook our own food and sleep in our own tents (known as "outpost" camping at 7Ranges in Kensington, OH).

The second week would be at a different camp, perhaps one closer to home. This would occur in late July.

How common is this?????
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:55 pm

We have had many scouts participate in 2 seperate weeks of summer camp. The first is with our troop and the second is at the same camp in what they call - provisional. The camp puts lone scouters mixed together in one site with camp staff as the leaders. This has worked out great for our scouts that have gone. The boys do like to go together with even numbers so they can share a tent with another troop member. The boys have really liked the experience and the camp offers a discounted rate for the 2nd week.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:28 pm

I have known of some troops that do a council meritbadge camp with the whole troop, and then also offer a high-adventure type camp for the older/more experienced scouts.

Our troop has never done it this way.

For boys who want additional camping, there are plenty of options even if the troop doesn't do it as a group:
NYLT
Provisional camping (as mentioned by ICanCanoeCanU).
Go with a friends troop
Philmont
Jamboree
Etc.

As far as I know, our council hasn't offered provisional camping for several years. They used to have a provisional group every week, so that the SPL could attend the week before his troop, and get to know the camp and staff.
UNP Council (just South of me) has one week where they offer provisional camping. The provisional campers eat with the staff, and camp near the staff boys. Camp staff acts as leaders for the provisional campers 'troop'.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:37 pm

If you like central camp (very different exp.), you could come with my troop. We took kids from all over the state.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 am

In 2006, we offered two weeks of summer camp. The first was at an out of council camp, we had 6 scouts and 5 leaders attend. The second was about three weeks later and was our normal summer camp at our council
camp. We had 14 scouts and 3 adults including 4 of the ones that went to the first camp.

I found it hard to recruit sufficient adults for the second week. The Scouts who participated had a blast at both camps. This year we attended one week at an out of council camp.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:58 am

ICanCanoeCanU wrote:...and the second is at the same camp in what they call - provisional. The camp puts lone scouters mixed together in one site with camp staff as the leaders...

In our council that's called Supertroop. The SM (and possibly assistants) is paid. My youngest went when he was 13, and it was his first experience camping without me. He has cerebral palsy and can't walk very well, so I've always gone with him. He was crying when we left him, but when I returned an hour later to drop off his fishing gear the SM said he was off at the trading post with the other boys. He ended up having a great time and earned six MBs. The SM told me that if your son comes home from camping with his troop and has a bunch of partials you can blame his SM. If he comes home from supertroop with partials you'll blame the SM, the camp, the council, the republican party, Osama Bin Laden and global warming. That's why she and her ASMs worked every evening with every boy to make sure any 'homework' got done.

I recommend this program to parents in our trop each year. The council alos offers a Trail to Eagle camp for one week each summer that is similar in that individual boys attend rather than troops, but the only badges offered are Eagle-required.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:10 pm

I know of several troops that run two summer camps. One camp for the entire troop and another for high adventure camp for older scouts. There was a troop from MD that came to Camp Geronimo in AZ as their high adventure camp.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby fin24000 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:19 pm

Well I went to my troop sumer camp and NAYLE at philmont this year and plan on doing TCT at philmont next year while going to troop sumer camp....... so yeah....
Troop guide
Former: Scribe, Troop guide, Patrol leader, Ast. patrol leader and Troop Webmaster.
Life Scout
OA Ordeal member
SHAC NYLT 073 Staff
SHAC NYLT 063
Philmont NAYLE 2007 session 2

sig updated 5/19/08
fin24000
Star

Return to Summer Camp