Does your sumer camp allow ranks on shirt?

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Shirt

Postby riverwalk » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:36 am

Uniform without official BSA stuff on it? Urban legend, or somebody needs their rules over-ruled. Even in good programs, and even in my biz (Fire Service), a goofy human will slip in somehow. They are with us always. :shock:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Billiken wrote:Wait a mintute......

Are we possibly talking about uniform shirts worn by camp staff, not the scouts attending the camp?

pipestone1991:

There is nothing in the Seven Ranges Leader Guide re uniform with no badge of rank. We'll be there for session #1, in Calumet.

Yes, I did mean staff not campers, my bad.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Thats 1! now for Hubert to find out the information we requested
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear you're a Meal
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby FrankJ » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:33 pm

If you are over 18 then you are no longer a boy scout should not wear a rank patch. If you an eagle then you wear a knot & not the badge. If you are under 18 then you wear your uniform as BSA intended.

I am sure some one will correct me on venturing crew, but even they cannot work on boyscout ranks past 18.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:45 pm

No they cannot but the can work on Ventuiring Awards like Ranger
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Hubert » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:52 pm

Mother says:

"The Greater St. Louis Council camp."

She cant find the paper with the name of the camp, but this is it. They say staff minors cant wear the ranks.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:39 pm

just went through their camp guide. Guess what? Nothing there that I saw. Urban Legend :lol:
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Hubert » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:10 pm

I went there as well, but I do not feel my mother would lie to me about the guy they harpped on. I still believe her on this one. Its not like she heard it from another, it was directly from a guy that works there. :?
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:48 pm

he might have been playing games to see what response he gets
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby ccjj » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:51 pm

It was stated in their staff handbook, of which, I can't find the copy I brought home from NCS. Staff members who are Boy Scouts are not allowed to wear their earned ranks unless they have earned Eagle. I am not sure if it was from a camp in the Greater St Louis Area Council or not. but I am thinking it was. I am looking for all my extra stuff from NCS to find out which camp for sure.

ccjj
ccjj
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:23 am

Ok staff is different
wagionvigil
Site Admin

Postby Hubert » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:29 am

Ok, but how is staff any different? Your still a scout no matter what. Uniform policies should be followed at all times.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:30 am

Hubert wrote:Ok, but how is staff any different? Your still a scout no matter what. Uniform policies should be followed at all times.

Well, let's say one staff member is Tenderfoot......is an Eagle Scout taking his class going to take this Tenderfoot seriously?
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby OldGreyBear » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:58 am

What if an Eagle scout is in a patrol with a First Class scout as the patrol leader? A true Eagle would have no problems taking direction and he knows the pressures of being a leader
OldGreyBear
Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:02 am

Hubert wrote:Ok, but how is staff any different? Your still a scout no matter what. Uniform policies should be followed at all times.

At the 3 camps that I'm familiar with all the staff are members of a Venturing Crew.
(Each council gets the benefit of another unit.)

Can a Crew dictate uniform guidelines re rank?????

Remember, girls in Crew would not have Boy Scout badges of rank on their shirts.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:14 am

pipestone1991 wrote:

Well, let's say one staff member is Tenderfoot......is an Eagle Scout taking his class going to take this Tenderfoot seriously?

If he were a true scout he would. No matter what though, a scout is proud of his rank. He should wear it proudly. All the other scouts should show him the same respect that they show everyone else. I am a life scout, and I do have to listen to younger and less experienced scouts. Does that bother me? No, I know that that have a posistion of leadership and deserve the same respect as I would want for me.

Remember the Golden Rule?

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

A truse scout will treat a tenderfoot scout the same way they would like to be treated, no matter of rank.

Also: I am not aware of many places that have to wear uniforms during a session, I thought they wore field uniforms.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:54 am

pipestone1991 wrote:Well, let's say one staff member is Tenderfoot......is an Eagle Scout taking his class going to take this Tenderfoot seriously?

A Scout's Rank is an indicator of his personal acheivement; it has nothing whatsoever to do his authority... that's where the POR comes in. Now, if a camp required it's youth staffers to modify thier uniforms to show their current position on staff... i.e., remove unit POR, numerals, etc.; change from red to silver epaulets, etc., I could understand that. The Insignia Guide does state that, "....members wear only the insignia that shows their present status in the movement." But, rank is rank. IMO, members [Boy Scouts] wearing their current Rank on their uniforms, regardless of their present function, is clearly consistent BSA's National polices, i.e., the Insignia Guide (as well as other official sources). Nowehere is it written, that wearing your "Rank" is optional... Why? Because it's required. Insignia items that are considered "optional" are so designated. Other exceptions or prohibitions (e.g., adults are prohitibited from wearing youth Rank) are also annotated where ever necessary.

Regarding Venturing Insignia... I see no difference. On the one hand, the must comply with the basic policies that cover all BSA uniforms; but, they also have their own section in the Insiginia Guide were their own options and exceptions apply.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Billiken » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:12 pm

Hubert wrote:Mother says:

"The Greater St. Louis Council camp."

She cant find the paper with the name of the camp, but this is it. They say staff minors cant wear the ranks.

Greater St. Louis Council has two camps:

Beaumont Scout Reservation
S-Bar-F (used primarily for Cub Scout camp)
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:50 am

Hubert wrote:
pipestone1991 wrote:

If he were a true scout he would. No matter what though, a scout is proud of his rank. He should wear it proudly. All the other scouts should show him the same respect that they show everyone else. I am a life scout, and I do have to listen to younger and less experienced scouts. Does that bother me? No, I know that that have a posistion of leadership and deserve the same respect as I would want for me.

Remember the Golden Rule?

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

A truse scout will treat a tenderfoot scout the same way they would like to be treated, no matter of rank.

Also: I am not aware of many places that have to wear uniforms during a session, I thought they wore field uniforms.

That is true....but I have encountered CITs that think the world revolves around them and everything they say is right...what about that?
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Alright. That's far enough. Let's get back on track.
RWSmith
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Summer Camp