Does your sumer camp allow ranks on shirt?

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Does your sumer camp allow ranks on shirt?

Postby Hubert » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:18 pm

I was told of a summer camp that does not allow for minors to have the rank on their shirt, unless they are Eagle. I do not like this because eventhough they worked hard to get Eagle, they had to work just as hard to make Life or any other rank.

Is your summer camp like this?

Thoughts?
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:29 pm

Never heard of such a thing. In reality I cannot see that happening at a BSA Camp
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Hubert » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Its true though. My mother told me of a man at her Camp School who did that. He was going to talk to the council about changing it because the entire school ragged on him for it.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Never heard of it and it doesn't make any sense? BSA promotes being proud of accomplishments and wearing a Rank Badge is one such way.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:59 pm

At my camp you have to have two shrits.....one that has your awards on it and one that is blank.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:16 pm

pipestone: y one without? I agree with the others that you should be proud? Why one blank?
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:38 pm

Hubert wrote:pipestone: y one without? I agree with the others that you should be proud? Why one blank?

I believe they don't want shwoing off or any such business....staffers only wear thueir regular shirts very rarely at special occasions......and I'm going to have a tough time with that :)
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Re: Does your sumer camp allow ranks on shirt?

Postby Quailman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Hubert wrote:...even though they worked hard to get Eagle, they had to work just as hard to make Life or any other rank.

Do you really believe that?
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Yes I do. Its hard to make Eagle, but those who work hard and give their best should be able to show their rank. I understand that Eagle is a huge rank, dont get me wrong, but, making Life, Star, First Class, Second Class, Tenderfoot, or even the rank of Scout, is an acomplishment and should be proudly worn. For some, getting them do even the simplest of tasks is hard.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby Hubert » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:46 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:
Hubert wrote:pipestone: y one without? I agree with the others that you should be proud? Why one blank?

I believe they don't want shwoing off or any such business....staffers only wear thueir regular shirts very rarely at special occasions......and I'm going to have a tough time with that :)

OK, as posted earlier, I just think you should be able to show off your rank proudly, and not have to take anthing off.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:01 am

If you are talking about not displaying the rank patch on the field uniform, then I think it is political correctness run amock. Since this is counter the spirit of what is in the official guidance, I probably practice a little civil disobedience & wear the rank patch anyway. Also uniforms are expensive enough that I cannot see requiring a "special" uniform that is blank.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby joat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:16 am

This sounds like an unconfirmed rumor. Does anyone know of the name of a camp where we could call and ask, or a camp website that has its leaders' guide posted?
joat
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 am

Yeah, I am having real problems with this one.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby lifescoutforlife » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:21 am

If any of this is true I think a few people need some up to date training on scouting.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:53 am

Ok Hubert you need to find out the council and camp from your mom. She has a camp school list that she was given. Then we are going to confirm this one way or another.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: Does your sumer camp allow ranks on shirt?

Postby RWSmith » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Hubert wrote:I was told of a summer camp that does not allow for minors to have the rank on their shirt, unless they are Eagle.

Hubert,

If this is indeed the case, it would a clear violation of several National BSA policies and standards. If the uniform is worn, it is to be worn correctly, and certain patches (ie, insignia) are required... If you are a Scout, your current rank (among other things) are required on your unifiorm.

As Wagionvigil requested, please let us know where this is occuring. As you can tell, several of us here would be very interested in verifying and, if so, trying to understand why it would be happening. Thanks.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Billiken » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:19 pm

Wait a mintute......

Are we possibly talking about uniform shirts worn by camp staff, not the scouts attending the camp?

pipestone1991:

There is nothing in the Seven Ranges Leader Guide re uniform with no badge of rank. We'll be there for session #1, in Calumet.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Ok, I will tonight, I have to go be an usher at graduation. Not my year yet, but I will post after I return.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby scouter01 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:08 pm

[sarcasm]And poeple are allowed to where the color blue at this camp? im amazed. with such random rules.....[sarcasm]

seriosely: who cares what your wearing bragers are going to brag wether its on or off....
scouter01
Eagle

Postby Ridge Runner » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:31 am

I know of only one camp that does not allow the wearing of any rank on the uniform unless it's an Eagle square knot, or even allowed to wear a Council patch. But's that staff only, and to be on staff at Maine High Adventure you must be 18 or older as all guides must be certified by the State of Maine to lead treks in the North Woods. Additionally, Guides are required to wear their Class A's on all treks with no exception, with Base Staff staying in uniform unless it's their day off. At MHA we take wearing the uniform with a lot of proud, be it guiding, cutting grass, washing dishes, or putting in some serious porch time listening to the loons.

However, partiscipants are free to wear the ranks they've earned, but their class A's are stored safely away, and not worn on the trek. Saving them for the journey home since the base has no laundry facilites for home bound Units....
Ridge Runner
First Class

Next

Return to Summer Camp