my camping story hehe

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

my camping story hehe

Postby Eaglestudent » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Ok so i've never been to summer camp, for some reason my parents never thought it was a good idea. But I did spend a very interesting three days camping out with my cousin. It was at a campground, unfortunetly we were about a mile from the bathrooms anyway. My cousin's brother set up the tent it had rained almost every day that week so the ground (which was grassy and flat) was wet so he put one tarp down and then (cause the top of the tent was gone) put another tarp on top of the tent. Well the tent is made for like one and a half people and we had three people in plus all of our stuff so it was crowded. The first morning we woke up about 4 am because none of us couls brethe we had to open the screen of the tent for fresh air which (naturally) let the rain in because (naturally) we were facing the way the wind was blowing. That morning everything in the tent was damp the tarp on the ground didn't do anything and our sleeping bags were wet. The air outside was humid so nothing outside would dry right, the wood was wet so we didn't have a fire till the last night (we got fed up with it and poured like half a thing of lighter fluid on it) the second morning we wake up and it has rained during the night and when we open the tent door and push the tarp up to get out the rain water that collected there drenches us and our shoes. the third night was the best because we fianlly got rid of the flashlights (they are over rated) and broke out the glow sticks, that was also the night was had a fire. Needless to say we were all glad to go home i didn't think i would ever be dry again! :-)
My cousin as we watch out tent blow away-. "oh! So that's what the tent pegs are for!!"
Eaglestudent
Tenderfoot

Postby joat » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:33 pm

That sounds so cool! Been there and done that! What's your plan for next weekend??
joat
Life

Postby Eaglestudent » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:48 pm

Uh this weekend? I have no clue, why? Last weekend I went hiking (and got dehydrated) so i don't hink i will be doing that two weekends in a row hmm i have no idea.
My cousin as we watch out tent blow away-. "oh! So that's what the tent pegs are for!!"
Eaglestudent
Tenderfoot

Fires

Postby riverwalk » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:25 pm

Yikes, leave the lighter fluid at home. There are too many war stories with stuff like that. That's why we have to shakedown Troops sometimes, so dangerous stuff doesn't make it into camp, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:40 pm

Wow....funny stuff.....definitly been there, done that.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby scouter01 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:24 pm

been there done that too. but how could you not bring the lighter fluid? thats like a cirme :P
scouter01
Eagle

Postby Hubert » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:42 pm

I have had this happen before, except I was awoke to my tent partner saying JUSTIN!

I opened my yees to see the tent just inches from my face. It had rained and caved in the tent. We then went to the truck that a leader brought, and slept in the beck, under the topper! (we cheated, but then again it was about 2am and I was in no mood to mess with the tent! lol)

Another time it was the same kid as my tent partner, (I swear hes bad luck! lol jk) I awoke to a Nurf football floating by my head. Again, it rained and our tent had about 3 inches of water in it. It made for one uncomfortable weekend.

Those were only 2 of my many encounters with mother nature...haha.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby spl08 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:02 am

I like that guy's quote "so that's what tent stakes are for!" :lol:

anyway, i've had similar happen to me. one year, we had REALLY bad storms, and one night, 2 of the 6 stakes on our tent came up (that's how i learned to really pound them in good and hard). of course, they were on my side and when i eventually noticed that my sleeping bag was getting progressively wetter and colder, i came out and saw the storm, got really scared and probably just hid deeper in the sleeping bag. finally a scouter came by and put the tent back together. it was one of my first campouts! my tent partner of course stayed completely dry.

and then when we woke up that morning, multiple tents had colapsed. one fellow scout though, didn't seem to notice, and even we told him to get up, he still didn't want to do it and just wanted to sleep more regardless of the tent being on top of him. :lol: of course he did get up a little later when it was time to get ready for breakfeast. funny memories!
Eagle Scout-2006
NYLT grad-2005
former SPL, ASPL, Troop Guide, PL

Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I'll show you a poorly uniformed leader- Sir Robert Baden Powell
spl08
Life

Postby fin24000 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Been there done that.... And I have done a fire with gas but not on a scouting trip (to menny young scouts would try it and get hurt)....
Troop guide
Former: Scribe, Troop guide, Patrol leader, Ast. patrol leader and Troop Webmaster.
Life Scout
OA Ordeal member
SHAC NYLT 073 Staff
SHAC NYLT 063
Philmont NAYLE 2007 session 2

sig updated 5/19/08
fin24000
Star

Fire

Postby riverwalk » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:16 pm

Yeah, that's why it's not done in Scouting or even in firefighter training (if they follow the guidelines anyway). :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:40 pm

At summer camp, we lit a bunch...well...all of the fires...but one when it didnt work, by "magic".

It was a neat thing to see. It also had a skit to go along with it as well.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby Clear_Lake_Scouter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Yeah, my troop decided to camp on an island once, no dirt, just sand. Then a huge storm came, Canoes went flying every where, along with tents that were staked down. Nothing went home dry that weekend.
Clear_Lake_Scouter

Return to Summer Camp