camp woodruff

Preparations, the great times, and the horror stories.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

camp woodruff

Postby 616kayak » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:38 pm

this next summer my troop plans on headign to camp woodruff in GA. We plan to share a bus with another troop.

Has anone been to this camp or has anyone heard anythign about it?
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:32 pm

We go there generally every other year. Great facilities, good people, crowded.

Online registration works well. Sign up for merit badges early (merit badge sign up opens in early spring) as classes fill up.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ancientdruid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:34 pm

One of our ASM's went to Woodruff with an older son about eight years ago and gave it good reviews. Check if they have White Water Rafting as an option -- our Troop did that on the Friday of summer camp week out of Camp Comer last year and it was a blast.

Woodruff is a camp we will be considering for 2007. I'd also be interested in reviews and hints from anyone who has been there recently.

Ancient Druid
chezsic@bellsouth.net
Baton Rouge, LA
ancientdruid
Scout

Postby FrankJ » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:47 pm

Woodruff has afternoon white water trips on the Ocoee (older scouts) & Nantahala (every one) and horseback riding. You get to pick one. The troop can split up if they want to.

If you go to Woodruff Register early because it fills up. Online registartion works well. The only downside is you should pick your merit badges in early spring when registration opens to get the best selection.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby cescout » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:31 pm

Woodruff is one of the best camps, not to toot our councils horn, but it has been said other troops say "it is a resort compaired to other camps" the staff is great, in the wonderful mtns. your troop will have a great time. Our troop went there 3 years in a row, then we decieded we had to go some place else, and next year we plan to go back.
CE-SCOUT
cescout
Star

Return to Summer Camp