jamboree items stolen

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

jamboree items stolen

Postby hacimsaalk » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:00 pm

i just saw this on scouter.com, so i figured it would be a good idea to post it here.

"Be on the lookout for and cautious about buying any stolen collectibles from the 2005 Jamboree being "traded" here and on ebay, etc. Sorry to say in the last few days of jamboree, scavengers took advantage of their impending getaways, and it seemed they took "whatever" wasn't tied down. Some adult "traders" MAY have been involved since several items were taken from the Mahone staff area facilities. Several unique jamboree band t-shirts, jamboree "Eagle" socks, and other jamboree-only items were lifted from washers and dryers in that laundry.

I just want to serve notice to those scoundrels with their own questionable set of "Timeless Values" that they are being watched... Plese, don't patronize them. Thanks. "

there it is. please do as it says and check it out before you buy

thanks

hacimsaalk
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Sad indeed.

Postby riverwalk » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:31 pm

True, some scams do happen, even in Scouting. As a collector, I learned that's why BSA no longer wanted adults trading with Youth members. And we know that "knock-off" collectibles exist in Scouting circles now as well. And in all of our positive experience with being a Host Family, there was only one group (country not given) that was stealing while on tour here.

If there are items to watch for, or "Seller's" names to watch for, I'm on ebay everyday, so share this.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Scouting179 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:58 am

People who do these (thefts, etc) are scum and NOT Scouters and Scouts as far as I'm concerned. They are an insult to what we stand for.

Riverwalk: What is your ebay ID? I'm wondering if we've done business. I mainly deal in merit badges.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Re: Sad indeed.

Postby hacimsaalk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:07 am

riverwalk wrote:
If there are items to watch for, or "Seller's" names to watch for, I'm on ebay everyday, so share this.

what i posted is all i know. as i said, i picked this up off of scouter.com. they might have more over there, im not sure :D
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:50 am

Yes, I attended the Jamboree and during times when scouts were patch trading, you know with the towels laid out with all their patches, some scouts would steal their patches. We always had to have a buddy with us when we were trading so one could trade and the other could watch out for theifs. It was bad enough that at the Jamboree everyone knew about it happening and almost everyone knew someone it happened too.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:51 am

Also alot of fake CSP's were going around.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Buddy

Postby riverwalk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:13 pm

Hmmm, well that's another example of the use of the buddy system. And I've seen that at Patch shows, and Insulator shows I attend. Dealers (traders) often keep a spare friend at their table so they get to browse around too. :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby hops_scout » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:53 am

I got a better idea--- dont trade patches at all and actually visit the activities that are STAFFED FOR YOU.

Oh, but thats common sense, and that aint so common anymore.

Words from an Action Center staff member, of course :wink:
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby Chief J » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:29 am

But in defense of the PAtch Traders, I must say I was impressed at the display.

This Jamboree was my first ever, and I was told about the Patch Trading, but until you see this first hand, you cannot imagine.

It is a shame that Scouts and Scouters have to worry, but not everyone is as trustworthy as the next person when you are involved in a group that numbers 40,000+.

As always, it is important for the leaders to inform the participant's to be aware of what is going on around them.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:18 pm

at camp two years ago we were walking to the phone at the admin. buildng and we saw peeps in the cafeteria didnt think anything about it they were also terrorizing people in the shower snapping towels and stuf the next day the signs at the trading post were gone and they closed it down for half a day. that was the night that i stood 2 feet from a copperhead
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Thanks hacimsaalk (Micah) -

Postby northmoss » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks, Micah and All Who Have Been Watching -

Although this post was viewed more than a couple-thousand times here and on scouter.com, a possible lead has yet to surface...

I've been monitoring e-bay (etc.) for those "missing" items now for over a year and none of them turned up so far. (They may have been tossed into a dumpster at jamboree...)

Still watching ...

- Two (2) 2005 Jamboree Band special tees (worn and stained with jambo-mud)
- Four (4) pairs 2005 Jamboree socks w/embroidered Eagle at cuff and stamped on the bottom with last name starting with "B" (worn)

(The Scout who posted the original post on Scouter.com ...)
northmoss
Scout

Jambo

Postby riverwalk » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:45 pm

I'll continue watching as well. I couldn't attend, but I bought gobs of Jamboree items from the Shops later. They were dumping that 2005 inventory, so I got many of the items. Some I'll collect, others have been gifts, yet others will be given to our local trading posts at camporees.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities