Jamboree Accident

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Jamboree Accident

Postby diamondbackAPL » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:45 pm

I recently heard that a troop from alaska was setting up their campsite at the jamboree today, when an electrical accident killed four of the seven leaders that came with the troop. I don't know a whole lot of details, maybe the people that went can give us more details, but keep their families in your thoughts and prayers.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:13 am

I'm afraid it's official. Here's the press release...

Prayers and Sympathies Offered to Scout Leaders' Families and Friends

Four BSA leaders died in an electrical accident at Fort A.P. Hill between 4:30 and 5 p.m. today while setting up camp. Two other individuals were also injured in the accident. One is a Boy Scout leader and one is a contract worker. Both are in stable condition.

Our prayers and sympathies are with the families of each of the victims. It is a tragic loss that is shared by everyone in the BSA. Counselors and chaplains are at the jamboree and available to any Scout or leader.

A thorough investigation into this accident is underway.

We apologize for the delay in getting our Web site online to provide coverage of the Jamboree, and hope to have additional information online as soon as possible on Tuesday.

©2005 Boy Scouts of America

I can also confirm that an adult leader from North Carolina died on Sunday at a local hospital after suffering a[n apparent] heart attack at the Jamboree.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Billiken » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:25 am

According to USA Today, the four leaders from Alaska were setting up a large dining fly when an aluminum pole touched a power line.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... dent_x.htm

Although I never met any of the four, I am proud to have known them.

May the One Great Master
Of all Scouts
Be with us until we meet again.
Last edited by Billiken on Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:13 am

My Prayers and sympathies to not only the families of these leaders but to each boy at Jambo that will be affected. This will be something that will stay with then the remainder of their lives.

May the Great Scouter in the heavens take them into his hands and great them with love.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Rhett » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:20 pm

My prayers are with the families of these fine men and all the boys and others who were affected by this terrible accident at The Jamboree.May God bless them all!
Rhett Thompson
Rhett
Tenderfoot

Postby Woodbadgegirl » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:52 pm

We talked about this at troop last night. This is really sad. I feel for the young scouts that lost those leaders.
~~~~~~~~~
C-32-03
"They will soar on wings like Eagles..."
Isaiah 40:31
Woodbadgegirl
Star

Postby RWSmith » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:52 am

A memorial service for the fallen Scout Leaders will be hosted by the Western Alaska Council after the contingents return from the National Jamboree in approximately two weeks. The website will be updated with more information as it becomes available.

We, at the Western Alaska Council, Boy Scouts of America would like to extend our hearts and prayers to all the families touched by the loss of our four Scout Leaders at the National Jamboree.

We would also like to extend our heart felt gratitude to everyone sending their condolences to the families of the leaders lost to this tragic accident on the first day of the National Jamboree.

Anyone wishing to send their condolences to the families of those lost may do so by emailing Jamboree Families.

*Donations for the families can be taken to any branch of the Denali Alaska Federal Credit Union, Scout Memorial Fund (account number 80487)

Donations may be made specifically to the families of Ron Bitzer, Michael Lacroix, Michael Shibe or Scott Powell; alternately, a general donation may be made to this fund, which will then be divided between the four families.

For Scouters out of Council you can mail donations and/or cards to: Troop 711 Families c/o Western Alaska Council, BSA, 3117 Patterson Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99504-4041

Pastor Patricia Righter, who was Scott Powell's pastor has asked that we post the request for anyone who would like to adopt Critter, Scott Powell's dog. Anyone who is interested can reach Pastor Patricia Righter at (419) 606-2055.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Billiken » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:54 pm

RWSmith:

Thank you so very much for posting the above information.

YIS,
Billiken
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:58 am

Also...

For Immediate Release
July 28, 2005
Western Alaska Council
(907)337-9547

Western Alaska Council Statement on Tragic Jamboree Accident

"Anchorage, Alaska (July 28, 2005) - We feel sadness, without measure, over the loss of four Scout leaders this week. Their families continue to be our top concern, along with the Scouts and fellow leaders who remain at the jamboree. Our Scouts and leaders are dealing with their grief and are determined to press on. Most of our Scouts and leaders have elected to remain at the jamboree.

The Alaska contingent troop would like to provide a more complete picture of what took place that day. The Alaska contingent brought their sleeping tents with them on their plane. The Alaska contingent contracted with a local company to set up two dining canopies. The local canopy company provided two contractors to set up the canopies. The first canopy was set up by the two local contractors while the leaders and Scouts erected their sleeping tents for future placement. When the second canopy was ready to be raised, the two local contractors asked the Alaska leaders for help raising the canopy. The accident occurred while the second canopy was being raised.

The Western Alaska Council's contingent troop expresses its heartfelt thanks to Boy Scouts of America, Ft. A.P. Hill personnel and all others for all the help, prayers and kindness being shown to all of them after this tragedy."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention the source.... http://www.bsawac.org
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby RWSmith » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Anyone wishing to send their condolences to the families of those lost may do so by emailing "Jamboree Families" at dolsen@bsamail.org
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities