Heading for the Hill

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Heading for the Hill

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:13 pm

Just curious as to when everyone is going to start the trek to the Hill?

I am leaving Tuesday the 19th around 6:00am it is a 5 hour trip for me.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby t305spl » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:53 pm

My Council Contingent and Jamboree Troop will be leaving from Long Island at 6am on July 23. We will be in DC until the morning of the 25.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby hops_scout » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 pm

I will be flying out on the 19th and will be driving down to The Hill on the morning of the 21st.
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby Chief J » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:14 am

Leaving home on July 19 around 8:00 AM. ETA at the Hill is around 2:30 PM on the 19th.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby hacimsaalk » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:24 am

i hope all of you guys have fun. i was stupid and didn't choose to go. now that ive heard all about it, i wish i wouldve went. good luck to all, and keep it safe.

hacimsaalk
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:40 am

The next is in 2010. You can serve on staff as a youth until your 21st birthday. A 18 year old can serve as an asst. sm with the contingent so there are opportunities in the future.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:42 pm

3 DAYS!!!!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby halo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:47 pm

My son's Jamboree only stuff (ie sleeping bag, etc) left on the 13th on a truck. They catch a plane the morning of 6/23 at 7:20 am.
halo
First Class

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:18 pm

Ok the Truck is PAcked except for my pillow and diddy bag. Will awake at 5:00am and drive to pick up a friend going also. Wait until he realizies he may have to hold his footlocker on his lap :lol: Anyway plan to arrive at the Hill around 11:30 before it gets too hot :roll: Got two more staff members TODAY hope I have shirts to fit them. Also did my drivers orientation today just incase. See you at the Hill or back here on the 4th.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby commish3 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:49 pm

The car is juiced and packed. My son and I leave at 5 AM tomorrow morning (7/20) and arrive at the Hill Thursday AM. We are both pretty excited. Stopping at Whgright Patterson Air Base abd Museum on the way, Kings island on the way home.

Wagionvigil, thanks for the great packing list it has been invaluable.

Looking forward to meeting some posters there. Eamonn especially. My son is a drummer in the BSA band, I will be at the Daily Stage introducing the acts.

See ya at the Hill!
commish3

Postby t305spl » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:31 pm

Well finishing packing today. Just finished speaking with the Executive Producer for my News outlet to finalize the plans for Hometown News. Have to run around a few places to get last minute things.
Will be waking up at 4:00am tomorrow to leave at 5:00am to be at the troop meeting spot by 5:30am to leave with the troop and council contingent promptly at 6:00am.(I am already dreading getting up)
I will be in D.C. until Monday morning when we leave for "the hill" Going to be an amazing experience. Look forward to sharing stories and pictures.

All of you that will be there "I will meet you at the hill"
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:39 pm

My stuff is packed in the car. My son will be here in aboiut 1/2 hour with his footlocker, and then we're off.

Stop by the Traffic Safety Merit Badge booth on the midway, and say hello (and try the "Fatal Vision Goggles and see our other exhibits while you're there.)
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby RWSmith » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:06 am

In about and hour, we'll be headin' for the Hill--a one-day trip to visit the son. I hate forcing my teenagers (all four of them) to do family things; so, I was quite pleased when all three of my girls decided they'd like to go. And, as an added bonus, we'll be picking up my dad along the way, who went to the 1950 NSJ. (I went in '77.) The boy's a third generation Jammer. I'm proud of the fact that I didn't have to "push" him. [And knowing me, I would've pushed.] His SM for the NSJ contingent is also his regular Troop's CC. Bill's a great man; and, as we all know, they are few and far between.

I think (hope) that by 2010, National will catch up with the times and let girls start attending NSJs as participants. I've got one for sure, possibly two, that would like the opportunity to follow in Papa's and Grandpappy's footsteps. Oh well, Philmont's next year.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities