2005 National Scout Jamboree emergency Preparedness Award

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

2005 National Scout Jamboree emergency Preparedness Award

Postby scoutchallenge » Wed May 25, 2005 3:09 pm

Ok - so i opened my mouth and said, "No problem I'll make sure that everything is completed for the application and mail it off.........."

The Award Requirrements: (available at scouting.org/jamboree)

1) All youth members earn the First Aid .............

2) Jamboree Unit participates in training ........

3) Prepare and Share a plan (here is where i need some help

4) Travel emergency kit

5) Hold Unit sessions

What I need is an easy way to make a list of the "American Red Cross and other emergency shelters along the way" and "Hospitals and emergency rooms along the trave route." Does anyone know of a website where the Zip Code could be entered and a list printed. This is going to be a 20 day trip there and back and several stops that I confirmed reservations with an address and zip. I was hoping to include a list of places that would be helpful should disaster occur.

Other than that I think everything is covered. All boys have been told to get their First Aid MB (1)before our June 25 campout. I have counslors standing by incase someone forget. At the last campout the local emergancy management agency gave a two hour demostration (2). Each troop has been given a travel emergency kit (4) that contains all items needed. All boys will be presented with an additional patrol sessions (5)by the patrol leaders durning the next campout.

The item that might prove the most useful would be a list of places to go should there be an emergency. So I would like to include a good list and I know someone somewhere knows how to find this info in digital form with out needing to copy past and assemble.

Thanks
scoutchallenge
First Class

Firdt Aiders

Postby riverwalk » Thu May 26, 2005 10:27 am

Just some general comments, and they might not apply to your questions. But they might be useful to others.

When we teach first aid things to anyone, we usually address "kits". Now all of us know that kits will require different things for home, car, Patrol, Troop, or large assembly gatherings. But when teaching about kits, always tell audiences that the best kit is what they make, not buy. I always tell anyone that if they buy a kit, please know what's in it. I've known people that had a first aid kit, they've never opened. That's like having a fire extinguisher you can't operate :) So I hope these Units each have someone responsible for their first aid issues, then they'll know to "Be Prepared", haha. :wink:

Next, it would be unlikely to learn of every possible location for emergency help along any route. I didn't know this was a requirement, but it would take some research, and that will still leave some out. Perhaps if some are identified along the way, it will address the requirement? Local BSA Councils can answer that, or your own H&S Chair, ARC Chapter offices, the "Y" locations, Firehouses, Police Stations, Military establishments, CERT and other community groups...are some possibilities. Just correspond with home Troops that lie along the route. They should know this, or need to, woo-hoo. :idea:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Eamonn » Thu May 26, 2005 12:02 pm

I seen the requirement that wanted Red Cross Shelters along the route. I had our Scribe working on the "Plan". He was a little unsure about what to do and he called me. Of course me be all knowing, all sure about everything!! Didn't know what to do either.
First off, we are traveling by bus and there are several different routes that the bus driver might take. So we weren't that sure of what the route might be.
In the end he used an on-line map (Mapquest) He was able to find all the hospitals along the route and he picked out the bigger towns along the route listing the addresses of the Red Cross in that area.
I did have to smile as he included Snow and blizzards in the plan.
Hey Wagion guy - What is the plan if the tower is snowed under?
yiss
Eamonn
NE-Region Area 4 International Scouting Chairman.
Men of power are admired. Men of character are trusted.
Eamonn
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 26, 2005 2:05 pm

Move to West Virginia!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby scoutchallenge » Fri May 27, 2005 1:58 pm

Eamonn wrote:In the end he used an on-line map (Mapquest) He was able to find all the hospitals along the route and he picked out the bigger towns along the route listing the addresses of the Red Cross in that area.
I did have to smile as he included Snow and blizzards in the plan.
Hey Wagion guy - What is the plan if the tower is snowed under?

After I post this i wil go to mapquest. If it's easy to find the hospitals I should make out ok. If not can I have the scouts number :) :)

And I kinda left the earthquakes prep out. Figured my boys would know what to do in case of an earthquake. But I have alot about floods :wink:
scoutchallenge
First Class

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities