Jamboree feedback

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Jamboree feedback

Postby ronin718 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Greetings all!!! Now that the inaugural Jambo at the Summit is over, I'd like to see what feedback you'd give to National, good or bad, regarding this event. I'm sure wagionvigil has plenty to say, but what about the rest of you?

My son and I went and did a day visit, so I don't have the in-depth familiarity that those who staffed or attended the Jambo will have, but I still noticed some things. My list to National would be:

- First and foremost, you guys need to build another way for the folks in Camps A & B to get to the central hub that doesn't involve the Bridge or a 5-mile hike. Thunderstorms in the summertime are the norm, and having the Bridge closed for 1-3 hours is not good for the participants or the programs. I had to wait 1.5 hours for one of the participants to be able to cross the bridge so I could complete a patch set trade. I really felt for those kids who wanted to get somewhere so they could do whatever program they were scheduled for.

- The Trading Posts were a LOT less crowded this time around than in 2010. I don't know what you did to fix this, but big kudos to the solution,.

- Please figure out a better way to get the visitors to/from the action. I have no problem with the limited hours or the fee, but visitors lose 1-1.5 hours of time just trying to get from their car to the site because of bag checks and the distance of the visitor parking from the Jambo site. I get that you don't want visitors driving right up to the site, but find a closer location to park.

- Three tickets for a troop to do the big zipline??? REALLY??? Un-FREAKING-believable!!! I know, limitations, but just how do you expect troop leadership to make that call? Maybe a better way to handle this would be to give each Scout 1-2 "rides", and do a hole-punch on their ID tag to indicate when they've ridden the zipline so you don't have boys exceeding the number.

- Speaking of number, I know this is supposed to be all about the boys, but if you're going to try to give them the opportunities to do these different events, then maybe you should have a manageable number of Scouts at the Jamboree. In other words, figure out the ratio of Scouts to events and limit the size of the Jamboree to the ability to support that number. If you can't get 30000 Scouts through all the programs, then maybe limit the registration size to 20000 or 25000.

- Loved the standardized tents, gear, and supplied materials!!! After getting gouged by my council so they could have new tents for the council camp, and then having them dump the cots on us because of a last-minute decision that council didn't want them anymore, it seemed to make life simpler for troops. Probably can't say the same for staff, but that's another issue.

- While I hated the long bus ride, I loved the buses that were used for moving the visitors. Kudos on that one!

Okay, the floor is now open to discussion...
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Re: Jamboree feedback

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:21 am

Lots to Say? I have been quiet so I will make some comments.
I have walked the A-B to Action Point while on a meeting trip it is a little over 1.5 miles . I agree the bridge was shut down too much but to add insult to injury they also shut down all the Porta Jons at the bridge entrance on Action Point.
Lets talk Big Zip. This is a Bonsai Event and training required was Bonsai Training. Staff trained was very limited. I really cannot get into the whys etc. but We BSA are trying to make things better in 17. All he Bonsai events were greatly understaffed. Ropes( which was actually managed by BSA people) canopy Tours and the zip lines. These all required specialized training that only Bonsai provided. Training was set up around the country but was poorly received.*****

There were more activities then any scout could do that was the idea. Eliminate lines which was done in the outback areas Rocks etc. We really only had minimal wait times at the rocks and that was for the Leap of faith and awesome new activity.

In the plans are a parking and welcome center on property off of the South entrance somewhere. The away parking eliminated the people that would set up shop with patches.

Security must be tight with an event of this type. While the Saturday show was up and running there were National Snipers on the Zip platforms. and there was some much heavier ordinance flying cover at 50000' or so. The area was a TFR all the time of the jamboree and those that decided to violate that were greeted by a couple of hi speed attack copters. They had the Authority to do what ever was necessary BTW.

I remember at one of the jamborees a leader was ranting about how slow the rappelling was and we had to have a way to speed it up. They only answer I had was eliminate the ropes and just toss the kids off. he did not find it funny. But do you want it fast or safe. AT the rocks we had 19000 through put with ZERO injuries major or minor. A kid falling down coming up the trail does not count. The same with all other Aerial sports Fast or safe your choice.
SHooting sports processed close to 100000 through put. 00000 injuries

tents in the staff area were great large and dry. I really did not like the bunks they IMHO were unsafe when used with Someone on top. They need to consider 2 to a tent in 17.

Glad you liked the busses many days at our 545 pickup we had coaches to take us to echo.
All areas were greatly understaffed think if we were fully staffed. Aerial was close to 50% of what we really wanted to have. So you can see how that affects the kids.
had a great time with great people. Still have some aches and pains but getting better. Would I do it again? God willing and my body allows. But 4 years is a long time. I will be 68 it may be time for some younger folks to step up.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby jr56 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Hope to make it for staff in 2019 at the World.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:43 am

The 2019 staff will be from the world not just the US. So I would make sure you are on staff in 17 for he National.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:37 am

I have already told my wife, I want to go to Jamboree in 2017. I am going to open up another savings account at the credit union and start putting in a few bucks a month towards this. Not sure what area I want to staff in, but hopefully I have some time to think about it.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:04 am

And idea on saving from a friend and I did it for this jambo. At the end of the day all change plus all $5 bills go in a can. You would be surprised how hast it adds up. You need to deposit and stay out of it also. Lol
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 am

Well said, Jambo 17 needs more staff and more staff and and by the way did I say more staff ? :D :D
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 pm

There was an interest email sent out yesterday to all 2013 staff to sign up for 2017. So now is the time to make a commitment . You can back out later if something comes up . I will see if I can find the link. I did post it on Facebook those that are on my friend list should have seen it.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities