What is and is not High Adventure?

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

What is and is not High Adventure?

Postby ismellbacon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 am

I've been poking around trying to find a good definition for what exactly is high-adventure...

Some examples would be great as well, not so much the different camps you can go to, but rather the different activities (i.e. week long canoeing/backpacking trip)

My troop plans to do a 5 day backpacking/hiking trip this summer without food resupply (we will be camping at various spots along the C&O Canal). The trek will cover at least 30 miles. I just wanted to make sure that this isn't over and beyond what some of the boy scouts are allowed to do... and what would be considered too much for younger scouts.

We are doing 3 "warm-up" backpacking trips leading up to the week trek, and holding training for the scouts prior to. A group of the scouts are working on the Backpacking MB.

Thanks for the assistance!

On a side note, I plan to push for forming a Venturing Crew with our CO once my son gets old enough for it. There are a hand full of scouts that would be interested in that. That sounds like a lot of fun... oh, and for the scouts too :P
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Re: What is and is not High Adventure?

Postby ronin718 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

I'd have to say HA is what you make it...

This summer our troop has three HA trips planned. One is a two-week trip to Alaska for sea kayaking, fishing, dog-sledding, glacier climbing, and 3-4 days of hiking in the Eagle River area. Another trip is a 6-day, 60-mile hike in PA. The third trip is for our first-year HA boys who will be doing Lenhoksin at the Goshen Scout Reservation.

We tend to mix up our own trips with the Big 3 (NT, SB, Philmont) and also do more local excursions. This provides variety in both activity and price.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:40 am

Just FYI....

BSA's official "Language of Scouting > All Terms and Style Items" wrote:high adventure Can refer to high-adventure activities or to trek programs administered by local councils for older Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers. Use a hyphen when the words are used as a modifier ("high-adventure program") except in titles of departments and bases as noted in the Language of Scouting ("High Adventure Department").

High Adventure Department This national office department develops and administers the national high-adventure program for older Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers offered at the:

• Florida National High Adventure Sea Base in the Florida Keys,
  • Northern Tier National High Adventure Program in northern Minnesota and Canada, and
  • Philmont Scout Ranch in northern New Mexico.

With that being said... I'm not trying to dissuade you from taking your troop on a 5-day backpacking trip, esp. after "properly planning"... there is certainly no "policy" against that!
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 am

Sometimes situations presented by some of the posters can be considered High Adventure or maybe just High Drama. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FrankJ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 pm

So "High-Adventure" is trade marked by the BSA's marketing dept & cannot by used without permission & fees paid? :) Boy in just 3 days I am going to have some fun with that. Batten down the hatches!!

I have have stories of some troops high adventure outing that would make the BSA pale in compassion. This is no way a criticism of the BSA high adventure bases. I think they run a great program at a good value & meet the definition of high adventure.

So just what the does term high adventure mean? On one level we try to put a little high adventure in all our activities. But as general thing a high adventure outing is one that requires more preparation than a regular outing like a dump camp. Who can participate in specific activities is in G2SS & provider rules ie philmont, camp, outfitter, & troop leadership.

Some things that a high adventure outing might require, that a regular adventure might not. Either by rule or common sense....

More detailed planning.
A higher maturity level from the participants.
More physical & mental preparation from the participants.
Training & experience with the specific activity.
Specific certifications for the leaders.
WFA & CPR (required for BSA high adventure bases). A good idea otherwise.
Full medical form.
A completed tour permit.

So specifically Backpacking 30 miles in 5 days? Nothing in the rules that would prohibit a first year scout from it. Rather or not it is a good idea would depend more on the individual.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ismellbacon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for the input!
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby razor_strop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:43 pm

ismellbacon wrote:My troop plans to do a 5 day backpacking/hiking trip this summer without food resupply (we will be camping at various spots along the C&O Canal).

If you extend the trip by one day/night, you'd help your Scouts get 2 points instead of one towards the Adventure segment of the National Outdoor Badge.
razor_strop
Life

Postby ismellbacon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:08 pm

razor_strop wrote:
ismellbacon wrote:My troop plans to do a 5 day backpacking/hiking trip this summer without food resupply (we will be camping at various spots along the C&O Canal).

If you extend the trip by one day/night, you'd help your Scouts get 2 points instead of one towards the Adventure segment of the National Outdoor Badge.

Are you talking about counting req. 3a twice?
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby razor_strop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Exactly. Additional guidance for the Adventure segments reads in part: "Similarly, a single activity that doubles an item in 3a-d may be counted as two activities at the discretion of the unit leader."

After reading your initial post, however, I realized you'd also have to increase your mileage to 40+ miles to legitimately count 3.a twice (3 days/20+ miles X 2 = 6 days/40+ miles). My mistake for not paying attention to detail, sorry.
razor_strop
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:35 am

Troops around here start in the burgh and go to DC. We did it Unsupported once and It was great. usually tried to end up on the Mall for the 4th of July Fireworks.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ismellbacon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:38 am

razor_strop wrote:Exactly. Additional guidance for the Adventure segments reads in part: "Similarly, a single activity that doubles an item in 3a-d may be counted as two activities at the discretion of the unit leader."

After reading your initial post, however, I realized you'd also have to increase your mileage to 40+ miles to legitimately count 3.a twice (3 days/20+ miles X 2 = 6 days/40+ miles). My mistake for not paying attention to detail, sorry.

no worries :)
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:10 am

High Adventure is now defined as any actvitiy that requires the Scout to leave the safety of his home and couch while under the supervision of an adult that is not his parent or legal guardian.

I hate lawyers.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:02 pm

"a good definition for what exactly is high-adventure" ...

Our troop uses the term "high adventure" to refer to any activity where we need to make sure the scout is up to the activity. Sometimes it means a minimum age. Other times, it might mean completing practice trips. It might include minimum skills or minimum strength. What is key though is that by saying "high adventure" we are communicating the trip is significantly more difficult than our average troop camp out and to watch for additional expectations (age, strength, skill, prep, ...).

But I've never seen an exact definition. It's more a label to be applied at the discretion of unit leaders.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby Quailman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Fred Johnson wrote:But I've never seen an exact definition. It's more a label to be applied at the discretion of unit leaders.

It's more a label used to hype an outing. "Ready boys? We're heading out on our 'high adventure' trip to the 7-11! Nothing but the ten essentials allowed in your pack!"
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ismellbacon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 am

Quailman wrote:
Fred Johnson wrote:But I've never seen an exact definition. It's more a label to be applied at the discretion of unit leaders.

It's more a label used to hype an outing. "Ready boys? We're heading out on our 'high adventure' trip to the 7-11! Nothing but the ten essentials allowed in your pack!"

:lol:
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby FrankJ » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm

It also a matter of perspective. In large parts of the world a hike to a well stocked 7-11 would be an high adventure whereas sleeping out under the stars is something they do every day.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities