2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby FrankJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 am

Uh, when was that ever BSA policy?


It's in G2SS, Utopia version, right next to no sheath knives, no hatchets, and totem chip is required to use a knife. :twisted:

It is not a BSA policy, rightfully so. But a lot of troops have the policy so that electronics do not compete with the goals of the camp out. Also rightfully so. (They can also not allow scouts to carry sheath knives, hatchets, & require them to earn the totem chip.)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Atlanta Area Council Foothills District

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby cdwscout » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm

In our troop, we have the policy that electronics aren't allowed to detract from the camping/meeting experience.

In other words, no gaming/texting at campouts, though it's okay to bring a cell phone/iPod/gaming device.

This policy has worked out pretty well. Often, we have had scouts use their phones to call down to base camp to make sure their parents are OK after a storm. Our leaders will also check the weather on their phones during trips.
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 am

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby RWSmith » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm

FrankJ wrote:
Uh, when was that ever BSA policy?

It's in G2SS, Utopia version, right next to no sheath knives, no hatchets, and totem chip is required to use a knife. :twisted:

It is not a BSA policy, rightfully so. But a lot of troops have the policy so that electronics do not compete with the goals of the camp out. Also rightfully so.

I know; I know... good come-back, BTW. Well, we're waaayyy off-topic here now, but...

Without thinking it through, banning "electronics" (at the unit level) on camp-outs is bad for Amateur Radio. ULs have got to think it through --for just a couple of seconds-- and be smarter than the kids...

  • First, the SM bans cell phones on camp-outs for exactly the reason you stated above; it's just gotten way out of control.
  • So, the kids work around it by:
    1. hiding (sneaking around with) them; or,
    2. by bringing their PSPs (or whatever).
  • So then, the SM then reacts by banning all electronics on camp-outs.

Now, without even realizing it, the SM (UL) has almost certainly defeated the possibility of any kid in his/her unit from ever taking an interest in earning the Radio MB (and possibly, Electricity and Electronics, too). If a Scout hears "no electronics" just before every camp-out (summer camp, too?), month after month, after month... he's naturally going to assume there's no place for Amateur Radio at Scout activities... even if there is a Radio MB, so what?

Standing on top of a mountain w/ a battery-powered handheld amateur radio (walkie-talkie) and making QSOs with somebody at Guam AFB (yes, it can be done) is --to me-- a lot of fun... and it's an awesome way to introduce Scouts to the Radio MB.

I'm just saying that we should be careful about what we say. Amateur Radio should not only be the exception to the rule, but encouraged by example. If not, then in a few years, there will be no more Radio MB.
RWSmith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Mecklenburg County Council

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby FrankJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Actually I put rules like no electronics in the class of the pirate code. It's more of an recommendation. :) The rule is better read no electronics unless they serve an approved purpose & I am not responsible for keeping up with them. I define the approved purpose as I go, but am pretty consistent.

For example GPSs are useful. If the goal of the camp out is to use a map & compass, they might need to be turned of for part of the trip.

Sorry to take this thread so far afield. I guess I need to turn the thread GPS back on.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Atlanta Area Council Foothills District

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby cdwscout » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:41 pm

RWSmith wrote:
FrankJ wrote:
Uh, when was that ever BSA policy?

It's in G2SS, Utopia version, right next to no sheath knives, no hatchets, and totem chip is required to use a knife. :twisted:

It is not a BSA policy, rightfully so. But a lot of troops have the policy so that electronics do not compete with the goals of the camp out. Also rightfully so.

I know; I know... good come-back, BTW. Well, we're waaayyy off-topic here now, but...

Without thinking it through, banning "electronics" (at the unit level) on camp-outs is bad for Amateur Radio. ULs have got to think it through --for just a couple of seconds-- and be smarter than the kids...

  • First, the SM bans cell phones on camp-outs for exactly the reason you stated above; it's just gotten way out of control.
  • So, the kids work around it by:
    1. hiding (sneaking around with) them; or,
    2. by bringing their PSPs (or whatever).
  • So then, the SM then reacts by banning all electronics on camp-outs.

Now, without even realizing it, the SM (UL) has almost certainly defeated the possibility of any kid in his/her unit from ever taking an interest in earning the Radio MB (and possibly, Electricity and Electronics, too). If a Scout hears "no electronics" just before every camp-out (summer camp, too?), month after month, after month... he's naturally going to assume there's no place for Amateur Radio at Scout activities... even if there is a Radio MB, so what?

Standing on top of a mountain w/ a battery-powered handheld amateur radio (walkie-talkie) and making QSOs with somebody at Guam AFB (yes, it can be done) is --to me-- a lot of fun... and it's an awesome way to introduce Scouts to the Radio MB.

I'm just saying that we should be careful about what we say. Amateur Radio should not only be the exception to the rule, but encouraged by example. If not, then in a few years, there will be no more Radio MB.


Kids don't think that much. Most of them probably wouldn't consider amateur radio as electronics. Besides, most of them don't really care about amateur radio anyway. They regard it as outdated and obsolete (I'm not saying that's why I think; I'm just saying what some think).
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 am

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby RWSmith » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:07 pm

cdwscout wrote:Kids don't think that much.

No offense, but... oh yes, they most certainly do; they just don't realize it, yet. :cry:

cdwscout wrote:Most of them probably wouldn't consider amateur radio as electronics. Besides, most of them don't really care about amateur radio anyway. They regard it as outdated and obsolete (I'm not saying that's why I think; I'm just saying what some think).

As the saying goes, 'From the mouths of babes...' (Again, no offense. Seriously.) :mrgreen:

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also, FrankJ,

I really liked the way you put it in you last post(s). I certainly wasn't criticizing the way you do business. I was just soap-boxing. (Sorry 'bout that.) :) :) :)

========================

Okay, all... that's enough from me about amateur radio in this thread. Of course, you both get one more response each, if you like, for the sake courtesy.

--Back to traffic.
RWSmith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Mecklenburg County Council

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby Bill Pitcher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:10 pm

RWSmith wrote:Uh, when was that ever BSA policy?

——••• •••——

—•— ———• ••••— •— •—•• •••—


What the heck is:

73
K?4ALV ??
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Kingston, NY (Rip Van Winkle Coun.)

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby RWSmith » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:13 pm

Oops! I guess I boo-booed. :shock:
RWSmith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Mecklenburg County Council

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby FrankJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:56 pm

RW: I in no way took offense to anything. I should have included a smile after the twisted evil. I use twisted evil more as a I am not taking myself that seriously. I wander through the world being amazed. I try to impart some amazement to the scouts. For some is music, for others it's sports, the beauty of god's creation, the magic of transmitting information through space, the diversity of people on & on.

The only connection this has with Jambo is the multitude of experiences that is going to be available to the participants.

What the heck is:
No paint ball? (duck & cover)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Atlanta Area Council Foothills District

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 am

Not sure where this is going BUT we were told at an area meeting yesterday by someone from the Summit that there would be a very large international presence at the 2013 Scout Jamboree.
With no restriction on coed scouts.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby jr56 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:51 pm

As I recall, we are one of the few major countrys left where the scouting movement is not co-ed. Besides Venturing.
jr56
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Glacier's Edge Council, WI

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:08 pm

jr56 wrote:As I recall, we are one of the few major countrys left where the scouting movement is not co-ed. Besides Venturing.

Yep!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby ThunderingWind » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:55 am

How many Councils have "turned in" their Venturing slots back to the Area/Region?

I have heard rumors of one or two (number keeps changing) here in the NorthEast.

Not seeing any advertising coming down from on high to recruit either.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: longer affiliated with the BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:25 am

most councils are just getting up and running right now. WF is recruiting. Laurel highlands is also getting the word out. I did a session at the Area Conference this past weekend and really pushed it so we will see where it leads. Any open troops are going to be filled with International Scouts.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby ThunderingWind » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:26 am

wagionvigil wrote:Any open troops are going to be filled with International Scouts.

Oh that will go over well....what a surprise it will be for some to show up and find GIRLS in the Troop!!!
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: longer affiliated with the BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 am

Would not bother me in the least!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:44 pm

NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:56 pm

got an Update today. There will be staff shuttles. may not get you right on spot but close enough. 1 mile is better than 4 miles.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 am

Anyone that has put in a staff application and has not heard anything need to call their Council service center and find out if they have approved you. We are finding out that the councils are not doing their job. Surprise Surprise
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Westmoreland-Fayette Council BSA

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby Billiken » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:32 pm

FWIW:

Greater Cleveland Council is charging $1,450.

Included is a 4 day tour/post-Jambo trip to Norfolk and Virginia Beach.
Also include are patch sets (with extras for trading), contingent shirts, hats, and all related meeting/training costs.

Travel is by bus.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:27 pm
Location: Greater Cleveland Council

PreviousNext

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest