2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: 2013 National Scout Jamboree at the Summit

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Your council was not alone BUT they will be checking closely this next Jamboree.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:04 am

How about the JSPs? I saw different councils that did not follow the guidelines that were set by National. Is National going to start enforcing those rules too?
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:00 am

Lou your guess is as good as mine. But I know that we did and you guys did. Bob is starting to crack down on lots of things
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Billiken » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:53 am

The Cleveland Council easily filled 4 troops (both Scouts and adults) for the 2010 Centennial Jamboree.

We began filling our contingent adult leader slots in August 2007, nearly 3 years before the Jamboree.
Of the twelve over 21 adults selected at that time, 11 attended the Jamboree (one dropped for financial reasons).

However, getting the four 3rd ASMs was somewhat difficult (we eventually did get the four needed).
College students or young men just starting a career usually don't have the $$$$ and free time to commit to something 2+ years in the future.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:56 am

Billiken wrote:The Cleveland Council easily filled 4 troops (both Scouts and adults) for the 2010 Centennial Jamboree.

We began filling our contingent adult leader slots in August 2007, nearly 3 years before the Jamboree.
Of the twelve over 21 adults selected at that time, 11 attended the Jamboree (one dropped for financial reasons).

However, getting the four 3rd ASMs was somewhat difficult (we eventually did get the four needed).
College students or young men just starting a career usually don't have the $$$$ and free time to commit to something 2+ years in the future.

The youth staff fee was greatly reduced and that is what they should charge the 3rd asst. SM
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Billiken » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:01 am

wagionvigil wrote:The youth staff fee was greatly reduced and that is what they should charge the 3rd asst. SM

I'm fairly certain all Scouts/Leaders in the Cleveland contingent paid $1,600.
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:14 am

Billiken wrote:
wagionvigil wrote:The youth staff fee was greatly reduced and that is what they should charge the 3rd asst. SM

Our leaders only paid the Jamboree fee
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Guerillero » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:21 am

I would love to staff this
2012 ESR Nature Director
Eagle Scout 2011
OA Vigil Honor 2011
Guerillero
Second Class

Postby biglou » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:30 am

I am glad to see that Wagion. What was annoying to me was that certain councils were following or at least made a serious attempt to follow the rules as far as the Jamboree CSPs were concerned. There were alot of councils that just did their own thing. I know a template with the 5 approved JSP approved templates were made and posted on the Jamboree website. I also know that this topic was discussed in our Area gathering in November of 2009 with the Region Jamboree Director (or whatever his title was). But you can go on ebay to see great examples of those that did not and probably could have cared less.

I am happy to see that the National Jamboree Committee wants to provide equipment down there. After going through the logistical nightmare here of getting a truck, I think this will make things alot easier at the next Jamboree. I am quite excited about this and I know four if not more from my home Troop that want to go.

I think I want to staff this event. It would be cool to be a part of the inaugural staff for the new site! I am going to set a goal to drop the extra baggage that I have! And I am not talking the significant other neither!
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby biglou » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:48 am

Just thought of this one. The other thing I would recommend is getting rid of the individual segment patches. Just go back to having one "rocker" type patch like they did in previous Jamborees. I was a bit jealous of my older brother's "75th Anniversary" rocker underneath his 1985 Jamboree Patch. I felt jipped after not getting one in 1989. I look at the newer ones (especially the 2010 rocker patches) and I don't really care for them.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:30 am

Thought I would add some things today.
NO MORE REGIONAL ACTION CENTERS

There will be basicially a National ACtion center SPread Throughout the Jamboree SIte.
You no longer will be able to just walk up and dod the activity. You will be scheduled for activities that you choose to do before coming to the jamboree (jphone)

The Staff at the action center will be a National not region selected. Now that all being said there will be a smaller action center in the Visitors Village This is where the larger Visitors fee comes in to play.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby scoutaholic » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 pm

wagionvigil wrote:
Billiken wrote:

Our leaders only paid the Jamboree fee

Around here most everyone paid $3000. Those that did Jamboree without the extra week of touring only paid $2000.

I would think that ALL staff and contingent adults should pay a lesser (or no) registration fee. Their fee should cover their costs, (food, equipment, etc.) but, since they aren't participating in the same activities as the youth participants, they shouldn't have to pay the fee for those activities.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:37 am

biglou wrote:I am glad to see that Wagion. What was annoying to me was that certain councils were following or at least made a serious attempt to follow the rules as far as the Jamboree CSPs were concerned. There were alot of councils that just did their own thing. I know a template with the 5 approved JSP approved templates were made and posted on the Jamboree website. I also know that this topic was discussed in our Area gathering in November of 2009 with the Region Jamboree Director (or whatever his title was). But you can go on ebay to see great examples of those that did not and probably could have cared less. ...

Some councils have long traditions of doing JSPs in certain ways which did not fit within the new guidelines of the recent Jambo. These guidelines came out AFTER many of the patches had been designed.

The debate was how to work within the guidelines, while still attempting to honor the longstanding traditions.

In UNPC, a new JSP was designed that fit within the guidelines. This was the only JSP authorized for use/wear. All 15 contingent troops had the same JSP. The traditional, oversized patches were also made, (a different one for each troop), to create a set for the council contingent. This set was ONLY for trading, and was technically not official JSPs.

GSLC had a similar debate, and came up with another solution. They printed both an oversize set, and a set of smaller patches that fit within the new guidelines. This effectively made two sets, or one very large set. Again, the oversize ones were never approved for use/wear and would not have been official JSPs.

Having been involved on this end with meeting the new guidelines, I also found it annoying when other councils disregarded the guidelines and were wearing JSPs that were obviously not within the new guidelines. Either all should have to follow the guidelines, or the guidelines should not exist.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:12 am

I just looked at the bottom of the template form for designing the JSPs. They were dated 3/09.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 am

scoutaholic wrote:
biglou wrote:I am glad to see that Wagion. What was annoying to me was that certain councils were following or at least made a serious attempt to follow the rules as far as the Jamboree CSPs were concerned. There were alot of councils that just did their own thing. I know a template with the 5 approved JSP approved templates were made and posted on the Jamboree website. I also know that this topic was discussed in our Area gathering in November of 2009 with the Region Jamboree Director (or whatever his title was). But you can go on ebay to see great examples of those that did not and probably could have cared less. ...

Some councils have long traditions of doing JSPs in certain ways which did not fit within the new guidelines of the recent Jambo. These guidelines came out AFTER many of the patches had been designed.

The debate was how to work within the guidelines, while still attempting to honor the longstanding traditions.

In UNPC, a new JSP was designed that fit within the guidelines. This was the only JSP authorized for use/wear. All 15 contingent troops had the same JSP. The traditional, oversized patches were also made, (a different one for each troop), to create a set for the council contingent. This set was ONLY for trading, and was technically not official JSPs.

GSLC had a similar debate, and came up with another solution. They printed both an oversize set, and a set of smaller patches that fit within the new guidelines. This effectively made two sets, or one very large set. Again, the oversize ones were never approved for use/wear and would not have been official JSPs.

Having been involved on this end with meeting the new guidelines, I also found it annoying when other councils disregarded the guidelines and were wearing JSPs that were obviously not within the new guidelines. Either all should have to follow the guidelines, or the guidelines should not exist.

Excellent solution
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ronin718 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:48 pm

NCAC also did the Trading set and the official JSP for contingent and staff, plus a "public" JSP. In fact, we did two Trading sets... one with the military seal coins for each service and one with the military seal embroidered. I hope they come out with something as hot as the coin set for '13, they came close to being on par with the Sobe set from Connecticut.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 am

It seems that many of the items that are charge up's for local councils will be eliminated for 2013. All tents, canopy's and cooking equipment will be furnished and may be set up when the nits arrive. Also each participant will get a duffel bag and two activity shirts.
Staff will be housed in two man wall tents.

Basic cost is the same for 2013 under 900.00 for Scouts any other fee is added by the council.
Staff fee for 16-25 is 425 staff fee for 26+ is 850
150.00 required with application
There are staff options also can't do two weeks of staffing there is a one week option.For those 26+ it will be half cost. No reduction for under 25 but they can still do the one week thing.

Visitors climbing area will be 20000 sq ft Participant climbing area will,be 80000 sq ft.
Zip Lines, Canopy Tours are involved at that area also
No Internal busing Only for staff to the most remote areas.
Participants and staff only will be permitted in the Jamboree Proper ie: Villages and activity areas These are Off limits to visitors

The Visitors Village will be a mini Jamboree with all the activities going on over in the Jamboree Proper

Security for the Jamboree will be WV state police and WV National Guard members The state police will have 100 troopers assigned to the Jamboree (this comes from a friend that is a state Trooper there)
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:46 am

There will be a Venturing Village at this Jamboree. Each Council is being given a Venturing Allotment. These Kids will have full access to all Jamboree activities plus some special ones for them Only.

Q: What about the Scouts that are cross-registered in Venturing can they do the Venturing activities?
    A: No they chose to come as scouts not Venturers.

For those coming from far away start checking with AMtrak. My understanding they will be running Jamboree trains to the site since there are two AMtrak stations close by. One at Prinz and one at Thurmon.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Billiken » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Has anybody seen information (from your respective council) regarding the 2013 Jamboree????
Just curious if councils are communicating, yet.

Not a peep out of Cleveland....at this time before the 2010 Jambo all the adult leadership positions had been filled and put in place for the 4-troop contingent.
Ours started taking Deposits
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Our council (Rip Van Winkle in Kingston, NY) put out the request for adult leaders and the applications were due by April 15th.!!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities