Suggestions to make a FUN Webelos / Troop shoot

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Suggestions to make a FUN Webelos / Troop shoot

Postby Fred Johnson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:36 pm

I've completed the BSA training to open the BB-gun and Archery ranges. We have a Webelos weekend camp out coming up and since there is a BB-gun range, we thought it would be nice to take the Webelos shooting. Well... I always thought 10 minutes of shooting was enough for me. So, I'd like some suggestions to make it really fun and something different.

- Start with normal targets
- Switch to challenging targets
- Switch to clay pigeons ... I've heard they will break with a BB. Is that right? ... I want to make sure we won't get bounce back.
- Switch to balloons.

Each level has a reward. Some can be team shoots. For example, first team to break all their balloons gets a camp patch.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
Fred Johnson
Life

Re: Suggestions to make a FUN Webelos / Troop shoot

Postby kwildman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:37 am

Need to make sure that you use a BSA range and that you indicate the activity on your tour permit. Clay targets will break with a BB no problem. Being politically correct avoid the use of the word pigeon because we would never shoot a gun at any animal or person. :roll:

I would not recommend the balloons because they can ricochet. Not likely that it would have enough force to do any damage should it make it back to the shooting line but why take chances. I would suggest going for smaller targets such as neco wafers as an increased challenge.

Also remember that every visit to the range should be a teachable moment and an opprotunity to discuss firearm handling and safety. This is as much for the parents as it is the youth.

Have fun.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Love the wafer idea. That's great.

Never thought the balloons might be an issue. I'll test that one out.

Clay targets / clay discs. Good catch.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby WVBeaver05 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:17 am

Are you sure you are complying with the Guide to Safe Scouting? You don't say whether this is a Council event.

Guide to Safe Scouting wrote:Cub Scouting Standards
Youth members of Cub Scouting are permitted to participate in the shooting activities named in here only.

Archery and BB gun shooting are restricted to day camps, Cub Scout/Webelos Scout resident camps, council-managed family camping programs, or to council activities where there are properly trained supervisors and all standards for BSA shooting sports are enforced. Archery and BB gun shooting are not to be done at the pack level.

Cub Scouts are not permitted to use any other type of handgun or firearm.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby kwildman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:11 pm

probably varies on the council but that is why I asked about using a council range for cub shooting. whether or not renting a council owned range makes it a council event is questionable but I have seen it allowed.

Biggest problem with this is the liability management for BSA because somewhere a pack is going to try to do a bb-gun shoot in populated subdivision. BB guns tend to have a lot of issues because of attitudes of "its just a bb gun". Same thing with the "air soft" guns. I had a pack get pretty upset at me when i told them there was absolutely no provision for using air soft guns as part of the cub program.

It gets easier as the kids get older. Being an NRA instructor and RSO has the advantages of being able to do troop or crew shooting sports throughout the year and not being limited to council ranges.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:13 pm

I completed the council BSA bb-gun and archery courses. Our council offers them so that packs can run official shooting events with certified range masters. For this event, we are using a council camp BB-gun range. If we do a non-BSA camp location, we must setup a range that meets the criteria in the shooting sports publication. Usually, it's much much easier to use a council camp. In exchange, I am on the list of people who can be called to help with council or district shooting events. I don't mind that at all because I generally love getting to the camps.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby kwildman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:58 am

rules for cub shooting are pretty clear that they should not be done at other locations. I know some bend the rules a little if you use a council range. But i would not do a shooting event at non-council sponsored or non-council camp. You are not allowed to setup a range in your backyard regardles of wether you follow the rules. i would be careful because regardless of what your trainer told you ,your council and/or national will not back you up if you dont follow national standards and someone gets hurt.

addtionally the shooting sports publication is a "restricted item" and is intended for the shooting sports director of a cub scout camp.
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:11 pm

kwildman wrote:rules for cub shooting are pretty clear that they should not be done at other locations. I know some bend the rules a little if you use a council range. But i would not do a shooting event at non-council sponsored or non-council camp. You are not allowed to setup a range in your backyard regardles of wether you follow the rules. i would be careful because regardless of what your trainer told you ,your council and/or national will not back you up if you dont follow national standards and someone gets hurt.

addtionally the shooting sports publication is a "restricted item" and is intended for the shooting sports director of a cub scout camp.

Yes, the shooting sports publication is "restricted". You can't buy it. I had to complete the council-led BB-gun range master and archery range master / instructor training. The council shooting sports committee representative gave us each a copy. Effectively, I am now listed as a council volunteer who can help run BB-gun / archery shooting events. I am generally only interested at helping at the district or unit level. But if I am available, I'll help at the council level too.

I think the difference is as someone earlier pointed out. Different councils interpret the rules differently. Our council will allow us (council trained volunteers) to setup a bb-gun / archery ranges as long as they meet the specifications in the book. It is emphasized though that is easier to use a camp range as it is ready-to-go.

The event this last weekend went great. It was the highlight of the Webelos visit. Even our boy scouts enjoyed it, though we only had a few boy scouts shoot. We started with target practice. Then, they shot clay trap discs. At first, I thought they were bouncing off. What was actually happening was that the BBs were drilling really small holes in the discs in the center. You had to hit the right spot, usually the edge, to crack the disc in half. When they broke the disc, they got a patch from the "clearance" shelf at the camp trading post. $0.25 each. Then they shot balloons that I had pre-filled and tied 5 at a time on a string. Finally, they shot Nila Waffers. 1st one to break one won the box of wafers. Of course, it was emphasized that good scout spirit means the Webelos were to share the snack. :)
Fred Johnson
Life

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities