Mid-Atlantic Sea Base

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Mid-Atlantic Sea Base

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:35 am

Does your Council operate a Sea Base-like high adventure base in the Mid-Atlantic states?

My Crew wants to do a trip similar to the Florida Sea Base Fishing Adventure.

If your Council does not, do you know one that does?
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Re: Mid-Atlantic Sea Base

Postby Quailman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Not exactly Mid-Atlantic. Actually, it's on the Third Coast - The Rio Grande Council operates a sea base.

http://www.riograndecouncil.org/openros ... rgkey=2275
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Longhunter Program at Camp Grimes (Mecklenburg Scout Reservation), North Carolina

(Click here for info and a video.)

The Longhunter Program is a unique summer camp program designed for older scouts who have completed many of the other merit badge programs at Camp Grimes. Participants in Longhunter are required to be at least First Class and at least 14 years of age.

Immerse yourself in living history while enjoying the challenges of everyday frontier life. A true high adventure program, the Longhunter program utilizes experts in living history to provide a week long experience which includes activities such as Black Powder Rifle, Lumberjack games, Archery, Tomahawk throw, Woodcraft, campfire cooking, edible and useful plant identification, and most importantly, making living in the outdoors a more comfortable experience.

In addition to the rough and tumble activities of the Longhunter program, there will also be a chance for Scouts to test their practical skills by completing various projects like sewing a canvas haversack, carving a walking staff, basket making, forging steel tools, or hand crafting any number of useful items. Longhunter Scouts will also have the opportunity to camp in authentic civil war era tents at the Longhunter area, on days when our bigger events are scheduled. Scouts will be spending the entire week in the Longhunter area.

Apply for the Longhunter program using Online Registration at mycampgrimes.org.

P.S. Frontier Cabin... Travel back to the 1800’s as you can visit a true old time log cabin with a blacksmith shed, smokehouse, and grist mill. Pan for gold in the creek, make your own candles, craft arrowheads, and much more at the Frontier Cabin.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:10 pm

http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/v ... nkkey=9297

This is Camp Rodney's High Adventure Sailing Program.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:41 am

Thanks, everyone.........

Fishing is what they want. Even if it is a day of tossing grenades into the water.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:Fishing is what they want.

Just a thought (okay, a rambling)...

Huntington Beach State Park (Murrells Inlet, SC)

• Primitive camping area
    • 5-min. walk to beach (swimming, surf fishing, etc.)
    • 20-min. walk to jetty
    • Fire ring(s)
    • Picnic shelters
      -- 2-min. walk to "real" toilets (may be open only during park hours, I think?)
  • Park features:
    • Atalaya "castle"
    • 26-mile bike path... "....runs from Murrels Inlet [north of the park] through the park down to Litchfield Beach [south of the park]." "All types of bicycles can use this new bike path." --which should mean it's either paved, or otherwise extremely well-maintained.
    • 2-mile "hiking" trail (probably more like a walking trail -- IOW, no elevation difficulties)
    • 1/4-mile "interpretive" trail (I assume that means educational markers/signs/etc)
    • Numerous "boardwalks" extend out into the salt marsh and freshwater lagoon for exceptional wildlife viewing.
    • Education Center
    • Not really a feature; but, there are REAL alligators in this park (actually, these gators live in the brackish water of the marsh, which is close, but not too close, to the campsites... and no, they are NOT caged, et al... nobody tells them where to go or not go.)
    • Marsh crabbing (i.e., crab buckets <--Man, I used to love this!)
    • Surf seining, marsh seining, net fishing, etc.
    • Salt marsh kayaking
    • Etc.

Nearby activities:

• 20 min. drive to Garden City Pier -- pier fishing... (pole rental and bait available)
  • 10-min. drive to Murrells Inlet Public Boat Landing -- inlet fishing and, of course, flounder gigging (at night)
    • BYOB (Bring your own boat(s)), or
    • Also available, commercial salt-water marinas (e.g., Capt. Dick's Marina offers open-water and deep-sea fishing trips, as well as, fishing and pontoon boat rentals, kayak rentals, etc.)
  • 15-min. drive to Wachesaw Public Boat Landing on the Waccamaw River (Intra-coastal Waterway) -- fresh-water fishing (from a boat, not riverbank).
    • BYOB (Bring your own boat(s)), or
    • Also available, rent one at Wacca Wache Marina (a commercial, fresh-water marina located at Wachesaw Landing).
  • Brookgreen Gardens <-- Awesome!

DISCLAIMER: The stuff I've mentioned above pretty much avoids the tourist trappings of Myrtle Beach, et al, and its gory glory. Of course, the commercial operations I've mentioned (Wacca Wache Marina and especially, Capt. Dick's Marina) do serve tourists... so, caveat emptor. While I have used them before (many, many, many moons ago), this is by no means a recommendation. So, I say again, caveat emptor. But, if you need such services, I think if you plan well in advance (like six or nine months to a year, and let them know who you are what your needs are), you'll be okay.

Maybe, these folks could give you some references, ideas, etc: Coastal Carolina Council, Black River District. (Unali'Yi Lodge 236's latest Where To go Camping guide has nothing noteworthy.)
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Maybe they can get on an episode of "Swamp People" or "River Monsters" on the History Channel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 pm

Trust me; I'd much rather hang out with the gators than the "tour-ons" (as I so affectionately used to call them)...

1st, they won't mess with you, unless you mess with them;
    2nd, they know how to keep their kids under control (even it it means eating them); and,
    3rd, they know how to drive better... still haven't figured that one out... probably never will, either.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities