Jamboree Tales and Stories Good, Bad and Ugly

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Jamboree Tales and Stories Good, Bad and Ugly

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Ok I have been home for two weeks now and feel almost normal. SO I would like To relate three Jamboree tales to you.
The Good Sean! Sean is a quad amputee I believe he is 13. Dad told be about the how and why but boils down to Flesh eating infection from a cut from soccer. Nothin stops this young man he motored up in his wheel chair and said I want to rappel and we all said well lets go. My staff got him harnessed up and Sean climbed the steps to the top of the tower. Our tower had a free rappel station which made it much easier for Sean to get over and down. He came back amother day and rappelled again. he also went and did the zip line in the Action Center and that was in The Jamboree Today. At home in is spare time Sean mentors military amputees. This young man should be an inspiration to us all.

The Bad Had a dad and scout come up I believe Monday or early Tuesday the last day or two of Jamboree and dad sadi he really needs to rappel, it is one of the things he wanted to do when he came. I said why wait until now? The reply was we are visiting and trying to do as much today as possible. My reply was please leave this area now before I call the MP's you have no right to do anything except observe here. If you did get to do anything you should not have done you should be ashamed of yourself. You basicially committed theft of services. The father was not real happy with me. (This was directed to the Father not the scout)

The ugly Realizing you are brushing your teeth with Neosporin not toothpaste until it is too late. Bad morning that day.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: Jamboree Tales and Stories Good, Bad and Ugly

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 pm

wagionvigil wrote:The ugly Realizing you are brushing your teeth with Neosporin not toothpaste until it is too late. Bad morning that day.
One of the guys in my barracks had that beat - He used Athlete's Foot Cream. :-)
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:17 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:
wagionvigil wrote:The ugly Realizing you are brushing your teeth with Neosporin not toothpaste until it is too late. Bad morning that day.
One of the guys in my barracks had that beat - He used Athlete's Foot Cream. :-)

Yep that has me beat It could have been worse
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby jr56 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby ronin718 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Wow, so many stories, so little space...

Good... Besides the joy of helping my son complete patch sets, the best story for me was going over to Troop 650 to do a shirt trade (these were the SF Shark shirts) and having my son invited to take part in their Eagle recognition ceremony. That's Scouting Spirit!!! :D

Bad... Our Mysterium Compass slots were for Thursday afternoon. Storms came in during lunch, taking down our dining flies. Got them back up, our boys went to catch the Red line. We're in SC5, way too close to Longstreet Station. After watching a dozen buses pass them by because they were full, some boys started walking. MC cancelled some afternoon shows. Our tickets became useless. :(

Ugly... Shower house at SC5 was set up to allow for some privacy for the youth, and it was better than the garbage bag facilities at most camps. Youth area was slowly destroyed by some little hooligans as they tore down curtains, then plastic walls, then shower heads. Toilets were intentionally clogged, waste material smeared on walls. Sad situation. :evil: This also led to an adult staffer going rather ballistic and overboard on enforcement. But that's another ugly story...
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby lambeausam » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:16 am

Not just good, but great - seeing the smile on my son's face when he came down the escalator at the airport. He had a wonderful time!

Bad - Sleeping on the floor at DCA when their flight was cancelled.
lambeausam
Life

Postby biglou » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:56 am

This is my personal favorite. Having my girlfriend and her daughter come down to visit. Kristin and Emily went with my Council's tour bus. They had an interesting trip down. I was really surprised that she had came down. Kristin wanted to see what "my world" was like. Well, no better way to see what that is like than a Jamboree. I had fun taking and her Emily around. We went over to the National Exhibits and looked around. It was a very good day.

I also realize that Kristin is a keeper! :D
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities