Council Mandatory Jamboree Campout dates

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Council Mandatory Jamboree Campout dates

Postby ronin718 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:26 am

wagionvigil wrote:The purpose is to work with YOUR patrol and YOUR troop. By doing it at another council it serves no purpose whatsoever except to meet the Mandatory Shakedown.

I agree with you on that one. This is coming down to one of those letter vs. spirit of the law issues. That's another reason we held a separate troop campout, to give the guys a chance to work with each other. The guys who aren't able to make the council campout attended the troop campout

We're not going to change anything on this issue. Some councils are restricting participation to their own campout, while others are working with adjacent councils to enable the youth to meet the letter of the law. We've opened up our "extra" slots to other councils to help their youth meet this requirement, and there's enough interest from those folks to tell me this method is not that unusual.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am

It drives me nuts to see (on this forum as well as in real life) BSA leaders trying to figure out a way to circumvent rules and regulations. We are here to teach these boys to follow the rules and be leaders. Recently we had an incident on a campout where one of the senior boys (an Eagle at that) was swearing in his tent. A couple of the parents became very upset and even demanded that he be kicked out of the Troop. When questioned about his behavior he immediately owned up to it. When asked why he was swearing his response: "I didn't think it was a big deal." Why would you think that? his response "I hear all of the leaders swear, even [specific leaders names]". He listed two of the leaders that had been complaining about his language. Why this story? WE ARE TEACHING THESE BOYS ALL OF THE TIME! Not just when we want them to learn knots. They will learn to bend and break rules if we are doing it. FWIW: The Scout made apologies and will have to ACTIVELY help plan the next campout, but will not be allowed to participate. The adults will be spoken to by the SM, and the boy will also help lead a discussion with the Troop regarding appropriate language for Scouts and leaders.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:28 am

It comes back to entitlement. These parents think they should get Their way all the time.Well time to stop that stuff. And maybe these hard line Councils are doing the correct thingA I have always had a problem with BSA using the word Should instead of must. SHould is open to anything. Must is it. Either you do it or else.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:22 pm

This person is flying overseas with his family. Not staying home to sort out his sock drawer or to hang out. While I understand the reason for mandatory meetings, you do need some flexibility. This guy expressed a willingness to drive 8 hours to make up for it. Not the same thing, I agree, but it does not sound like some one who just want the world on a plate. :roll:
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ronin718 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:44 pm

What also needs to be understood is that the Council established the option from the beginning. This was not something the parents harangued the Council into doing. I can't help what your Councils chose to do. I only started this thread to find options for a youth in my troop. I didn't realize it would cause such rancor within the ranks.

I'm not happy about the last minute "emergency", but since that is what the family chooses to call it, and the alternate option is allowed for by my Council, it is my duty as a troop leader to help the young man out.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 pm

<~~~Ronin: I am not challenging you. Your council was remiss it allowing the bending of the rules. We have had some similar things in our council also. I was at our last Jambo campout (we had one weekend last fall and one this spring) and saw a number of boys who can not make the weight cut. I am concerned about how this wil be handled as only one of the ASM's for the Troop seems at all concerned. The two weekends solved the problem in our council, if a boy could not make one, he darned sure better make the next one. They have all made it to at least one, and most to both.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am

ronin718 wrote:........... it is my duty as a troop leader to help the young man out.

Absolutely correct. :D
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby lambeausam » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:26 pm

Our council's shakedown was this past weekend. One of the comments from a boy in my son's patrol is that he was glad everyone from the patrol was there so they could really get to know each other and learn each other's strengths and weaknesses. My son commented, "Mom now I know why you were so excited to send me to Jamboree!" For a while I think he thought I was looking at it as a two-week break from a teenager. :wink:
lambeausam
Life

Previous

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities