International Scouting Events/Camps

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

International Scouting Events/Camps

Postby fritz1255 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:16 pm

We did Kandersteg (Switzerland) in 2005, and just returned from the International Jamborette in Blair Atholl, Scotland. Kandersteg is something like an international scout camp, while the Jamborette is a bi-annual event held at the same venue each time. Both were geat experiences for the boys and adults, although some of the things that we saw would send the "rules weenies" on this forum into a state of apoplexy: Most foreign Troops are co-ed, and boys and girls sometimes sleep in the same tent; and the attitiude toward alcohol consumption is somewhat looser over there, with drinking within the camp by those of legal age (as low as 16 in continental Europe). Anyways, anybody have any suggestions/experiences for other overseas camps of events? We are looking to do another event in about 2010.
fritz1255
Life

Re: International Scouting Events/Camps

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:36 pm

I can be a rules weenie when it comes to BSA Rules. If we are talking about another scouting organization then their ruiles apply. I am a firm believer in Co ed Scouting. Of course I am in the Very very minority :lol:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WVBeaver05 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm

That is my position as well. We live with and follow the rules that exist. If we don't like them, then the correct action is to work to change them through the appropriate processes.

I have spoken to Europeans about Scouting and they are quite amused by the US insisting on keeping genders in separate programs.

Further, the last time anyone mentioned it to me, the "legal drinking age" in Germany was 12 (although I did not confirm that when I was there). At that the concept of "legal drinking age" in Germany is relatively new.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:16 pm

"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby LSR » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 pm

WVBeaver05 wrote: ......Further, the last time anyone mentioned it to me, the "legal drinking age" in Germany was 12 (although I did not confirm that when I was there). At that the concept of "legal drinking age" in Germany is relatively new...

Kinda like in Louisiana..... :wink: (I've lived here for 15 years and still can't believe we have drive through Daquiri stands!)
LSR
Life

Postby FieldSports » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:32 pm

World Jambo in 2011 :P See you there!!
Japan's National Jamboree is good
Europe usually has a jamboree warm-up for World
Spoke with a troop that went to Africa and did the HoHo program (Home Host).
Check with the International division at National. They have the contact info on the Web. They are very helpful.

World Jambo was an eye opener for co-ed adventures. We are one of the few nations that is not co-ed. Most leaders were also 21-25 years old and wondering why an old "45 year-old" was still a leader.

Lastly, while traveling the globe. You follow US BSA rules. No alcohol, no co-ed sharing of tents, YPT, etc.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities