NER Action Center D

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

NER Action Center D

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:15 pm

OK It is official. I can start recruiting for real. I am taking names for the Rappel Tower in D. Of course the Director is a real SOB and is no fun to work with. But if you want to really help out a scout and you are from The NER or have friends in the NER that you want to work with get and application and get it submitted asap.(around the end of May). Check Region and Rappel tower. You do not have yto work for your own region. If interested in crossing lines email me. Right Hops?

Now saying all that i rappelling is not your bag then sign up for one of the other action center areas.
Archery,NBB Guns,BMX,Buckskin Games,Pioneering,Confidence Course,Action Alley,(high course and low course) Bikeathelon,Shotgun.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:18 pm

I hearby volunteer to help in any area that I am legally allowed to work, if so selected.

I will get certified in any area as needed, if so selected.

I have good skills but all my training is military certs and they are not recognized by the BSA.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:23 pm

We will talk. I have had staff that never rappeled before they came to the jamboree but left with an instructors card.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Everything he has said about NER Rappel Tower D is correct. Especially about the director; a real big SOB :lol:

Truly a ton of fun. I enjoyed the whole experience in 2005. It's a lot of work, but it's fun work and it's rewarding work.

Wagion, I have signed up for a rock climbing and rappelling class next semester here at school :)
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:29 am

wagionvigil wrote:We will talk. I have had staff that never rappeled before they came to the jamboree but left with an instructors card.

I have rappled with the Army when they had to tie thier own Swiss Seats. Only buildings and rock walls. Never learned the rope anchoring stuff. Never Aussi style either - would like to learn this and run down a wall.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:38 am

Aussie is not an "official"or Permitted BSA Rappelling Technique. But has been known to happen on the back side of the tower at the jamboree during set up days. :)
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:47 am

Thundering Wind, they'll teach you everything you need to know dealing with equipment and such. I went in 2005 and the only kind of experience I had was Climbing Merit Badge. I know of at least one youth who had never done any rappelling before and he was on the rappelling staff.

The group we had last time was awesome! Everyone worked together and had a good time. If you needed help, you asked for it and somebody would help you. You weren't expected to know everything.

Tower D is a busy tower. Wagion, was it about 1000 a day I believe in 2005? You'll work hard but it's a ton of fun and it's very rewarding. I still think of one Scout in particular.

Rappelling > BMX 8) 8) 8) :lol:
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities