2010 National BSA Jamboree

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Are you planning on attending the 2010 National Jamboree

I will be there
44%
No can't do it
12%
Not Sure Yet
44%

Total votes : 25

2010 National BSA Jamboree

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:58 am

Well it will soon be time to start signing up to attend the 2010 National Jamboree. Either as a Staff member or attending with your council.
A couple reminders: Staff pay only the Jamboree Fee and youth staff is up untill age 21. There are a lot of staff positions bothe NAtional and Region. Do you work? Absolutly! Is it Fun? You bet ya! SO lets see whos planning ahead.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:59 am

Those that are planning on "visiting" in 2010 it may be very restrictive this time.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby lifescoutforlife » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:15 am

Hope to be there as a ASM.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:02 am

I am torn between applying to be a contingent leader or coming back on staff. I most likely will be on staff.

Either way, I plan on being a part of this Jamboree. I had a blast at the 2005 Jamboree!

See You at the Hill,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:06 am

lifescoutforlife wrote:Hope to be there as a ASM.

Same here.

Already saving for the 2010 National and 2011 World Jamborees.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:30 am

I'd love to go, I'll be 18 nearing 19 at that point, I want to see if my troop will take some leaders (yours truely, of course) and boys to the jambo, bsa's 100th, wouldn't want to miss it.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby hops_scout » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:41 am

I hope to be there on staff once again! I had better start saving real soon though because I'm gonna be a poor college student for the next few years :x

I intend to be falling off that tower once again. Wagion, I think we need to convince that old Brit to join the Tower 8)
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby Chief J » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:43 am

pipestone1991 wrote:I'd love to go, I'll be 18 nearing 19 at that point, I want to see if my troop will take some leaders (yours truely, of course) and boys to the jambo, bsa's 100th, wouldn't want to miss it.

You would need to apply to your Concil to attend as an Assistant Scoutmaster of one of the contingent troops that will be formed. An alternative is to apply to attend the Jamboree as a staff member. At 18 or 19 you would still be considered Youth Staff. There are literally thousands of opportunities to work on staff as a youth. Wagion had several on the Rappell tower in 2005, as well as all activities in the action centers, OA areas and shows, security, subcamps, etc.

See You at the Hill,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:53 am

I searched the 5 nearest councils before I found one that would let me join there contingent for less than 3 weeks and less than $3000. (Besides not having the time and money to do that for 3 of us, I don't want to spend several days touring without my wife and on some council executives vacation plan.) I prefer to do the touring with my family and not at the same time as 100,000 scouts.

I've been planning for years to attend the 2010 jamboree and celebrate the 100th anniversary of BSA. This coincides perfectly with the ages of my two boys to attend with me.

I could have applied for a staff position with national or region, but my boys are not old enough to staff, so I had to find a contingent for them. I have a friend who lives in Virginia. Their council was going to be my next try if I couldn't find a nearby council to accept us into their contingent. If the Virginia council(s) had failed, I guess my next try would be a complaint to national, but I'm not sure how much that would have helped.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:20 pm

For those of us that were abused at the 05 Jamboree I hope, no I pray they have some items corrected to make our stay more enjoyable.
Some things that were mentioned in several after action reports were
1. Better shower facilities at the sub camps STAFF area and be for staff only No others.
2. Only those that are paid participants or staff attend the shows. This eliminates all the security crap we went through. ANd they did not.
3. Charge everyone that visits a fee to enter the grounds. This will help reduce the cost for participants and staff. Everyone out by 5:00 on show Days
4. Only allow those that do visit One day and thats it.
5. No patch trading allowed the first 3 days. No outside traders (visitors)ever.
6. Sub camp dining Coffee is for the staff only. Those of us that needed coffee before work and got none know why.

If you want all the benefits Be on staff or get on a contingent.

These were on several after action reports so don't shoot the messenger
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Yeah, the long-haired grouch needs his coffee in the morning!!! Better watch out otherwise! :twisted: :twisted:

I agree with the patch trading stuff too.
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:18 pm

Where might I find more information about being on staff?

I'm up for some abuse.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:11 pm

I am guessing that ther will be Jamboree information out late this year or early next.As soon as I find out anything it will be here
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby mt_goodrich » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:45 pm

I was kind of curious as to the procedure and the qualifications staff members were required to have. Also, what type of time commitment.

I guess I was looking for general information based on past experience.

Thanks!
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby hops_scout » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Let's see....

In 2005 I showed up 4 days before participants.
I believe we had 1.5-2 days off.
Staff ate in dining tents for breakfast and dinner, had pack lunches.
You're expected to work, and expect to be busy, but have fun.

I worked with Wagion on Rappel Tower D. We put off around 1000 a day. We were constantly busy, but it was a ton of fun!

Expect to walk a lot! There are buses, but for a lot of things, it seemed like it was easier to just walk. I know on my day off, I took a bus over to Action Center A but I ended up walking all the way back to Action Center D. That wasn't too bad.

I'll try thinking of more I can say. Overall, I really enjoyed it and I want to go back! :D
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby fin24000 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:29 am

Do you have to have to been to jambo before to be youth staff?
Troop guide
Former: Scribe, Troop guide, Patrol leader, Ast. patrol leader and Troop Webmaster.
Life Scout
OA Ordeal member
SHAC NYLT 073 Staff
SHAC NYLT 063
Philmont NAYLE 2007 session 2

sig updated 5/19/08
fin24000
Star

Postby hops_scout » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:46 am

Nope. I went for the first time in 2005 as Youth Staff. It's awesome.
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby fin24000 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:26 am

OK sweet...... yeah I will be 18 so would like to staff rather then try to go as an ASM......
Troop guide
Former: Scribe, Troop guide, Patrol leader, Ast. patrol leader and Troop Webmaster.
Life Scout
OA Ordeal member
SHAC NYLT 073 Staff
SHAC NYLT 063
Philmont NAYLE 2007 session 2

sig updated 5/19/08
fin24000
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:11 am

Just remember you are still considered youth staff until you are 21. AS long as you do not turn 21 until after the last day of the Jamboree.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Chief J » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:34 am

During the 2005 Jamboree I worked in the Subcamp Commissary. We were responsible for receiving all food and other supplies in the subcamp (not the action centers). The commissary had a Commissary Officer, 3- Asst Commissary Officers (shift Leaders) and 9 - 12 Commissary Assistants. We were broken up into 3 teams and generally worked as follows:

1. I showed up about 4 days before the participants and left on the same day as the participants (after Noon).
2. All commisary folks worked during the day the first 3 days we were there. This consisted of setting up the commissary, conducting an inventory of our supplies and equipment and generally getting ready.
3 The evening before participants arrive, we shifted into Jamboree mode. That is we started shift work and were ready to receive trucks on a nightly basis.
4. All trucks and deliveries were made at night to avoid the number of people on the roads during the day. Our truck used to arrive at 11:00 each night. Ice arrived around 2:00 AM every night, and a final delivery of the Jamboree today newspaper used to arrive around 5:30 AM each morning.
5. We staffed three crews and worked as follows:
Day 1 - Crew A Noon to Midnight, Crew B Midnight til Noon, Crew C - Off
Day 2 Crew C - Noon to Midnight, Crew A - Midnight to Noon, Crew B - Off, etc.
6. The crew from Noon to midnight staffed the lunch kiosk each day for a couple of hours
7. We ate in the subcamp dining hall for breakfast and dinner, and kiosk (sack lunches) for lunch.
8. When you weren't scheduled to work, you could participate in the Jamboree activities.
9. On the nights of arena shows, we worked it out so everyone that wanted to go could.
10. I agree with Hops, there are busses, but alot of times you are better off walking.
11. I also agree with the shower situation, however for our work schedule the showers were generally empty when I went over (after midnight and after Noon.

My experience was wonderful, and I am looking forward to the next one.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Next

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities