2010 National Jamboree

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

2010 National Jamboree

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 am

I fully realize the next National Jamboree is 4+ years away BUT. For everyone out there across the country it is not too early to start planning your vacations so you can be on staff or attend this great event. Staff is needed at each of the four region operated action centers and no prior experience is need at any area We will train.
Adult staff was around 600. this last one and youth staff (16-20) was around 300. you must provide your own transportation to and from.
We could have used another 20 staff members at just the rappel tower I operated. Why? Wth a staff of say 45 I could double? the number per day because as it was the person that put the scout of was also the person belaying. WIth more staff we could add a balayer on the bottom so that as soon as the person on top put the scout over the edge they could be getting another ready to go.

Time involved? Thursday prior to the jamboree Beginning until the Jamboree is over.
So please consider this is your future plans.
I believe in the program, do You?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:03 am

Questions...
Location, approx. cost... and dates...? Besides that im fully interested.
dannyagunther@gmail.com <<== email me with info or just reply..
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue May 23, 2006 9:09 am

The 17th BSA National Jamboree, which will celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Scouting in the United States, is currently scheduled for Ft. A.P. Hill, VA, from July 26 through August 4, 2010

Cost to be determined. The NATIONAL Fee for the last Jamboree (in 2005), if I remember correctly, was $595.00 for youth participants and all adults, and $295.00 for Youth staff. That fee did NOT include the costs for uniforms and personal equipment, nor the additional fees each local council adds to cover the cost of equipment, transporation, touring, lodging and food while touring, contingencies, etc. The council fees can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, depending on the council location, amount of touring, etc.

National Staff members pay only the National fee and provide their own transportaion (at their own expense) to the site.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Tue May 23, 2006 9:12 am

Remember youth staff is 16 up to the youths 21st BD So if they turn 21 the day after the jamboree is over they pay the youth fee. ALso All members of Venture crews and Ships are allowed to staff all areas.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby maricopasem » Tue May 23, 2006 2:21 pm

I believe in the program, do You?

Wow. It sounds like you're suggesting that if I don't participate in this Jamboree I'm not committed to Scouting.
maricopasem
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Tue May 23, 2006 2:24 pm

Not in the least!
It is just hard to get folks to commit to the time involved. Actually in any program. Especially as far in advance as BSA needs for the Jamborees. Just want people to start planning ahead.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Tue May 23, 2006 2:59 pm

For those of you on bubble about it right now, I'll offer a couple suggestions...

1) Start Saving now. No matter your method of attending, the Jamboree is expensive. I went on Youth Staff so it was 295 National fee, plus 300 transportation, and then another 300 on equipment and uniforms. Oh, and spending money :D

2) Don't miss the opportunity! It is awesome!
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Tue May 23, 2006 11:48 pm

well im 19 now, and 20 in a few weeks (19 days to be exact, but whos counting, heh). Is this search for members just exclusive for scouts only? Or can adults my age jump in?
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby Chief J » Wed May 24, 2006 12:07 am

Adult staff is age 21 and up. There are literally thousands of jobs you can do at the Jamboree. Yes, it does cost to work on staff, but the experience is awesome!.

2005 was my first Jamboree worked on staff in Subcamp 4. Looking forward to returning in 2010.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed May 24, 2006 8:19 am

Best Sub Camp there Right Chief J?
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Chief J » Thu May 25, 2006 10:58 am

Absolutely, we had alot of fun and took care of alot of Scouts. My hat is off to the Subcamp 4 Dining Hall Staff, they really made life easy for everyone at the 2005 Jamboree.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

NJ

Postby riverwalk » Thu May 25, 2006 7:50 pm

I'm hopeful that I will attend my first NJ, at the 2010 one. But I don't mind a reminder on how early to establish my interest with Staff? I was too late I think last year, as my inquiries weren't even returned.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Northeast Region was still accepting staff after the first day of the Jamboree.
wagionvigil
Counselor

NJ

Postby riverwalk » Thu May 25, 2006 8:30 pm

Thanks. I had specified (then) my interest in either Medical staff areas, or the International Scouting area. I might be just as willing to do anything needed, just like in local events...if there's a need, Scouters should ready to help.

But I'll be more visible, and earlier this next time around, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Re: NJ

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:01 am

riverwalk wrote:I'm hopeful that I will attend my first NJ, at the 2010 one. But I don't mind a reminder on how early to establish my interest with Staff? I was too late I think last year, as my inquiries weren't even returned.

wagionvigil wrote:Northeast Region was still accepting staff after the first day of the Jamboree.

Interesting. Riverwalk - were your inquiries made via e-mail? In my experience, the Boy Scout professionals are TERRIBLE at handling e-mail. I have had bad experiences with them locally and at the Philmont Training Center. I have offered to gather a few volunteers locally and give an e-mail etiquette class to our professionals. If they used e-mail the way that they do in a business environment they would be councilled, disiplined, and perhaps fired.

On the other hand, if the Jamboree still needed staff and someone wanted to help at a late date, I think we have identified an opportunity for improvement in the next one. I don't know what processes were in place, but I do know that COMMUNICATIONS is the key to many things and coordinating this many staff is no exception.

The thought that first pops in to my head is that as the time gets closer the people most involved will be .... well, MOST INVOLVED and have less time for communications/coordination of things like later staff inquires. Maybe there could be some volunteers who won't be attending just responsible for handling requests for info. Another thought would be to have someone who can try to match needs with available people. (Don't know if that is what happened to Riverwalk, but I can see a request to South Region - who doesn't need any help not ever being referred to North East who does.)

Just some thoughts.

And, wagionvigil, thanks for the early reminder/encouragement!!

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:34 pm

the Problem is that all applications go to Texas then they are sent out to the Regions. Some Regions are better at beating on the Door so to speak then others. I had a staff member from central Region because even though his application was sent in really early it was never acted on by the Region so I got a great youth Staff member.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:00 am

WEll folks a year ago many of us were either at the hill or on tye way to the hill at this time.
Four years from now we will do it all again BUT it is not too early to start planning.
Staff will be needed in all areas and if you want to go with a concuil contingent you will need to register as soon as the applications are out.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mad Dog » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:12 am

Do you have to go with a council contingent or can scouts/scouters attend as individuals??
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:32 am

You Must attend with a council or be or staff to take part in any activities at the Jamboree. You may visit as an observer but the activities at the Jamboree are reserved for those that have "paid the fee."
The Military activities and the Conservation area are open to everyone.
ALl action Centers and Merit Badge Midway etc are for the participants only.
Personally after the last Jamboree I would like them to ban visitors after 5:00 every day. That would also mean the Show days. The shows should be for participants only especially after the disasters in 2005.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:04 pm

My council refuses to include me in their contingent unless I am willing to commit double the time and triple the money. They make a 3-week trip of it, and tour around Boston, NY, DC, etc. They stay in fancy hotels, and eat at fancy restaurants. Besides the money, ($3000 x 3) I don't want to tour the country with 700 boy scouts and without my wife.

My sons will be 13 & 15 at the time of the Jamboree, and we have been planning on this one for several years. How do I get us registered? Are there youth staff positions? If there are, will we have time to enjoy Jamboree, or would we be working the whole time? Do I need to find another council that will accept us?
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Next

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities