High Adventure Camporee

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

High Adventure Camporee

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:39 am

We are having a High Adventure Camporee for the entire Council in May. the Cost is 24.00 per scout. What they get for the 24.00
Rappelling
Zip Line
Caving
Geology Seminar
Nature Walk
Scavenger hunt
Archery and BB Range operated by the Game Commission
AS of right now we have just a couple troops registered.
Reason not attending Too Much Money
WE have to hike to our camp site from the parking lot and we cannot carry our kitchen sink.

What do you all think?

May 19,20, 21

Anyone that is interested in attending can contact me. I have a troop already coming from Lancaster Pa. So if you are near SW PA and interested drop me a line.

I have several members of My Jamboree Rappel Staff attending to help with the Rappelling.
Last edited by wagionvigil on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mad Dog » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:47 am

The price is certainly a bargain for all the boys are getting. I would suggest it to my troop but we already are way over extended in May. Good luck with it, it sounds like a great event.
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby hops_scout » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Oh boy, already starting to plot against the BMX guys? :D

Too bad you're half-way across the country otherwise I'd join ya. Bombdigity!
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Adam and Jeff, Dave and Mollie are helping
Of course gary also as he is there with me.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby vpalango » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Wow...

With a bit more notice, we might have been able to get it into the schedule and treck down from Mass. (As an old NJ Boy Scout - Troop 4 Montclair, I would have personally loved the opportunity).

However, we're already fully booked for May and won't be able to pull that one off.

Have a great time!
Vernon L. Palango
Scoutmaster, Troop 131

The best progress is made in those Troops where power and responsibility are really put into the hands of the Patrol Leaders.
-Lord Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership
vpalango
Life

Postby DadScout » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:03 pm

Our troop just spent $25/per for COPE & had a great showing. $24 for all you have going is a great deal.
However, we have to be able to bring the sink, car port, big stoves, and be able to park 10 cars on site :lol:. If we didn't have our schedule for the Spring packed already we might have joined you
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Fri May 19, 2006 9:14 am

Weoll the Camporee starts tonight. WE have 453 registered and hope they all show. It has been raining all week and is supposed to continue until tomorrow. Saturday looks to be sunny. Lets hope.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Fri May 19, 2006 10:45 am

Have fun; tell the crew I said Hi.
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Sun May 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Jeff,Adam,Chuck,Megan and Dave showed. We did 450 Scout over 3 drops in7 hours. I had a Staff of 18 working to do this. Each Drop had a belayer, plus the kicker. WE had three Ventrure Crew Members Guiding them to their drop and 4 crew members Gearing them up. Gary and I ran trouble shooting. Everyone had a blast.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Chief J » Mon May 22, 2006 10:15 am

Great Job Wagionvigil.

Congratulations!
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:32 pm

I am going to post this here but it hsa alot to do with the cancelled camporee in another thread. When we planned and advertised this camporee we asked the troops to make it a low imopact event by leaving the Trailers,car ports,potable kitchens etc at home. This was met with utter contempt. How dare we do that. So the council leadership decided to allow them to bring what they wanted. ALthough it rained all week and we had to but all the troops into a camping are designed for half that many they soon realized that if they had left all that crap home they would have had more room. We had one troop I caught setting up early n the afternoon. I happen to hear noise in ther camping area which caught my attention. I went up adn asked what they were doing and got well we are setting up our campsite. They had erected 3 car ports by the time I caught them. I told them that was well and good but this was not their campsite as they did not register until the day before and all of that stuff had to be moved. Theyt tried to argue but to no avail. They were assigned a really horrible sie but it was what they got by waiting too long to register. there was no room for all their stuff so they had to move it try tp set it up then pack it up. I blame alot of the weakening of the program on this type of leader.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:45 pm

ummm.... car ports?

Why?
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby jamessummerlin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:58 pm

Mrw wrote:ummm.... car ports?

Why?

I saw this at the one camporee I have been to since my son crossed over. What they (other troops) do is erect a sort of "dining hall" where the adults, literally, cook a gourmet meal. Scouts come through the line. I was...well, dumbfounded :shock:

My sons patrol burnt their pancakes, and had what looked like a bucket of mush that was supposed to pass as "macaroni and cheese". Other than cooking on a stove (another thread!) I thought that was a good lesson learned. We don't do the carport thing, so I do think this troop is heading in the right direction.

I understand the need for somewhere dry to cook when it rains, but isn't this where a tarp comes in handy? These car ports, I just don't get it. I'm not even sure why you would seek these things out.
jamessummerlin
Tenderfoot

Postby Mrw » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Okay. Our troop has a pretty good sized dining fly that I suppose is similar sized. The troop has four patrols and about 40 active kids though, and there is no way this would shelter even the cooks for four patrols if the weather were really lousy.

Our boys may get the adults to cook for them at most once a year, and only then as a reward for a significantly higher than last year popcorn sale or something.

We have a trailer as well these days, but if asked to leave it at home, they would manage to do without.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities