Whitewater Trips

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Whitewater Trips

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:56 am

Now is the time to schedule your White Water Trips on Western Pa, Youg River at Ohiopyle. The all the outfitters in Ohiopyle offer safe fun and exciting whitewater trips. Remember this is not an amusment park ride and things can and do happen. I highly recommed Wilderness-Voyageuers. They are the oldest outfitter on the Yough and the preferred outfitter for the Park Service. WV writes the rules and everyone else follows . It is owned by a former scout whose father was the first to take scouts down the Lower. His staff is knowledgable and offer many other high adventure activities besides rafting. Many of the staff are active in scouts and one manager is an Eagle and Vigil Honor member of the OA. SO they know what is needed.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Billiken » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks for the information wagionvigil.

We won't be able to do it this summer, but it looks good for 2007.
In 2008 we're doing a High Adventure trip, either the FL Sea Base or Atikokan/Bisset (Northern Tier Canoe Base).
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:09 pm

If and when you come this way for rafting give me a heads up and I will try to go with you.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:45 pm

The mighty Yough(Youghiogheny) Flows from Backbone Mountain in WV to the Mon River close to Pittsburgh Pa. The Word Youghiogheny Is Lenape for River that bends upon itself. How Good is the Yough? AT the Olympics in Greese during the Kayaking competition the Mighty Yough was discussed by the announcers as the best there is. There are bigger and badder but for technical kayaking this is the place. ALso close by are two Frank LLoyd Wright Houses, (Falling Water and Kentuck Knob) Rock Climbing, Biking (The Yough River Trail goes from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C.by way of the C & O Canel Trail), Caving, French and Indian War Historic Sites,great Trout fishing, 84 Lumber CLassic Golf Tournament is held at Mystic Rock a 10 minute Drive. There are Several Camping areas for Scouts, Scarlett Knob Camp Ground,Laurel Caverns Camp Ground, Ohiopyle State Park Camp Ground and Heritage Scout Reservation (GPC Council) so come and enjoy the Laurel highlands of Fayette County Pa.
Do I like where I live? Take a guess!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby 616kayak » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:45 pm

Just thought I would add to this.

Last year after doing some of he AT my troop rafted the Nantahala River in Western North Carolina. I’m familiar with the area so I acted as a guide for most of the trip. It was my 3rd time on that river, we would have done the Ocoee, but we had some younger kids with us who could not go. The best outfitter for The Nantahala is The Nantahala Outdoor Center They can be found at www.noc.com . So if you’re in the area that’s my suggestion.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:57 pm

All please remember trhat eevryone in a Kayak or canoe or raft MUST be a BSA Swimmer. There is no longer an option to Have Lifeguards with them.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hacimsaalk » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:21 pm

for any who are going down the lower yough - WILDERNESS VOYAGERS is the way to go. they cant be beat. they are awesome. there staff is knowledeable, nice, and just plain fun to be along for the ride with.

their CHeat trip is also first rate. last year waws our first time running it. it was above normal. they were the most proffessional guides on the river that day. i wouldnt ever try the trip with another group.

happy rafting
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities