Jamboree 2005

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Jamboree 2005

Postby KB1KOI » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:35 am

I want to share my story of the 2005 National Jamboree. Other who went, sit and stay a while.

JULY 23
I (part of T139, Narragansett Council) got into VA on the 23 of July to spend the day at Busch Gardens. Most of the day went with no hitch. the clock was nearing 5:30pm (needed to get to the bus before 5:45) my friend wanted to ride a last ride. When he got off, we have only 5 min to get back to the england parking lot (we were in Germany). I swore we were almost lost. about 7 later, we bump into our scoutmaster (who was wondering where the heck we where). Luckily the bus drivers didn't come back yet (whould have to wait another 20-30 min) and the two of us didn't do the worst. There was another scout (in one of sister troops) was playing around near a fire alarm pull station. He hits, and it, being senastive, goes off. The four troops whould be boarding at W&M. most of the four troops were assembly around the drom we thought we were boarding in. We wait there for 20 min, then start walking up to Jefferson Hall (the dorms we would be sleeping in). each room would sleep two, so my friend from Busch gardens (and from the meeting long before) and I slept in the same room. I went outside to take a pic of the dorm we were in, then realized the keycard (for food only) didn't work on the door. It took about 5 min until I could get back in. A PLC occured not long after (I was PL of my patrol, called the grey squrrils, but with the essances of a acorn on the patch). Diner (take-out pizza) came around 8:30-9:00

(I remember waking up to the un-familer landscape, as I wonder why Im down here)
Image (Zack, the scout who was next to me on the way down, except for a good part of the early morning, when I found two empty seat to sleep in)

This was just day1
Last edited by KB1KOI on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life, just barely shy of Eagle
34 Merit badges
6 years Yawgoog Camping
1 Jamboree (2005)
What an Experience So far
KB1KOI
Second Class

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:43 am

POst Jamboree Items in the Jamboree Part of the Forum. I will be moving this post later to that area.
WagionVigil
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby KB1KOI » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:06 pm

I didn't know there was. Thanks 8)
34 Merit badges
6 years Yawgoog Camping
1 Jamboree (2005)
KB1KOI
Second Class

Postby KB1KOI » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:37 am

Day 2 (July 24, 2005)

We wake up at about 5:45 am (breakfest was at the main building, a few minute walk away). My roommate and I locked the door the privoius night. The problem was, when I fainlly woke up, It was 5:55 am. I was hearing conversion outside the room. I open up the. One of the other scouts nearby by room was saying they been knocking on my door for the past 10 minutes. We got ready in less than 5 minutes (the fours troops wouldn't be able to go back to the dorms after breakfest). Everbody was assblemed outside in their lines, and were about to go. After a buffet style breakfest, It was a 15 minute walk to the nearest Espicoal Church. This was a nice change from the normal cathlioc mass I attend. The days plan was to go to norfork naval station, and VASC in the afternoon. The tour of the base took about 45 minutes (the intal check-in was heck since some of the gates were closed for reconstruction). Never relized the size of the station was bigger than I thought. We stopped at a local fast-food spot for lunch. Some of the scouts went across the blvd to have lunch there. A seagull was hanging around, so the scout threw a piece of food into the road. The seagull went for, but got hit, in the process. That was talk on the bus as we were to transit to VASC. Up frist when we got there was Fighter Pilot , Operation Red Flag. That was cool. The time was now around 2:30. We were to board the bus around 5:30 or so. There was lots to see there. Diner was at old country buffet (just like home town buffet, just a different name). Another 30 minuates and we were back at W&M. A PLC corcerning the plan for the following day (Monday) was disscused. Most of the scouts already had their backpacks packed (we were issues backpacks and duffel bags, we weren't to get to our duffels bags till the start of the jamboree on monday, so we used our backpacks). I made sure not to lock the door that night. Both of us in the room were listening to Robin Williams (Live 2002) off of my mp3 player (was recharging the two batteries for the trip back after jambo, afterall, wouldn't have access to a plug for over a week).
End of Day 2
Last edited by KB1KOI on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
34 Merit badges
6 years Yawgoog Camping
1 Jamboree (2005)
KB1KOI
Second Class

Postby KB1KOI » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:57 am

Day 3 (July 25, The day we get to AP Hill)

We got up at the same time, but unlocking the door kept me from an earfull about getting up late (The JL/Bagel Patrol would knock, open the door and turn on the light, indeed a good way wake a person up). All we had to do was pack the used lindens into the pillows covers, leave them out side the room, hace to room inspected, lock the door, pass ours keys in, and wait outside for breakfast (the keycards were not be collected right after). The trip north on 95 (about 90 min ride) we encountered spot showers and bright spots of sunlights. We arrived at AP Hill at about 9:30.
ImageImage
Image (Mr. Stetson, who is one of the teachers at my school)
Image (You got mail)
Got to camp about 10:30. Most of day was setting up. This was first time I understood what them ment by the temp and humidity. The only shelter from this were the tree in the back of Subcamp 1. Image
Image (My patrol, plus a few others under the 1st tarp up)
Image (the dogs days of summer, in order from left, Brad, Milyes, Me)[/img]Image (The smartest way to put up the tents)

Tommorrow, let the fun begin.
End of day 3
34 Merit badges
6 years Yawgoog Camping
1 Jamboree (2005)
KB1KOI
Second Class

Postby KB1KOI » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:05 pm

Day 4 July 26 (1st offical day of Jambo)

The troop was going to be attending 12 cubed first thing in the morning. After breakfest, the whole troop boarded the red line, inbound to Mahone. It was about a 30-45 min wait. 12 Cubed was a good performance. We were free to do anything after that. Milyes and I went to K2BSA (I am a ham afterall), I was able to do 10meters. Milyes wanted to go back to camp to pick-up some stuff. we were goning to board at Mahone, but didn't realize the line was that long. We started walking to the next stop. It took a few min but a bus showed up. Milyes got his stuff. This time, we were heading to Longstreet Termus. The route we took was thomas road, a brief stop nearby Midway for lunch, The NASA exhibit, and a walk up to Scuba. Pity we wait in line for over 30 min and are just given maybe 5 min of free swim (after the basic oriention). Its now about 4-5:00 (don't exactly remember) and I thought there was a bus stop at the end of the road which goes to Longstreet. Whoops, the bus stop I saw was Blue inbound to Mahone. The two of us walk down the road to the access road for public areana show parking. That road put us back on to Thomas. We get back onto Longstreet and head North. When we got to subcamp 5, the time was about 6:00. The buses wouldn't pick us up, so there was another 30 min walk (I've been walking without socks the better part of the futile trek, which I would pay the pay a few days later). Luckily, the adult leaders understood the issue.
End of day 4
34 Merit badges
6 years Yawgoog Camping
1 Jamboree (2005)
KB1KOI
Second Class

Postby KB1KOI » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:25 pm

Day 5 (July 27, the day that would hant the planners of the show)

Today wouldn't be much of a day, the whole of Subcamp 1 had to be back in camp by 3 to assblemy for the show. Most of you know what happened. On the way back, we took the long route arounf travis lake (thinking it was a shourtcut). The T-storms caught us while in transit. We had to stay in one of the Army house that smell of cirtus for 20 min. The shourt from boating to subcamp 1 wasn't that far. As soon as we got back into camp, It looked like a twister just came though. Everything (cept the tents) was everywhere.
34 Merit badges
6 years Yawgoog Camping
1 Jamboree (2005)
KB1KOI
Second Class

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities