2010 Attendance Limits

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

2010 Attendance Limits

Postby ThunderingWind » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:07 pm

Will there be limits on attendance at the 201 Jamobree?

Or will I have to hope and pray that my son and I will get selected for the Council Troop?
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:53 pm

Limits? Each troop is made up of 40 scouts and scouters. If your council had 1 troop that will be there are only three adult positions usually one being and under 21 adult. You can figure from there.
First application and down payment would insure your son but not you. Council picks the leadership. I would suggest being supper active over the next two years staffing training,JLT,Etc. and the big one Don't make anyone mad :twisted:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

"Politically active", hahaha, sorta.

Postby riverwalk » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:19 pm

Yes and it's tricky in some Districts. Kinda sorta like in some jobs, when you're active or doing the expected thing.....the office, or "camp" politics can work against you. I've seen Scouters black-balled or fired, and all they were doing is a bunch of Scouting.

But, I do need to figure out how to get in to the NJ. If I could ever break into the International "circle" down here, I'll know the way, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Why Limits?

Postby ThunderingWind » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:46 pm

While I understand the use of limits, especially for the 2010 Jamboree...I am dismayed that general application.

Just because a Council is only making one Troop should not keep the 41st boy in line at home (or whatever the number is). Troops should be allowed to go as a Troop just like goig to Philmont.

And I as a parent (albeit a leader also) should be allowed to go with my son if he goes. Scouting is not about keeping boys and parents out.

It just does not seem to be in keeping with the overarching principles of Scouting.

Enough said, off my soap box....But I really want to go with my son in 2010 and share in the great experience that is a Jamboree.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Chief J » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:33 am

Each Council is allocated a certain number of troops. I know during 2005, Greater Pittsburgh had 8 Troops. Each Troop is made up of 36 Scouts and 4 Troop Leaders. Of the 4 Troop Leaders, the Scoutmaster and 1st Assistant Scoutmaster must have served as Scoutmasters for three of the last five years. The 2nd Assistant Scoutmaster must be a registered adult over 21, the 3rd Assistant Scoutaster is an Audlt between the ages of 18 - 21.

I agree with Wagion, if you apply early enough and make the downpayment, your son will be accepted into a Troop. I know in Pittsburgh, we had many more apply for Troop Leadership than positions available. Another option would be if you are not selected to attend as a Troop Leader, you can apply for a staff position. It seems like we could always use more staff than we have.

I know the 2005 Jamboree had 883 Troops. I have not heard if that will be increased or not for the 2010 Jamboree.

Best Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby t305spl » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:43 am

If your council is only bringing a certain number of troops and you fear you might be on the waiting list due to the number of troops, go to a different council to go. Dont stand online hoping and waiting on a waiting list when the council next to you has enough to put you onboard to. This Jamboree I attended with the next council to the east instead of my own because i liked the way the troops in the council contingent were run there. Do whatever you can to go because it is AMAZING.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby DadScout » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:34 am

T305SPL - Just curious about the difference between the 2 councils jambo troops. What about the troop you went with made the difference? I'm guessing that all these troops have the same laundry list of rules/regs from national & jambo committee. I don't think I would would have thought to go to the neighbor council - good idea.
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby t305spl » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:09 pm

My home council was disorganized and had many problems at first with planning. Not much was getting done and the calendar I saw from them didnt make much sense. Communication throughout the council was not at the greatest. I found my neighboring council to be more professional and plans were made and communication between everyone was great. Look at all your options everyone your not limited to your own council.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby commish3 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:24 pm

Will there be attendance limits? Yes, there is a limit to would the resouces of any location can handle and so there will always be attendance limits.

As a Scout, to be able to attend is not that difficult at all. Simply meet the requirements and get your downpayment in as soon as allowed. That's basically all there is to it.
for an adult the easiest way is to have an applicable skill and put in for a National or regional staff position. It takes over 7,000 staff members to put on a Jamboree. This is where you have the greatest chance of being selected.

If you want to go as a unit leader that's a little more difficult due to the fact that there are only 4 openings per troop and for one you must be between the ages of 18 and 21. But here are some tips.
1) be Wood Badge Trained.
2) Be actively involved in a troop as an SM or ASM for at least the three years immediatly before the Jamboree.
3) Be known in your district as a good scouter, be active, be friendly, follow the program methods.

(If you do these things and aren't selected it wouldn't be a problem because you would be a well liked and valued member of your scouting community all the same.)

4) Apply as soon as the leader opportunities are announced

You have about 3.5 years to get hose things accomplished before the 2010 jamborree staff preparations begin.
commish3

When Are the Announcements Coming Out

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:28 am

OK. I can meet those requirements.

When will the announcements be posted. In my training for events such as these, the planning has already been completed by the 2010 committee and the execution of the plan should have started the day after the 2005 event closed. The only changes in the plan are the application of lessons learned and any low level details that have to wait.

But all negotiations for food costs, vendors etc should ahve already been signed.

The anouncments for staff positions should already be posted so we have plenty of time to get our applications in and the national selection ahs time to process, review and select.

Just one persons opinion.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:03 am

I started recruiting staff on this Jamboree In December of 02
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby momma_bee » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:09 pm

Need any help next time? :lol:

See, I'm the first to volunteer.

I don't want to go and be with my son. I want him to have his own experience without me.

On the other hand, DH & I would love to go.
momma_bee
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:23 pm

The Process will begin in about 2.5 years
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby commish3 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:38 pm

while the planning for 2010 has already begun on the national level, wagion is correct, it will not reach the recruiting stage for about 2.5 to 3 years. Most on what is being worked on now will be theme, logistics, physical site improvements, budgeting, program overviews and the like.

As I recall recruitment for 2005 started about February of 2004. National has had decades of experience planning these events and have a pretty good basic timeline in place thet gets tweaked every time a new jambo ends.
commish3

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities