Lifesaver...

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Lifesaver...

Postby t305spl » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:33 am

Does anyone know exactly what the scout who was awarded the Heroism Award with Crossed Palms actually did to save his fathers life at the Jamboree? (This was the scout who was awarded this at the Closing Arena show at the Jamboree)
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Scouts in Action

Postby riverwalk » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:51 pm

Reminds me of the "Scouts in Action" stories in Boy's Life. I haven't seen a Boy's Life in years. Do they still have this feature in them??

Wish Scouter mag had the same feature. We should all know of these events. Hope someone can answer for you (and me too). :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby t305spl » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:56 pm

Yes they still have that page, its my personal favorite.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby Scouting179 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:54 am

Scouts in Action has been my favorite section for 40 years.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Scouts in Action

Postby riverwalk » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:35 pm

Gee whilikers, maybe I need to subscibe again, haha. :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:05 am

t305spl wrote:Yes they still have that page, its my personal favorite.

I think I see my son's Boys Life before he does. Always check the Scouts In Action Page.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby commish3 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:57 pm

In answer to the original question...while caught in the electrical field the father managed to make eye contact with his son. Realizing that his father was immobilized, the son, at the risk of his own life grabbed his father and pulled him out of the electrical charge.
commish3

Postby Billiken » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:03 pm

commish3 wrote:..while caught in the electrical field the father managed to make eye contact with his son. Realizing that his father was immobilized, the son, at the risk of his own life grabbed his father and pulled him out of the electrical charge.

Wow!

They told us as scouts that when you see someone being electrocuted take a running start and lay a cross-body block into them (away from the source of the electricity).

I was not aware that there were people injured (we all know that 4 died) putting up the dining fly/pavillion.

Also, was it the Honor Medal with Crossed Palms?
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Incident

Postby riverwalk » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:43 pm

Oh, I didn't realize the Award event was related to one of the incidents at the NJ. I was just thinking it was a neat forum for making the presentation. Oops, sorry. No matter which event it was awarded for, I'm sure it was deserving.

A general comment is in order. Scouting can find situations like we see in Public Safety, and it is known also in Military experience. Many examples exist where someone could be so recognized....but aren't. It's not always "politics" that prevents this. It's most often a case of not being witnessed, undocumented ("written up"), and not walked through the system. If it's worth doing, then remember what Cubs say...Do Your Best, and get it through, woo-hoo! But let's prevent all the bad events we can.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:12 pm

Billiken wrote:
I was not aware that there were people injured (we all know that 4 died) putting up the dining fly/pavillion.

Also, was it the Honor Medal with Crossed Palms?

Yes, it was the Honor Medal with Crossed Palms.

In addition to the 4 Scouters killed, the injured included the father of the Scout, and two workers for the tent rental company. One was treated and released that day, one was still in the hospital when Jambo ended, and the Scout's father returned to Jambo the next day, with burns on his hands and feet, as I recall.

The "dining pavilions" were actually large (40x40) "circus type" tents, which were going to be used as dining tents for the two troops from Anchorage. One was completely up when the accident happened.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby commish3 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:47 am

Unfortunately there were 5 fatalities. One of the contractors that traveled with the troop and was there to help with the tent died of his injuries two days later.
commish3

Follow ups

Postby riverwalk » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:29 am

Thanks for the follow up. I haven't read that, but it's a common problem. In the Fire/EMS world, Burn victims that die up to a year from the incident (and because of it) are still considered a fire fatality.

And now being reported, another tragedy in a Camp setting. Things happen, and if we are vigilant some of these can be foreseen.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:05 am

commish3 wrote:Unfortunately there were 5 fatalities. One of the contractors that traveled with the troop and was there to help with the tent died of his injuries two days later.

I've seen nothing in any of the news during or since Jamboree about one of the contractors injured in the tent accident dying 2 days later. The contractors working on the tent were LOCAL, and had not travelled with the Troops from Alaska.

There WAS a 5th fatality at the Jamboree, but that was someone (a contractor) that died the day BEFORE the tent accident. He died of a heart attack, possibly/probably related to the heat.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby commish3 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:41 pm

The gentleman who died of a heart attack the day before was a member of the security staff.

A fifth person did die of fatalities from the alaska incident according to a conversation I had with a member of that council who was on staff and vas a family freind of two of the deceased Scouters.
commish3

Postby TCC7 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Here's the AP release on the NC scouter. He was an ASM.

Posted on Wed, Jul. 27, 2005

Scout volunteer, 57, dies of heart attack

By Estes Thompson

The Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. - An assistant scoutmaster who followed his grandson into the Boy Scouts was volunteering at his first national Jamboree when he died of a heart attack, his wife said Tuesday.

Albert Puff, 57, of the Stella community, about 75 miles northeast of Wilmington in Carteret County, died at a hospital near the gathering in Bowling Green, Va. A day later, four Scout leaders were killed in an electrical accident while setting up camp at the Jamboree.

Albert Puff went to Fort AP Hill in northern Virginia last week to work as a security dispatcher during the jamboree, said his wife, Gertrud Puff. Their grandson, Matthew, was riding a bus with other scouts to the Jamboree on Sunday when her husband had the attack.

Albert Puff retired last summer after a 22-year career as a production controller at the Naval Aviation Depot at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in Havelock, she said.

Their grandson started in scouting seven years ago.

"My husband went to all the meetings with him," she said. He was assistant scoutmaster for Troop 61 in Newport.

"This would have been the first national Jamboree that they were going to," Gertrud Puff said. "My grandson had earned the money to go by selling popcorn. My husband had volunteered to go."

Albert Puff is survived by his wife, two children and his grandson.
SR389 Kodiak
"Esse Quam Videri"
TCC7
First Class

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities