Special camping trip.

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Special camping trip.

Postby Lynda J » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:08 pm

We don't allow our boys to take any electronics when we camp. The only thing they can take that requires batteries is a flashlight. Well they have worked really hard this year with the older boys working hard to help the new boys advance in rank.
This past weekend we did a game camp out. We went to one of our local BS camps that has a nice big training building with electricity and all. We rented it and the boys got to bring their game cubes etc. We had 7 TV's and I don't know how many games. They had a ball. We told them before we left that if we had no problems they could plan this trip once a year. When we said lights out. They were out within 15 minutes with everyone in their sleeping bags and quite.
It was fun. The only "camping" thing they did was their cooking.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby optimist » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:07 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to show your appreciation for their hard work :)
optimist
Adv Chair

Batteries not included???

Postby riverwalk » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:26 pm

I too like the idea, as it becomes an earned thing kinda sorta, for avoiding those things at other outings. Just don't let 'em have spray cans, woo-hoo!
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:41 pm

Although often considered as such, electronics and the out-of-doors are not and should not be considered diametrically opposed. I too, expect portable electronic entertainment centers (Sony Walkman, I-pod, Gameboy, PSP, Etc.) to be left at home (or in the van), where they belong; but, Lynda’s story is a perfect example of a Scouter’s ingenuity at getting into a kid’s head.

What’s disheartening though, is when I see a Scouter get unreasonable about it. I carry a Palm Tungsten 2 which, among other things, contains hundreds of Scout skits and Scoutmaster Minutes… While I don't flash it about on camping trips, I'm not afraid to break it out when I need it. What’s wrong with a Scouter looking up a relevant Scoutmaster’s Minute for that evening’s campfire! Duh! Another example... GPS. Another example… Scouts and Scouters should ALWAYS encourage the carrying and appropriate use of portable Amateur Radio (Ham) gear by licensed Operators. Better shot at getting help than with a Cell Phone.

Two words... appropriate use.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby optimist » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:19 am

Appropriate use is right. My Scouts pulled a good one on me over the weekend. As we trudged along through the mud (rain started at 3 AM and didn't stop at any point during our 8-9 mile outing), I heard one Scout say "Hey, turn down that radio" at about the same time I noticed a rap beat behind me. I stopped and turned around trying to figure out who had the radio. I asked the Scout behind me "Is that you?" and watched this big grin spread across his face as he said "It's several of us." They were making there own music :lol:
optimist
Adv Chair

Special camping trip.

Postby trisket » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:40 pm

We too, found ourselves in a pickle of "What to do..." We were reserved to camp at our local Scout Camp when a snow storm hit and the Camp Ranger reported that the camp plow was broken and would not be fixed until late that night. The road into the camp is miles long. We scrambled to our charter representive church officials to get permission to stay in the scout room for one night. After the boys cooked in the church kitchen, we found ourselves at the local theater to take in a movie that was completed at 2330, just in time for lights out. The local YMCA gave us permission to go to the pool to work on our swim test for Swim Merit Badge, Summer camp and Jamboree camp. Energy was appearently still high as they took in some two on two racket ball competion. The boys at first complained about not being able to go to the camp, but we noticed the boys had a good time after all. We will plan another snow emergency next year. :wink:
Scoutmaster
Troop 8
Warren, PA.
trisket
Tenderfoot

Postby West » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:37 am

Thank you for still finding a way to do some sort of a trip. Nothing bothers me more then hearing about canceled events.
West
Life

Postby diamondbackAPL » Wed May 11, 2005 2:45 pm

wow! those are some great ideas. too many times after all the work is done in camp I get bored.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun