LOOKING FOR TROOP ACTIVITIES

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

LOOKING FOR TROOP ACTIVITIES

Postby T305TG » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:00 pm

hello everone

we have a faily new troop on our hands and we are looking for some fun trips in which both the older scouts and the younger scouts can enjoy activites.... does anyone have any suggestions for camps close to or on long island, NY

out of sate is fine just not to far

thanks
Chris
First Class Scout
Troop Guide
Troop #305
T305TG
Second Class

Postby t305spl » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:06 pm

As most of you know me and have heard me talk about my troop and how new it is and how slow we are moving to change. This troop sounds just like mine. So much like mine it is. T305TG is my newly appointed Troop Guide. Chris also knows our troop very well. Actually we are set from now till mid april. Good for us! We are looking for some possible late april through mid june trips. Then some trips for late august and all of next scouting year. Thanks for your help all.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby hacimsaalk » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:24 pm

well, if you dont mind going to VT, or NH, then ok. i would suggest going to a park in the Adirondak mtns, finding some place to camp, then planning fun activites to do. things like taking day hikes, going to different historical sites, and playing games together all works. Or , if you have a scout camp nearby, go there.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby commish3 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:05 am

A trip to a local EMS or REI store and you will discover a host of books with places to go and things to do in your area. Why not add a few to the troop library?
commish3

Postby Lynda J » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:30 pm

check with your local nature centers. We do a lot with ours. Great opportunity fpr hiking and nature study. Also some manufacturing companies will do tours.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby dd » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:48 pm

Our troop enjoys camping and finding bike trails and riding the trails for the day. They just did a 25 mile bike ride this weekend.
dd
Scout

Postby DPuck » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:58 am

Harriman/ Bear Mountian State Park

or

The Delaware Water Gap
DPuck
Second Class

activities

Postby mommatoodle » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:37 pm

there are alot of nice things to do around the Delaware Water Gap. There is great canoeing and rafting...great places to camp...and along Rt 94 on the NJ side is a place called Taylor Camp Ground. Inside the camp ground there is the Lakota Wolf Preserve...This you can do with out camping there..it is worth it if you have scouts that love animals...
mommatoodle
First Class

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:02 pm

There are countless activities that you can do. The easiest way to start is to take a survey of the scouts in your Troop and find out their interests. From this you can start narrowing down your search.

Once you know the scouts interests check to see what MBs are applicable to those areas and then search for places to go and things to do in support of the MB.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Mick Scouter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:03 pm

Good responses. Our boys wanted to go a number of places. They were good choices. it just took some planning.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun