Favorite GPS Units... Features, Uses, Etc.

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby vpalango » Tue May 16, 2006 1:22 pm

I personally own a Garmin 60CS. It's a great general purpose GPS useable for hiking, in the car, on the boat, etc...

It's a bit pricy, but does have alot of features.

In the troop, I usually carry it on hikes, again mostly so we have an exact position, and afterward we can figure out things like exactly how far we walked, climbed, etc....

We also do some Geocaching sometimes when we're on campouts, and others will bring along thier GPS units for that.
Vernon L. Palango
Scoutmaster, Troop 131

The best progress is made in those Troops where power and responsibility are really put into the hands of the Patrol Leaders.
-Lord Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership
vpalango
Life

Postby Chief J » Wed May 17, 2006 11:44 am

I started out with a Garmin e-Trex Legend, and have recently moved up to the Garmin 60Csx.

The color screen and the removable memory cards for loading maps is great. This unit has alot of bells and whistles, but what I like the most is that it can acquire and hold sattelite positions where my eTrex could not.

I have even had satellite reception while indoors sitting at my dining room table.

Even though I carry and use a GPS, I always have my trusty compass and a good Topographic map of the area with me. I still carry the compass I carried as a backup when I was in the Army.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun