Use of Scout Reservations by non-scouts

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Use of Scout Reservations by non-scouts

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:53 am

My troop just returned from a weekend of camping at a scout reservation and had a great time. However, what we found strange was that a local girls high school swim team (approx 20 teenage girls) and their coach (a man) camped (in a cabin) this weekend as well. The only adult that was visable to us was the male coach. There may of been others inside the cabin but this seemed strange.

By the way, the boys in my troop got real excited to find out there were girls at camp and forgot about things they wre suposed to do.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Woodbadgegirl » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:25 am

That High School coach is setting himself up for some major problems! That is why I firmly believe in the TDL of scouts! I'm never alone with my scouts!! Even women have to be careful of that!!

I think I would ask the scout camp why they allowed non-scouts and if that is their policy. Next time you might check with the camp and see who else has reservations that weekend, and maybe plan to go to a different camp if there are too many non-scout groups. JMHO, ya know.
Woodbadgegirl
Star

Postby OldGreyBear » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:45 pm

I know our council often "rents" out its facilities to groups that are not scouts. Every couple years the regional LDS church has a week long "summer camp" at one of the Council Camps. I see nothing wrong with having other groups pay for use of our facilities, it spreads the financial load over a greater area. As far as liabilities go? I sure hope thats covered in the rental agreement, or I may need to change my tone
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby Rick Tyler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:46 pm

One of our Council camps is used for winter training by US Army units from Fort Lewis. They pay for the privilege. Unfortunately for the boys, the Army uses it on weekdays and the Scouts are only there on weekends in winter.
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby West » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:05 pm

Well, how many winter weekdays would the boys be able to use it anyway?
West
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:13 pm

Like it or not Scouting is a business and the councils will do what ever to make money! Our camp is used by only one outside group and part of that group is a Venture Crew and they are well chaperoned. A Reservation close to me has houses they rent out all winter for groups to stay in and go skiing.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby West » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:24 pm

Well, the money to keep the camp open and running has to come from somewhere, better some it comes from outside groups then forceing scouts and their families to sholder the whole burden. It also helps with community relations if other groups are able to use the facilities.
West
Life

Postby Rick Tyler » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:30 pm

West wrote:Well, how many winter weekdays would the boys be able to use it anyway?

You misunderstood, I think. The boys would LOVE to be there with the soldiers. :)
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby West » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:41 pm

Ah right, that's very true. The National Guard helps out with some of the council wide campores and such. They are always a big hit, though the food they provide probably eliminates and recrument value for the Guard.
West
Life

Postby optimist » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:36 pm

Our camps are used by outside groups and I've been at other council camps and seen non-Scouting groups using them. This seems to be a fairly common practice.

Kind of related, two months ago I went to my first orienteering event. At the event, I found out the orienteering club had just held an event at one of my council's camps two weeks before. Apparently it's an annual event and even though I've never heard of it they always do it for two days, Saturday for Scouts, and Sundays for their club members. They had 180 Scouts participate this year.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:56 pm

The main Scout Reservation I camp at allows non-scouts, but, the fee is out of the roof.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Our council has a few properties that they do rent out. There is a big training faciility up the canyon, which also includes the cub day camps, and 11-Year-Old scout day camp. There are a few cabins, and plenty of tent space. Camping there is a fairly good price, and I know many groups have used it. The facility also includes a pool, and small lake (for canoeing). To rent either of those costs A LOT, and they require you to meet the Safe Swim & Safety Afloat guidelines (including a BSA Lifeguard). They have a lifeguard that you can hire, but he is also expensive. They won't rent the canoes and such. You have to bring your own if you rent the water. The big lodge is supposedly available for rent, but it is usually in use for scouting things, and the cost is outlandish. Besides the high cost, they charge extra to use the kitchen, and they require the renter to get a $1,000,000.00 temporary insurance policy. When I asked about the lodge and water facilities a few months ago, they told me they are rentable, but noone ever has. With the prices they quoted me, I doubt anyone ever will.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:23 pm

scoutaholic wrote:Our council has a few properties that they do rent out. There is a big training faciility up the canyon, which also includes the cub day camps, and 11-Year-Old scout day camp. There are a few cabins, and plenty of tent space. Camping there is a fairly good price, and I know many groups have used it. The facility also includes a pool, and small lake (for canoeing). To rent either of those costs A LOT, and they require you to meet the Safe Swim & Safety Afloat guidelines (including a BSA Lifeguard). They have a lifeguard that you can hire, but he is also expensive. They won't rent the canoes and such. You have to bring your own if you rent the water. The big lodge is supposedly available for rent, but it is usually in use for scouting things, and the cost is outlandish. Besides the high cost, they charge extra to use the kitchen, and they require the renter to get a $1,000,000.00 temporary insurance policy. When I asked about the lodge and water facilities a few months ago, they told me they are rentable, but noone ever has. With the prices they quoted me, I doubt anyone ever will.

Exactly the same for us.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Non-Scouts

Postby riverwalk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:26 pm

I know I've helped work on cabins that Council has at some Camps. I was told the cabins were for their Council employees families to use.

Perhaps they also use them in any outreach effort, or angle to reach benefactors? I do think scheduling facility use is important however.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby 616kayak » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:01 pm

This year's JROTC summer camp was at a scout camp. It was a week long and we slept in the tents. Pretty much the same as scout camp.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun