International Travel ideas

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

International Travel ideas

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 am

I am seeing more and more crews and troops heading overseas for super activities. So if you have done this lets post some information on what,where how etc. I was in Ireland on a tour with a band from West Virginia University. Our bus driver and I talked a great deal.I found out he had his own company that did adventure tours in Ireland. I would go with Con anytime. Here is the link to his company
[url]wwww scotiaireland.com[/url]
By the way Ireland and Scotland are beautiful. In Scotland they have the freedom to roam act that allows that you can travel on all property as long as you do not bother it. It was interesting to see tents set up right along the road there. Very good hiking trails and many towns have backpacker hotels.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: International Travel ideas

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:06 am

The Howgill Family Centre in Whitehaven, Cumbria, England has offered to assist any US troop that might decide to venture their way. Whitehaven is a costal town on the west side of England just below the Scottish border.

My troop was very instrumental in securing housing for 12 of the 14 nights the Howgill boys spent traveling Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles in 2012, finding them lodging in churches, Scout camps and Scout offices, as well as an Air Force base. We hosted them for 2 nights ourselves, including a campout the 2nd night with 2 other troops attending.

I'd love the idea of a motor tour of their part of England and Scotland, but our troop is unable to come up with the moneys that such a venture would require. Perhaps another troop/team might make contact with them and make touring plans.

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun