Canoeing MB required for Canoeing Trips...?

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Canoeing MB required for Canoeing Trips...?

Postby ismellbacon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:14 am

So, I had a great time at another session of University of Scouting this weekend!

In one of my classes I heard something that struck me odd...

The instructor stated that in order to go on a Canoe trip each "paddler" needed to have completed the Canoeing MB...

This threw me for a loop because I don't remember reading that anywhere, but I know that the GTSS is always changing. I thought about doing the, "show me in the book where it says that." But, I didn't want to embarras her esp. before checking.

I looked through the guide, under Safety Afloat, and all I could find was that if a canoe trip lasts more than 4 hours then the scouts need a 3 hour training class or successfully navigate a 100 yrd course. Also a Padlle Craft Safety trained supervisor is recommended but not required.

Am I missing something?

In the past, my troop has ensured that all the scouts pass the BSA swimmers test and recieve a safety brief prior to canoeing.

Our typical trip is to canoe about 1/2 mile to an island where we camp for the weekend. Those scouts that are working on the Camping MB can spend additional time on the water during the weekend to get their 4 hours on the water.

But, we do plan on doing a 5-day trip down the James River next year, and I want to make sure we are "within policy."

Thanks in advance!!
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Re: Canoeing MB required for Canoeing Trips...?

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 am

Short answer is no. You do not need the canoeing merit badge to participate in any sort of canoeing activity. You do need to have passed a swim test in the last year or follow the safety afloat rules for non swimmers. So you could have somebody who has the canoeing but who has not passed a swim test in the last year so cannot participate.

The leaders need safe swim defense & safety afloat. You also need somebody who has the skill set for canoeing that SSD & SA will not give you.

The leadership need to make sure the youth have the skill set needed to for the trip. The minimum would be what you quote from SA. You also need to look at the planned trip & be sure the scouts have the skills to manage it. Since there is a wide range of quality of instruction, I would not accept any merit badge for proof of skill.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:26 am

Don't believe everything you hear at a University of Scouting.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Quailman wrote:Don't believe everything you hear at a University of Scouting.

What if you read it on the Internet? :)

Actually I prefer to interpret what the presenter was saying is to make sure the participants have the skills needed to do the tasks. That is also in the "Safety Whatevers" worded somewhat differently.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ismellbacon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks guys.
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Just follow the rules under Safety Afloat and SSD.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Dont forget the Swim test is not a year to year item. It must be administered at the beginning of each swimming season.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:59 am

My understanding the swim test is good for 12 months. While it is preferable to do them at the start of swim season, they are still good for 12 months regardless of when they are taken. This is a minimum standard. As the event leader you can require a higher standard or retest if you feel it is needed. IE some people can pass a swim test in a pool, but not the same test in a lake.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm

ismellbacon wrote:The instructor stated that in order to go on a Canoe trip each "paddler" needed to have completed the Canoeing MB...

That's almost as silly as saying you have to have Camping MB before you can go camping.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ismellbacon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
ismellbacon wrote:The instructor stated that in order to go on a Canoe trip each "paddler" needed to have completed the Canoeing MB...

That's almost as silly as saying you have to have Camping MB before you can go camping.

AMEN!
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun