Touring Washington DC

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Touring Washington DC

Postby DadScout » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Does anyone have any ideas for campsites near Washington DC? Our Scouts want to head down there in the Spring and I'm looking to see if I can do this without hotels. So far I've found Camp William Synder (Scoutcamp) in Haymarket VA and Greenbelt National Park just off the beltway. However, I don't know much about these camps/parks so any first hand knowledge or ideas would be appreciated.
Bill
DadScout
Life

Re: Touring Washington DC

Postby ronin718 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:22 am

Camp Snyder is the local Cub camp, but it's built out really well and can accomodate multiple styles of Scout groups. They have tent camping like any regular summer camp, but they also have cabins available with bunks and full facilities if your group wants to go that route. Here's the link for more info on Snyder...

http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/openroste ... rgkey=1933

You might want to look into Prince William Forest down in Dale City, VA. They have great cabins, may also be able to provide tent sites, and have one of the best orienteering courses in the area.

If you give me a mileage radius you're looking to stay within and how primitive you want to get, I can give you more ideas.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby DadScout » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:54 pm

I was trying to make it easy to get in and out of Washington and somehow make it easy to
get out and back up to NY. So I was looking to be say 45 mins out of Washington on the MD
side. Seems everytime I've had to take the beltway I'm stuck for 2 hours getting around
Washington to VA. Could just be my luck and being from NY I should be immune to it but I'd still
rather avoid it if I can.

As far a facilities, tenting is fine. Would hope there were showers but could survive
without them.
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby Quailman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 pm

The Baltimore Area Council has Broad Creek Memorial Scout Reservation, but it's about 80 miles form the White House. When you go, though, you'll want to find the first Metro station you come to and ride the rest of the way.

Cedarville State Forest (MD) has youth group camping. I think it's near Brandywine.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 pm

The Scout area at Greenbelt National Park is quite nice, and a short distance fom the College Park Metro Station. Many troops have used it and found it very convenient. Near the U of Md, and shopping, too.

See: http://www.nps.gov/gree/planyourvisit/s ... ations.htm
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby ronin718 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:30 pm

DadScout wrote:I was trying to make it easy to get in and out of Washington

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OH MAN!!! We've got a comedian in our midst!! There's no such thing as an easy in and out of Washington.

I'm not too familiar with the MD side of the river within 45 min of DC. If you got out further, you could look at a couple camping places along the C&O Canal in Brunswick, MD. If you were here during the week, you could take the commuter train from Brunswick into Union Station.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun