Personal watercraft

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Personal watercraft

Postby Fred Johnson » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Looking for reliable answer to a bit of confusion on my part.

Scouting.org web site says...
(d) Motorized personal watercraft, such as the Jet Ski? and SeaDoo?, are not authorized for use in Scouting aquatics, and their use should not be permitted in or near BSA program areas.

Why the question marks?

Related
- G2SS says personal watercraft are not permitted.
- BSA summer camps are starting to include personal watercraft

Is there a transition going on? Are the not permitted? I ask because a father in our troop is offering the use of land and equipment for a summer camp out. Could be a lot of fun. We probably have all the needed training in the troop. Just not sure if we can use the watercraft.
Fred Johnson
Life

Re: Personal watercraft

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:31 pm

From Scout Wire (Nov 2011): ATV & PCW are authorized for council level programming. There are some specific hoops they have to jump through. They are still prohibited for unit level activities.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Re: Personal watercraft

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Fred Johnson wrote:Looking for reliable answer to a bit of confusion on my part.

Scouting.org web site says...
(d) Motorized personal watercraft, such as the Jet Ski? and SeaDoo?, are not authorized for use in Scouting aquatics, and their use should not be permitted in or near BSA program areas.

Why the question marks?
Those are supposed to be either the ™ Trademark (small TM Superscript symbol) or the ® Registered trademark ( R in a circle) symbol, that aren't being displayed properly in the on-line version. They display correctly in the printed document.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun