LNT Training

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

LNT Training

Postby Mrw » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Howdy everyone. Is anybody out there aware of any LNT training oppurtunities like a LNT awareness workshop, LNT trainer course, or any other kind of workshop or course availabel thru scouts or others groups. Searching the LNT.ORG site really didn't help me out so I'm giving the shout to you guys.

Something withins a couple hours of Cleveland, OH would be great.

I appreciate the time you took to read this!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Re: LNT Training

Postby alex gregory » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:28 pm

National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) is probably the best program.

You can check out the LNT Master Educator Course options at http://www.nols.edu/lnt/master_educator.shtml

More info at http://www.lnt.org/index.php

LNT.org has lots of info regarding workshops, youth training, etc. I'm surprised you could not find anyhting helpful at LNT.org. It is the end of the season, but keep on looking because lots of programs should start up after the holidays. You can also invite/host an LNT Traveling Trainer for an event (you can find the link at LNT.org).
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:08 am

Also check with your council. I would assume that they have a registered trainer. We (Chippewa Valley Council, WI) have a small section on LNT during our Outdoor Leader training (Scoutmaster III) which is presented by a LNT trainer. Fortunately, he is "in" our Troop, so we have no problems with the Leaders or Scouts receiving training. That is where I would start.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:39 pm

MRW:

My Woodbadge (GWRC, Stigwandish) patrol's guide took LNT...said it was EXTREME LNT.
She lives in Rootstown, OH (Buckeye Council).

Just sent her an email asking where she took LNT.
Will let U know.

Billiken
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Update on this: BSA just approved the LNT Trainer course as of 21 February. It is a 16 hours course set up somewhat similar to SM Outdoor Skills. According to the literature that I had access to this weekend: 16 Hour course is required to be a Unit LNT Trainer. The requirements to attend the LNT Trainer course are: Adult: Anyone, Youth 14 Yrs old and at least 1st Class. These individuals then present a 3 hour course to other Scouts and Leaders. Once again, according to what I read this weekend, the 3 hour course is required in order to sign off on any LNT requirements such as those found in T21 and Camping MB.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Cowboy: If you listen to the people who make the LNT koolaide, they will tell you that. It might even be true in their mind. LNT is a separate organization that BSA is a member of. To be an official LNT trainer, you need to get their training similar to needing red cross certification need to teach red cross courses..

But to sign off on advancement requirements, you only need an understanding of what you are signing off on & SM permission. I have not seen from an official source what training is required for the POR. Or even that it has an age requirement. Although it make sense that the scout understands what he is suppose to be teaching. BTW. The prerequistite to teach the LNT segment at ITOLS is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. :o

To say you need to attend an 16 hour to be be to teach your scouts about LNT in is in the least counter productive.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:03 pm

My council is having a course in a couple of weeks. I've tried promoting to our troop, but I don't know if anyone is going to attend. I had scout activities 4 w/e in Feb and 2 in Mar., so I have to pass, but I'd really like to go.

Ifo is here: http://www.shac.org/Home/Training/LeaveNoTrace/n
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Frank: Yep, you are basically correct. The 16 hour course must be taught by an LNT Master Trainer. The 16 hour course prepares the individual to conduct the 3 hour training in the Unit or at a MB Clinic, etc. I am getting my information from the BSA sylibus that was authorized on 21 February and distributed to LNT Master Trainers. We are currently working on setting up the training in our Council, but it is slow going because a lot of the required materials are not yet available (sound familiar?) due to the program just getting off the ground.
Cowboy
Eagle

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun