Online Tour Permit

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Online Tour Permit

Postby VenturingL » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Used this for the first time yesterday. Minor confusion on a few points (there are 2 places to click "create"), but actually very simple to complete. I like the fact that information you will use repeatedly (vehicles, driver license #, training records) are stored - just update as needed & click on the ones you need for subsequent permits. You also get pop-up warnings if you leave something out that is required and hyperlinks to additional documents. Submitted it last evening at 6:49 pm; got approval via email at 12:11 today. Print out is 5 pages - driver license #'s are replaced with a row of ***. This should really help those who are not close to a service center.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Re: Online Tour Permit

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:12 pm

There is no reason Not to file a TPnow with the online feature
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 pm

wagionvigil wrote:There is no reason Not to file a TPnow with the online feature

Your computer is an Apple? :evil:
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Been using online TP for at least 9 months now.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Fibonacci » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Completing a Tour Permit application using Troopmaster takes about 3 minutes to fill in the blanks, a few minutes at troop meetings collecting signatures, and less than a minute to scan & e-mail.

I used the on-line version earlier this week, and it took at least half an hour. I had to enter everyone's information (again), sometimes it didn't "take" and I had to repeat it, and I couldn't ever figure out how to create a business plan or whatever it continued to request. The authorized tour permit came no faster than the ones we've received from Council.

I'm not convinced it's an upgrade, but I'll try the on-line version again next time we need a Tour Permit. At least now I have three of our drivers fully entered.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby FrankJ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:38 am

The online system has a really clunky interface & it really only works with IE. Use IE & get used to its quirks and it does ok.
When adding training and drivers, DO NOT forget to click on the update permit button. otherwise you will lose your data. You can also sort be clicking on the column header for drivers & training.

If you are happy with the troop master version, you will probably not gain much from the online version until your council starts making you use it. (maybe never?) One advantage with the online system is that you do not have to have access to your troop master so more people can do the TP
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:15 am

PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair!! :P

Apple computers should work without any problems as it works fine on Linux.

I am using Firefox 3.x on a linux machine and have no problems with the online tour permits. You need to make sure that you have installed all the appropriate plugins i think their website uses Java. Firefox will usually tell you why it cant display something.

I believe that i have also completed the TPs from my wife's computer using Google's Chrome browser. The first couple of times it takes a while to input all of the training and vehicle data and you need to click on the update button at each screen when you make changes or it will not save. After you learn a couple of quirks the system is very quick.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby fritz1255 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:04 pm

We are (apparently) not totally on-line with these yet, unless someone can tell me different. I use what seems to be an on-line PDF editor, which can only be used when I am connected ot the Council website by internet explorer. Has the advantage that all of the information is legible (no more having to write 1/16" letters to fit in an impossibly small blank). The disadvantage is that they are still asking for totally irrelavent infomration that has to be looked up - both street and EMail addresses of tour leaders (The council service center is going to mail out letters to both?) and date of expiration of positions (December 31 of that year, like for eveything else?). After completing the permit, I get signatures and fax to our local service center. Am I missing something here? Ideally, I could see a system where we Email in the completed form with electronic signatures, but I don't see a way to do that.
fritz1255
Life

Postby FrankJ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:24 pm

fritz1255 wrote:We are (apparently) not totally on-line with these yet, unless someone can tell me different.

You apparently found an online pdf. The online tour permit system is different. For one thing, you get to from myscouting and your membership # need to show that you are registered with the unit you are doing a tour permit for. It does not ask for the leaders address. It does ask for email addresses that it uses to email approval. Signatures are not required. If you CC & SM are properly registered on my scouting, they will get emails as well.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:17 am

For those using the online TP . DO you get a hard copy back that it was approved?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:13 am

You get an email back that it was approved the TP as a PDF attachment. The CC & SM (or equivalent) also get the email assuming that they are registered in my scouting as such.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Online tour permits are great! The system is quirky as heck, but I'll take that any time over faxing in a hand written document and maybe getting a response or needing to call a week or two later.
Fred Johnson
Life

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun