100th Birthday: What is your council doing?

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

100th Birthday: What is your council doing?

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:53 am

I've just volunteered to be on the 100th. committee to handle awards. What activities are your councils planning? We are meeting in two weeks and would like to have some ideas!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Re: 100th Birthday: What is your council doing?

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:47 am

Judging by the responses so far, not much.

We are merging councils. :)

All district events in 2010 will be council events. Klondikes, Camporees etc. Haven't heard of any thing else although there is supposed to be a committee working on it.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby DadScout » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Our council is planning a council-wide camporee in the fall of '10. They're trying to have it within the council borders at a large centrally located county park. Given the location it would not only get many units together for loads of scout fun but would also be a great promotional event. The last time they had a council wide camporee had to be over 5 yrs ago.
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:23 pm

NR area 4 is having and all council camporee in September on 2010 at Moraine State Park
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:09 pm

So far, that's what we're doing . . . . an all council camporee at the Rhinebeck Aerodrome and museum. It includes a service project, tours of the museum and hangers, plus an Air Show and campfire.

Anyone have any "in town" activities for each town/village/city within the council boundries?
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:15 pm

wagionvigil wrote:NR area 4 is having and all council camporee in September on 2010 at Moraine State Park

This will include all 10 councils in Area 4. It will be called Campaganza
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby jr56 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:46 pm

A big regional camporee.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:39 am

We're having a big shindig at Minute Maid Park. It will feature members of our Houston professional sports teams, Governor Perry (an Eagle Scout), and the guy who first said "Houston, we have a problem." (hint - it's not Tom Hanks). Details are available at http://www.boyscouts100.org/.

Houston just elected a new mayor Annise Parker I'll bet they don't invite her.

We'll be having a council-wide camporee later this Spring.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:21 am

Quailman wrote: and the guy who first said "Houston, we have a problem."

Also an Eagle Scout.
Grew up in Cleveland and Milwaukee.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby philpisch » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Northern Star council has alot of 100 year anniversary events going on. Huge Star Camp in May. History book. Monuments. Special Recognitions. The most important to me is the completion of the new permanent base camp built in the local metro area for day camps, special activities and administration. :D

http://www.nsbsa.org/100Years/Default.aspx
philpisch
Second Class

Postby biglou » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:10 am

Bill Pitcher wrote:Anyone have any "in town" activities for each town/village/city within the council boundries?

My hometown of Brockway, PA is honoring the BSA for the 100th Anniversary during the "Old Fashioned Fourth of July". They print a promotional booklet and artwork painted by a local artist will be featured on the front cover. I am also organizing as many Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venturers that would like to march in at the beginning of the parade and whatever else I might get talked into :lol: ! I am excited about this. My town has the "oldest, original Troop of the Bucktail Council". Troop 40 was formed November, 1921 and will be celebrating 90 years in 2011. They 4th committee is also looking to invite someone from National. Not sure on who yet. I guess someone knows someone important. That is Plan A. I prefer Plan B but cannot let that one out of the bag. Sorry.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 am

Quailman wrote:We're having a big shindig at Minute Maid Park. It will feature members of our Houston professional sports teams, Governor Perry (an Eagle Scout), and the guy who first said "Houston, we have a problem." (hint - it's not Tom Hanks). Details are available at http://www.boyscouts100.org/.

It's this evening. Also, I'm attending a luncheon at the Houston Petroleum Club at which Col. Leo K. Thorsness will speak. He's one of seven Eagle Scouts to have also been awarded the Medal of Honor.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 pm

Well, we had our event last night. It was pretty amazing. There were displays (OA, Scout Shop, Astros and Texans giving autographs) in the concourse around the field level seats. Before the main presentations began, Eagle Scout Ezra Charles and his Texas Blues Band entertained, at least until his piano burst into flames. Don’t worry, it was part of the act.

The list of honored guests was impressive. Eagle Scout Rick Perry (Governor of Texas), Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn, Eagle Scout Jim “Houston, we have a problem” Lovell, Col. Leo Thorsness. They also showed a video of two guys floating in the ISS. One had his Cubmaster shirt on – he’s with a local pack – and the other, also an Eagle Scout, wore his MB sash. Then they came on stage (they’re back now) and presented the memorabilia that they had carried with them.

The last presenter was Eagle Scout Rex Tillerson, CEO of Exxon Mobil. He introduced a Cub Scout from New Caney, TX while they showed a video reenactment of why he was being honored. He had been in a parking lot when someone was hit by a car and was bleeding profusely below the knee. While two adults told each other to call 911, he took off his shirt to make a tourniquet to slow the bleeding until help arrived.

I think there were between 15,000 and 20,000 people in attendance.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun