Tour Permit to attend Roundtable

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Tour Permit to attend Roundtable

Postby SMTroop240 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:02 am

Last night I had a crew CC tell me that his crew leaders would not attend venturing roundtables because they didn't want to file a tour permit each month.

Where do they come up with these things?
East Lyme, the home of Lyme disease.
SMTroop240
Second Class

Re: Tour Permit to attend Roundtable

Postby FrankJ » Thu May 07, 2009 11:10 am

If I was in that crew, I would take it to be a clear sign that I needed to change crews. :roll:

I wonder if they pull a tour permit to go the the service center to pull tour permits?
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 am

They are obviously making excuses. Either that or they have Lyme Disease.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby evmori » Thu May 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Now that is just silly!
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu May 07, 2009 5:19 pm

SMTroop240 wrote:Last night I had a crew CC tell me that his crew leaders would not attend venturing roundtables because they didn't want to file a tour permit each month.

Maybe.....just maybe.....he was thinking about the youth that attend sometimes.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:23 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:
SMTroop240 wrote:Last night I had a crew CC tell me that his crew leaders would not attend venturing roundtables because they didn't want to file a tour permit each month.

Maybe.....just maybe.....he was thinking about the youth that attend sometimes.

So what? TP still not required.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FieldSports » Thu May 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Why is that so silly :?: TP is for any trip away from the home meeting site. RT is not their home meeting site. Why the exception for RT? and if so, are there other exceptions?

However, tell them to file a TP with 12 meeting dates at the same site. Then they are only filing once a year.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Any council or district function or activity is exempt. AT least in most councils as is travel to your own councils summer camp.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby scoutaholic » Thu May 07, 2009 7:42 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Any council or district function or activity is exempt. AT least in most councils as is travel to your own councils summer camp.

Not 'round here. We check tour permits when troops check-in at district camps.

Never heard any mention of them not being needed for district/council functions.

TP#s are required on the application for the council Year-Round-Camping award (camp in 10 months of the year, including at least 1 long-term camp). If there were no TP for district/council camps, then there would be 4 camps each year without TP# for the award application.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 pm

You guys out west need to travel a lot furthur than us easterners. Our council does not require a TP for what I mentioned. You are preregistered to be there so they know you have to get there.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:33 pm

You follow your council rules. I'd be very surprised if the council required TP to go to R/Ts. If we had to have TPs attendance would be less than zero

The on-line TP system will allow a Camporee coordinator to dump a listing of approved TPs before the event

The Summer Camp we are attending only requires TP from OOC troops.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby evmori » Fri May 08, 2009 7:12 am

wagionvigil wrote:Any council or district function or activity is exempt. AT least in most councils as is travel to your own councils summer camp.

While I agree RT is exempt, summer camp & district camporees are not.
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri May 08, 2009 7:19 am

As we are seeing each council can alter the rules. Should they all be standard? or should each council be permitted to exempt certain activities

Ed does your council enforce that? I certainly doubt it as When tod they need one to come to the cave you would think we asked them for a million dollars or you get, what is that? Seriously!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri May 08, 2009 8:40 am

smtroop168 wrote:So what? TP still not required.
True, however, some CO's, the CO's Lawyers's and the CO's Insurance add an additional layer of requirements for YP.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Fri May 08, 2009 9:11 am

If I were to answer this question in a serious way, I would tell him that round table is not a unit activity & so in no way would require a tour permit.

The only reason for a tour permit is to insure you are running outings in a safe way & following BSA policies. When you start filing them or requiring them for paper works sake, then you are going down the wrong path.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm

we typically do not have a lot of youth at our roundtables. If they are not traveling as a unit then there is no need for a tour permit.

Our council does not require TPs for district or council events if you pre-register.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Fri May 08, 2009 10:19 pm

wagionvigil wrote:As we are seeing each council can alter the rules. Should they all be standard? or should each council be permitted to exempt certain activities

Ed does your council enforce that? I certainly doubt it as When tod they need one to come to the cave you would think we asked them for a million dollars or you get, what is that? Seriously!

When Kevin was here yup!!
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby SMTroop240 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Well, the verdict is in from our Council SE, and tour permits are going to be required for youth scouters to attend roundtables under the following conditions:

1. If the Youth Scouters are traveling to the Round Table as a group representing a particular troop, crew or ship.
2. If they are driving themselves and representing a particular troop, crew or ship.

If they are driven by a parent or legal guardian, if they walk, or take public transportation no tour permit will be required.

We actively encourage the youth leaders of our crews and ships to attend the monthly Venturing Round Table, and target the training portion of the RT towards them. They also help set the training agenda and the schedule of venturing events for the district at our June round table.

My guess is that this requirement will be sumarily ignored, or used as an excuse not to attend.
East Lyme, the home of Lyme disease.
SMTroop240
Second Class

Postby evmori » Wed May 20, 2009 1:58 pm

SMTroop240 wrote:Well, the verdict is in from our Council SE, and tour permits are going to be required for youth scouters to attend roundtables under the following conditions:

1. If the Youth Scouters are traveling to the Round Table as a group representing a particular troop, crew or ship.
2. If they are driving themselves and representing a particular troop, crew or ship.

If they are driven by a parent or legal guardian, if they walk, or take public transportation no tour permit will be required.

We actively encourage the youth leaders of our crews and ships to attend the monthly Venturing Round Table, and target the training portion of the RT towards them. They also help set the training agenda and the schedule of venturing events for the district at our June round table.

My guess is that this requirement will be sumarily ignored, or used as an excuse not to attend.

What's the difference how they get there? Sounds like someone is trying to get eliminate the youth from attending Venturing Round Table :oops:
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Well, the verdict is in from our Council SE, and tour permits are going to be required for youth scouters to attend roundtables under the following conditions:

What a waste of every bodies time. And we wonder why people avoid tour permits?

I can see and support requiring tour permit for activities that carry risk or significant driving. But requiring TPs for clearly authorized activities just encourages people to ignore the rules.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Next

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun