Tents

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:46 pm

I highly recommed the ALPS Mountaineering Tents They give great pricing to troops Plus at the Jamboree they were the only ones I saw that actually kept everything dry.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby stevenscout » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:38 pm

My troop does not own tents. It is up to the patrols to figure out tenting arrangements. Some people just sleep on the ground. Me being one of them :D I haven't slept in a tent on a scouting trip for about a year. We camp every month. Does anybody else love sleeping under the stars?
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
Micco Chapter Vice Chief 2004
Kaskanampo Chapter Chief 2005
Kaskanampo Vice Chief of Ceremony 2006
Quartermaster January 06-May 07
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby Mrw » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:29 pm

We live in Ohio and there is this funny white stuff floating around today. Sometimes in the winter we get a whole lot of it at one time and it covers the ground.

Tents are a must.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby stevenscout » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:37 pm

We don't have that problem in Alabama.
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby diamondbackAPL » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:51 pm

This is Shane, and I love sleeping under the stars. I've only done it once though, and it was pretty sweet.
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby stevenscout » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:12 pm

I have no idea how many times I have done it. I have slept on the bare ground, under a lean-to, in a debris hut, and in an igloo. All were great experiences.

stevenscout
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:47 am

My troop in the olden-days didn't have troop tents. We used whatever the boys could find.

Campsite inspections were usually done at district camps by the OA. There was a standard inspection sheet with 100 points possible. This covered basic cleanliness, safety, etc. If a troop got the full 100 points, then there was a bonus section that only got judged if the troop was 100% on the basics. I don't remember it ever happening, but I suppose if there were a tie in the points, the over-all good impression of uniform tents and organized placement might sway the judges.

My current troop has tents. I don't know how many of the boys have access to tents, but they would be welcome to use them if they wanted to. Usually everyone uses the troop tents, except one ASM almost always uses his own. I would take my own if the troop were to run short, but I prefer to keep mine clean and in good condition for family uses. That way if something happens, the troop pays to replace/repair it's equipment, and mine is still usable for the family.
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby SM-890 » Mon May 22, 2006 3:49 pm

Wagionvigil, thanks for the tip on the Alps Mountaineering. We ordered 4 tents from them and broke them in right this weekend. easy set up and all stayed dry.
Committee - Troop 890
Cherokee/Pickens District
Atlanta Area Council
http://www.bsatroop890.org
SM-890
First Class

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 22, 2006 4:02 pm

Which ones did you get?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Mon May 22, 2006 5:39 pm

This summer all of the Scouts are using Eureka Timberlines. Our troop owns 14 of the outfitter models. Also, we have some Eureka Tentragons, but they are the regular models and we've had some problems with them.

The adults are looking at buying two 6-man tents so they can be in them I think. Otherwise I would guess they will be using the Tentragons.

We are going to the Timberlines XT exclusively as we buy new tents. Our CC owns a business so we have hooked up with a supplier to get these tents for 180 apiece I think instead of the 250.

No personal tents will be used in our campsite this year. Our SM's Marine Corps values are showing thru in our uniformity 8)
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby 616kayak » Mon May 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Eureka tents are great ive had the same one for 7 years and never had to replace a pole. In addition, it has never gotten a hole, the tarp has a hole smaller than a dime. iTs worked out great. The of Eureka's durability make them good troop tents.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby stevenscout » Tue May 23, 2006 12:26 pm

My dad has a Eureka and he loves it. He has had it for several years and there have been no problems that I know of.

stevenscout
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby SM-890 » Tue May 23, 2006 6:47 pm

We bought the Meremac 4's. Plenty of room for 2 and 3 will also fit if needed. I also bought a Denali pack. I like it, too.
Committee - Troop 890
Atlanta Area Council
SM-890
First Class

Postby deweylure » Tue May 23, 2006 7:54 pm

I do not see whypeople are so hung up on using the same type of tent for a troop campsite. It matters how the tents are set for a safe area ie. not under dead limbs,not to close to the fire ring etc. If a troop can only afford to purcdhase a few tents a year they may not be the same color let alone the same model as these do change.

our troop had coleman tents but not enough. I have a Eurka,we just purchased some from Alps .

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby 616kayak » Tue May 23, 2006 8:21 pm

my troop doesnt have troop tents. Our tents are not uniform. I do however feel it can help make a campsite look nice by making it uniform.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby SM-890 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:46 pm

My reasonoing for the same type of tents is not the uniformity, but the ease of set up, especially for new scouts when it is dark & raining. "Grab a tent and go, they are all the same."
Committee - Troop 890
Atlanta Area Council
SM-890
First Class

Postby Mrw » Wed May 24, 2006 7:37 pm

The other good thing about having all the same tents is being able to piece together a couple good ones when the first couple wear out and replace them more slowly instead of all at once.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby vpalango » Thu May 25, 2006 9:21 am

Our troop has troop tents, and we requre new scout patrols to use the troop tents. As a patrol gains experience, we allow them to use thier individual tents.

When they're new, the uniformity is good. But as the scouts gain experience, and get "into" the program they start getting more and more of thier own personal gear (christmas/birthday presents, buying them through thier allownence, jobs. etc...). If a scout is into camping enough to want/buy thier own tent, I fully support them being able to use it on a troop campout. Using the new "gadget" is part of the fun of camping.
Vernon L. Palango
Scoutmaster, Troop 131

The best progress is made in those Troops where power and responsibility are really put into the hands of the Patrol Leaders.
-Lord Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership
vpalango
Life

Postby Chief J » Thu May 25, 2006 10:53 am

We have Troop tents and they are all the same tent. Reason being if one gets ripped, pole breaks, etc we can salvage usable parts to keep other tents in good shape.

However, on campouts Scouts and Adults are allowed to bring their own tents or borrow Troop tents. I have no personal preference. I am no longer hung up on uniformity and yes I spent 8 years in the US Army.

If the Scout or adult is using a Troop tent, they sign it out the meeting before the outing from our quartermaster and are to bring it back the meeting after the outing, clean, dry, and properly folded/stored for the next outing. (Upon turn in my quartermaster will conduct spot checks of tents and such to ensure they are clean and dry.)

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun