Tents

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Tents

Postby hops_scout » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:40 pm

What do your units do for tents? Our troop owns tents, but a lot of people use their own too. It just depends :D
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby optimist » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:44 pm

We do the same, generally allowing Scouts and adults to choose whether to use troop tents or teir own tents. The PLC will sometimes require troop tents at camporees if there is going to be a campsite competition but that's rare.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby OldGreyBear » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:25 pm

Just a question, why would similar tents be better for a competition ?
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby hops_scout » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:35 pm

Uniformity
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby OldGreyBear » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:42 pm

And that would effect the judging? Having different style tents is a negative?
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby OldGreyBear » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:42 pm

And that would effect the judging? Having different style tents is a negative?
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby hops_scout » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:10 pm

Having sites with multiple different colors would yes. If mine was yellow blue, and white (which it is); yours was purple, and black; and another person's was green and red...
They arent very uniform are they?
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby OldGreyBear » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:36 pm

Well, I am just enough of a Libertarian that if the troop I served lost points because of different colored tents, I would be having long and serious discussions with Commissioners, DE's, CE's and Council Chairmen.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:10 am

In all my years of camping and attending camporees...I have yet to see anyone get points deducted for not having the same kind and color of tent.

What about a troop that just started and didn't have any equipment yet?

What about a troop made up of scouts who couldn't afford their own tents so they just used whatever they could get?

GET REAL!

Our troop has their own tents...however, the scouts as they get older usually choose to bring their own. But there is always a variety of tent styles and colors.
Guneukitschik

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:52 am

Never heard of campsite judging at a camporee. WE have troop tents but some times we do not have enough so if an adult has a tent they bring them . ALso most of the OA guys have their own tent for OA weekends. We have gone to camporees with out tents just a tarp to cover you with over and under on the ground . Lets see them judge that. If you arn't being judged on a Scout Skill it is unimportant. My Opinion!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:06 am

I have seen them inspect campsites for safety issues, etc... but I've never heard of a competition either.
Guneukitschik

Postby scoutmasterbob » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:03 am

25 years ago, when I was a scout in my troop, when we would have a Council camporee, we had campsite competitions. The award was for the "Model Camp"

While we were out enjoying the camporee events, campsites judges would visit everyones campsites and they would look at things like camp cleanliness, fire safety ( we had buckets of sand and water between each tent) axe yard set up according to BSA guidelines, tent placement in the campsite, (are the tents set up in an orderly pattern or just higgeldy piggeldy), Flags displayed properly, was everyones personal gear stowed in an orderly manner, uniform inspection was a part of it as well.

The troop I was in won all the time, its to bad that is not done more, I have seen some of my scouts tents at camp, very scarry, but back when I was a scout it was a source of pride and teamwork as a troop.
Bob Torkelson
Scoutmaster Troop 538
www.wx5troop538.homestead.com
Roundtable Staff since 1994
Eagle-1983
Woodsbadge-2000
Fox Patrol
Live The Oath!
scoutmasterbob
Star

Postby evmori » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:03 pm

We have Troop tents for the Scouts and adults.

We always do Campsite Inspections at camporees. Tent color never comes into play. It's more for safety & special items like gateways.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby commish3 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:16 pm

I am baffled by the need for "uniformity". Where does this notion come from?

I have taught camping skills for a long time and taken a lot of instruction as I am sure many other posters have. Here is what I learned and taught.
Tents are selected for how their features meet , use, purpose, environment, budget.

Tent placement depends on ground conditions, weather, obstructions and obstacles, safety.

Isn't our mission to teach youth how to make good decisions? Do we really teach them to put up a tent based on what looks nice? I hope not.
commish3

Postby Guneukitschik » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:16 pm

Our Troop in the past has gone on a campout with the requirement that all scouts must build their own shelters and then sleep in them....believe me uniformity is the last thing on their minds! It actually turns into a competition of sorts! and the younger scouts learn alot from what the older scouts construct! A great learning experience!
Guneukitschik

Postby t305spl » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:44 pm

We require the scouts to use the Troop tents. The adult leaders sometimes do too. If their arent enough tents the adults bring their own.
t305spl
Eagle

Postby El_Coqui » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Back in the first troop I was we saved money and got tents for all the boys and adults. Since the troop's tents were for about three scouts, the boys that were in the OA sometimes got smaller tents, but if they wanted they could borrow the troop tents.

The idea of buying troop tents was for uniformity (as said already in this forum). At some camporees here uniformity and camp layout is part of the evaluation (how the tents are arranged and a couple more details). Even though troops that have different types of tents don't get point deducted (they have to arrange them in a way that looks good).

AJN
ASM T-96
El_Coqui
Second Class

Postby Guneukitschik » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:47 am

I think that troop tents are a great idea! however, you have to be careful that they are cared for properly and that you have ample storage space for all of your equipment.

Also making sure that ALL the tents used for a campout get hung up and dried out properly can be a challange!
Guneukitschik

Postby optimist » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:48 am

Sorry, folks, but you misunderstood. Points aren't taken away because of a lack of uniformity (at least not at our camporees) but having tents that are all the same size and color in a well planned layout gives a good impression and it never hurts to impress the judges :)
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby Billvann » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:35 am

commish3 wrote:I am baffled by the need for "uniformity". Where does this notion come from?

I also remember camporees where the neatness and uniformity were part of camporee site judging. I remember stretching a rope from one end of our "lot" to the other so we could set the front edges of each tent in a straight line. What does that have to do with camping skills? Not much. But then I never considered camporees to be exactly camping either. Living in a tent city for a weekend is far different than normal campouts when normal camping skills are practiced.

I would consider campsite competition and it's desire for uniformity (among other requirements such as safety) to be more akin to a drill team competition. What do frilly dress uniforms with each member's hat cocked just so and spinning rifles in the air have to do with soldering? Not much. But such competitions foster team work, dicipline and pride. and although they are not directly related to good camping skills, they are valuable traits to teach and encourage scouts.
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Next

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun