Road Trip

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Road Trip

Postby Lynda J » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:47 pm

We talked last night about summer camp for this coming summer. A couple of the boys ask about doing a Road Trip Camp. Where we traveled from site to site. Possible through Arkasnas, Texas or Oklahome.
Has anyone ever done this type of trip and if so how did it work.

It worries me that we might end up spending so much time in a car. Not sure I want 10 hrs with 4, 13 year olds.

It sounds like fun and I have been doing some research on things to see in Ark. I grew up there but haven't lived there in close to 40 years.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:56 pm

There are lots of possibilities to explore with that kind of a trip. The important thing is to give the boys ownership of it, if they want to plan it and do it, let them.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Believe me they will plan the activities. Several months ago one of the parents complained that he didn't think the boys were doing anything that meeting. He didn't realize that there were three groups scattered around the room. It looked just like they were talking. But they were split up working with the younger boys on rank. He thought they were just goofing off.

Our boys do their planning that is one of the things that I enjoy about working with our SM.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Billiken » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:55 am

Some ideas:

DisneyWorld in Orlando, FL has a specific program for BoyScouts (you camp at Fort Wilderness).

I know of troop that head to the Carolinas (camp overnight on the USS Yorktown).

You can also hit (stop at) various National Parks/Sites along the way.
See www.nps.gov
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun