Camping checklist

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camping checklist

Postby Eagle2007 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:30 am

I just recently had some new scouts added to my Troop. What I need to give them for the upcoming campout is a checklist of things to bring. I know the basics but when camping I always find I've forgotten something that could have come in handy.

My question is this...
:?:
Does anyone have or know of a list that exists that includes everything. Not so extensive that it takes days to read but more than the basic mess-kit, sleeping bag, tent combo.
:?:
Writing such a list would require more time than I currently posses. This list would also help some of my older boys in becoming more efficient/productive (including myself). My ideal one would include things like sunglasses, toothpicks, rope, and things like that.

Thanks
Life Scout
OA Member
Eagle2007
Scout

Postby Mrw » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:04 am

We have the basic list we give our boys posted on our troop website

www.troop223.info

Take a look and see if that helps. Feel free to copy if you want.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 am

Have you looked in the Boy Scout Handbook?
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:37 am

The handbook has a list the Field Book has a list the Camping MB book has a list.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WVBeaver05 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:35 am

As the previous posters have mentioned Scout literature, starting with the Handbook and Camping MB booklet have great checklists. The Scout Masters Handbook has them too.

I want to congratulate you on using and wanting to use checklists. They are great tools and can really save the day. I have used them since .... well, for a long time. My oldest ones were hand written, with check marks, crosses across the checkmarks, dots, etc. to show the various times that it was used. In today's world, I keep one on the PC and print it each time I need it -- a big time saver. Additionally, just like my OLD handwritten one, I add things as I review each campout. I even occassionally remove things. I necessary, I would keep a separate one for camping and backpacking.

I have found it difficult to convince many Scouts of the benefits of checklists. They seem to think it makes them a "sissy" or that they aren't really good at what they are doing if they need a checklist, or that they don't really need it. To this I (and you if needed) can point out things like the checklist that even experienced pilots use or to be more glamorous the ones used by astronauts.

So congratulations on wanting to use this tool. Start with the ones that you have at hand in your handbook and add items from your experiences and keep adding and keep using it.

And, as I tell all my students (youth and adults alike), "...use the resources that you have..." and that starts with your key resource --- your Scout Handbook.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:37 pm

I was also going to suggest the scout handbook, fieldbook, and camping MB book.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby PPC_NYLT » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:41 pm

enough has been said about the scouting literature, so im not going to mention them again...don't forget the internet--google is a wonderful thing!!!
W

Eagle Scout~12/18/05
NYLT~The Youth Leader's Woodbadge

NAYLE~NYLT on the next level
WFA, SAR, COPE, History, Conservation and a trek in 1 week!

"Primus inter pares"
"First among equals"
PPC_NYLT
First Class

Thanks

Postby Eagle2007 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:11 pm

These were all very helpful.

Thanks
Life Scout
OA Member
Eagle2007
Scout

Re: Thanks

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 am

Eagle2007 wrote:These were all very helpful.

Thanks

What is surprising to me is that you are an OA member with 29 MBs and did not know that this information was available in your handbook.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby fritz1255 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:27 pm

Our checklist: http://www.geocities.com/tr18bsa/Equipment_List Note that it is somewhat specific to our Troop. My problem with some of the other checklists I have seen is that you would need a tractor trailer to bring the Troop to an outing. Anything we should add, please chime in.
fritz1255
Life

Postby Fibonacci » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:04 pm

To fritz1255
Anything we should add, please chime in.

This is the Day Hike Ten Essentials list that we use.

Pocketknife & Totin’ Chip
First Aid kit
Extra clothing
Rain gear
Sun protection ~ sunglasses, hat, lip balm
Water bottle
Trail food
Flashlight ~ maybe extra batteries
Matches & fire starters
Map & compass

I noticed that your (overnight hike) packing list doesn't include a water bottle or sun protection. Sometimes we add insect repellant to the list, as well.

Also, I have never carried a pillow in my backpack. What a luxury!

The teacher in me suggests that you run your list through a spell-checker.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby fritz1255 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks for the response. We will include insect repellant and sun protection in an addendum of "seasonal" items - most of our campouts are fall, winter, and spring, and these are not needed every time. On the other hand, we camped at a Delaware beach last June, and were eaten alive, despite bug repellant

Spelling mistakes are my son's fault (how's that for passing the buck?), since he does the web site. We'll get them corrected eventually.

I have an inflatable pillow. Works much better than wadded up clothes in a stuff sack. There are others that are compressible. All of them take up a fair amount of room in your pack, so I guess it's all a matter of priorities.
fritz1255
Life

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun