Dangerous Activity???

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Dangerous Activity???

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:50 pm

Yesterday I had a Group of Girl Scouts at the Cave. They had been in the area for 2 or 3 days at that time. AS we were gearing them up to go climbing and rappelling one girl cried when we tightened the harness around her legs. Not a normal response. In asking a few3 questions I found out the Following.
On Saturday several of the girls went White Water rafting at Ohiopyle those that their parents felt that Rafting was Too dangerous went horse back riding. The young lady that cried had gone horseback riding. Short story is that while they were riding a group of dirt bikes and ATV's came out of the woods and sppoked their horses alsmost all the Girls and Instructors were Thrown.
I said well I guess you should have gone Rafitng since it is alot less dangerous. They all agreed. Hope their parents will see how much they erred.
Any activity has the potential to be dangerous if things happen or if safety procedures are not followed. ALl activities have the potential to be totally safe and fun If all the Safety Rules and Procedures are followed.
My vote for the most dangerous activity is Capture the Flag or any variation there of.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby JazerNorth » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:08 pm

When at scout camp, a boy from another troop ran straight into a tree. They were playing capture the flag in the dark. The onsite medic, after he got the boy fixed, was laughing at the stupidness of the boys to go running around in the woods in the dark.

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Try running at Full speed after dark and Encounter a Ground Hog Hole. Saw It Not a Pretty Picture.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: Dangerous Activity???

Postby 616kayak » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:50 pm

I would have to agree about the capture the flag. I think Something about sprinting through the bush at night.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby hacimsaalk » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:30 am

our troop is BIG into capture the flag. we play both at night and during the day. i will say that at night there is ALOT more risk for injury. we havent had anything more than a banged up head or a twisted ankle, but i know it does get pretty hairy sometimes.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby maricopasem » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:44 pm

How about rock jumping into lakes, etc.? I work with adult leaders who run the spectrum as to whether or not that is an acceptable activity.
maricopasem
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:58 pm

^This is an aquatic activity so it must meet the Safe Swim Defense rules Which it does not!
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby maricopasem » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:07 pm

How does it not meet the criteria? If a safe swim area has been established it more than meets the requirements. The only other stipulation is the depth of the water, and even that is a non-issue because they are allowed to go in feet first.
maricopasem
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:20 pm

I said that for a couple of reasons.
1. I would expect the troop would do it regardless if it did or did not meet the requirements of ssd
2. Looking from the outside as to health and safety I would expect that if litigated the leadership would loose. When a council can be sued because of a lighting strike which is out of everyones control, this would be an easy target for someone.
Leaders must weigh the risk. Are you willing to take that risk? Does it really meet the ssd requirements? If I can say it does not then guaranteed some attorney will prove it does not.
40 years ago it would probably would not even be thougt about But Today??
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WVBeaver05 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:54 pm

How does it fit with:

Guide to Safe Scouting - Diving and Elevated Entry wrote:...no diving or swimming activity of any kind is done in water with a depth greater than 12 feet.

Any elevated entry from a height greater than 40 inches must be feetfirst and only from a fixed platform or solid footing no more than 60 inches above the water surface. Clear water depth should be 10 to 12 feet.
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:21 pm

Fits to a T.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:46 am

WVBeaver05 wrote:How does it fit with:

Guide to Safe Scouting - Diving and Elevated Entry wrote:...no diving or swimming activity of any kind is done in water with a depth greater than 12 feet.

Any elevated entry from a height greater than 40 inches must be feetfirst and only from a fixed platform or solid footing no more than 60 inches above the water surface. Clear water depth should be 10 to 12 feet.

Looks like the G2SS prohibits most rock diving type activities.
The water must be no more than 12 feet deep, and the rock must be no more than 5 feet above the water surface for feet-first jumping only. The rock must be only 3.5 feet above the water surface for diving.

I personally would not have made the rules quite that strict, but them be the rules.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Words?

Postby riverwalk » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:24 pm

Diving or jumping, what they're hoping to avoid is injuries in water too shallow for the action. So if people will evaluate their area by their traing, they may make the activity safer. In other words, just jumping into something without thought, has gotten most of into some kinda trouble, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby maricopasem » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:01 pm

Looks like the G2SS prohibits most rock diving type activities.

Good call. Thank you.
maricopasem
Life

Postby pipestone1991 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:54 pm

hacimsaalk wrote:our troop is BIG into capture the flag. we play both at night and during the day. i will say that at night there is ALOT more risk for injury. we havent had anything more than a banged up head or a twisted ankle, but i know it does get pretty hairy sometimes.

Yeah but it is a lot more fun at night........as long as you move slowly (less chance of getting caught) you'll be okay. Anyway, we usually play in a large field anyway.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Ground hogs live in fields. NA have big deep holes
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun