Fire Lighting Methods

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Fire Lighting Methods

Postby stevenscout » Mon May 15, 2006 4:45 pm

I was just curious what people have done to light fires at camporee's, summer camp, etc. We just had a camporee and we lit the fire off with model rocket engines.

stevenscout
Eagle Scout
SPL July 05-December 05
Micco Chapter Vice Chief 2004
Kaskanampo Chapter Chief 2005
Kaskanampo Vice Chief of Ceremony 2006
Quartermaster January 06-May 07
JASM May 07-
stevenscout
Second Class

Postby 616kayak » Mon May 15, 2006 4:54 pm

dryer lint in a ball it starts good and is always in your dryer.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 15, 2006 5:55 pm

steel woola nd a 9 volt battery works great.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby DadScout » Mon May 15, 2006 8:04 pm

For my Outdoor leader training it was a flaming arrow shot from about 25' away but it was teathered to a metal cable so it wasn't flying free, just sort of set in motion. Would have been great if it didn't get snagged 1/2 way and one of us had to give it a shove.
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby MisterChris » Mon May 15, 2006 9:38 pm

I remember when I was in scouts centuries ago (well, ok, in the last century) :wink: that they had a flaming arrow light the fire from 100 feet away, at Land Between The Lakes near Murray Kentucky.

It was an actual practice arrow shoved through a roll of toilet paper soaked in white gas, suspended on a steel cable right down into the heart of the fire. worked like a charm.

Man, it was IMPRESSIVE!!! :!: :!: :!:

I remember once they lit a bonfire with a pocketful of flash powder and a remote spark. Al O WatsisKima called down lightning from heaven to start the fire. KABOOM!!!! :!: Bright bright bright white flash of light. We couldn't tell if the fire was lit or not for almost 15 seconds. Retina shadow, ya know. All we saw was spots. Even Al had disappeared. The old disappearing Indian trick. Cameramen use it all the time.
Eagle Scout since 1978

Third of 3 Eagle Scout sons of OJ 'Jump' Solaas, promoted to heaven 05/1988

http://www.troopole97.com
MisterChris
Star

Postby hacimsaalk » Mon May 15, 2006 10:24 pm

at our camps, we're too dang lazy to do anything tricky. we usually have the fires lit before everone shows up. lo l
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby OldGreyBear » Mon May 15, 2006 10:57 pm

who is the world is "Al O WatsisKima"?
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Tue May 16, 2006 2:24 am

OldGreyBear wrote:who is the world is "Al O WatsisKima"?

Alawatsakima is the chief in the Order of the Arrow ceremonies. I have seen many ceremonies where he or Meteu (the Medicine Man) calls upon the spirits to bring us fire.

Sometimes we did it with a remote spark (buried wire, and a rocket starter). Sometimes we just had the indian guides with us light the fire with their torches. I have also seen the arrow on a wire trick, and it can work well. One thing we often did to impress the boys was throw in a handful of black powder. It flashes and sparks, and they think we did something magical.
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby MisterChris » Tue May 16, 2006 9:42 am

OldGreyBear wrote:who is the world is "Al O WatsisKima"?

Sorry, OGB, just a little 'tongue-in-cheek humour at BSA expense. No offense intended, I'm an OA member myself (Ordeal). But I guess I can't claim that if I don't catch my dues up.

For an additional 'humour' blurb on fire-lighting techniques, consult with George Goble.

This is definitely NOT in the G2SS (or in any other safety guide!! ) but since liquid Oxygen isn't readily available for purchase, I thought it would be okay to post it as a little humour on how he lights HIS fires...

http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/

Definitely don't try this at home. And don't be in the same city.

Moderators, feel free to delete this post if it's too 'out there' for prime time. But I guarantee it'll get a chuckle out of the leaders. And maybe an OMG ROFLOL
Eagle Scout since 1978

Third of 3 Eagle Scout sons of OJ 'Jump' Solaas, promoted to heaven 05/1988

http://www.troopole97.com
MisterChris
Star

Safety first

Postby riverwalk » Tue May 16, 2006 12:11 pm

Well, this safety nut has to get past the safety concerns first....then I can appreciate some of the neat firestarter methods. I've also seen the impressive ceremonies, and they are good ones to remember. But if the show turns into more of what the pyro guys want, we've lost our way with the ceremony.

So KISMIF, and keep safety and mission in mind. And keep sharing the unique ideas for others to consider.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Mad Dog » Tue May 16, 2006 1:14 pm

How do you rig up the steel wool and battery?
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Tue May 16, 2006 1:26 pm

There are several ways we have done it so experiment. One was letting the battery upright and just drop the steel wool on it from above.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby vpalango » Tue May 16, 2006 1:32 pm

Mad Dog wrote:How do you rig up the steel wool and battery?

I've seen this done a number of different ways.

1) get very light weight steel wool "000".

2) Rig two sides of the circuit about 2" apart on the steel wool at the bottom.

3) Put some kind of very dry/light tinder on top (wood shavings, dryer lint, etc...) on top to get things going, with progressively larger tinder, kindling, and then the main wood content.

4) When ready to light, connect the conductors to the battery and watch it light.

The key to this is creating a practice rig (just the wool and initial tinder) to experiment first. I've used a car/boat battery, or an older battery charger without the cutoff curcuit in newer ones. Make sure if using a battery to FULLY charge it prior to attempting this trick. At full charge you get the maximum wattage from the battery to make it work.

Just as a note, this pretty much won't work at all if things are even a little bit damp. You need to create your lighting rig on a very dry surface (I've sometimes used a small platform that I've made out of lashed together kindling to keep it from being directly on the ground.

For the conductors, you'll probably need to go to the hardware store, and get a couple of spools of wire, something light like 14 guage wire should be fine. You will need to pre-set the wire, burying it in the ground under the fire, and out of the fire pit. It's also best if you can rig it to be removed once the fire is lit.

Again, do some experimentation with materials, but it's a relatively easy trick, and it produces a good effect.
Vernon L. Palango
Scoutmaster, Troop 131

The best progress is made in those Troops where power and responsibility are really put into the hands of the Patrol Leaders.
-Lord Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership
vpalango
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Tue May 16, 2006 1:35 pm

All you need to do is have the steel wool come in contact with the two terminals on the battery
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby JRTroop270 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:16 pm

my troop has done and seen a lot of different ways to do it.

1. we lit it with one of those 500 degree starters that the military uses it set all a big bang and was flaming instantly.

2. we used the steel wool and battery

3. (not exactly safe) bug spray and a long neck lighter

4. tiki torches (saw OA use them at Tap-Out)

5. titanium fire starter and a knife
J. Redzinak
Star Scout
Troop 270
JRTroop270
First Class

Spray

Postby riverwalk » Mon May 22, 2006 1:13 pm

Can't do #3 unless you allowed someone to have a spray can thingy. And they don't need to be there, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun